Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 12:32:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
722 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 753
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 722
Total: 722

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

More exciting than a simulator

Started by Maurice, April 22, 2013, 05:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice

I haven't been excited about simulators for a while now but tonight, I got excited watching a dot of light moving in the clear night sky for about 3 minutes

No, that wasn't a UFO. It was the International Space Station. For a few months now, I have been getting occasional emails from NASA when the station is visible in my area. Tonight was my first chance of seeing it and I was mesmerized for a few minutes. I guess there still is a bit of a child left in me somewhere.  ::)

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

Nat Crea

Space Station Simulator? XPlane could do it for you LOL  ;D

Nat

dc8flightdeck

Quote from: Maurice on April 22, 2013, 05:54:18 PM
I haven't been excited about simulators for a while now but tonight, I got excited watching a dot of light moving in the clear night sky for about 3 minutes

No, that wasn't a UFO. It was the International Space Station. For a few months now, I have been getting occasional emails from NASA when the station is visible in my area. Tonight was my first chance of seeing it and I was mesmerized for a few minutes. I guess there still is a bit of a child left in me somewhere.  ::)

Maurice

Very cool, but I get to one up you. I got to see the space station with the space shuttle trailing behind as it prepared for re-entry. Cool stuff! 

My big regret is once turning down the chance to see a night launch. Very dumb on my part :(

N737AG

Once the DC circus decided to stop space shuttle operations, I took it upon myself to drive to KSC to watch the last launches. I got to do it 6 times.

Living near Miami I could always see them from my house. Night launches were specielly amazing.

Driving 3.5 hrs to KSC, arriving some 3 or 4 hours early to get a good spot and then driving back for 3.5 hrs were well worth the 2 minute show of the actual launch.

Axel

Maurice

Quote from: N737AG on April 23, 2013, 03:22:40 AM

Driving 3.5 hrs to KSC, arriving some 3 or 4 hours early to get a good spot and then driving back for 3.5 hrs were well worth the 2 minute show of the actual launch.

Axel

Fully agree that it would be totally worth even a 12 hour drive to see an actual launch. Seeing a dot of light in the sky does not qualify as spectacular in any way, shape or form, but it moved me somehow knowing there were people in there in that lonely, scary, yet spectacular environment. Who would not trade their simulator (even X-Plane Nat) for an actual ride in the space station? :)

Maurice

blueskydriver

Hi Maurice,

Since you enjoyed that spec of light so much, you might enjoy using this Ipad program:

http://www.gosoftworks.com/GoSkyWatch/GoSkyWatch.html

http://www.gosoftworks.com/GoSkyWatch/About.html

It's a $3.99 app that you takeout outside at nightime (or day) to use for viewing the planets and stars. It'll tell you the names for everything you see, but also point out where they are. Both Karen and I have this app on both our Ipads, as we're the types with our heads in the clouds literally. There is so much to enjoy, as well as an escape to the woes of men (and women) when we actually see how small they are in comparison just by looking up...

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Maurice

John,

I know of this app and I was going to get it but where I live, the ambient town lights wash out most of the stars. I need to get away from city lights to enjoy staring at the stars but I'm too lazy to bother. There is a designated night sky preserve about 45 minutes from my place and I have been there three times since last year but you have to wait for a moonless, clear night and when I went, there were no clouds but a fine haze which ruined the view.

Sometimes I wish I lived in the sticks somewhere :)

Maurice

z06z33

Quote from: Maurice on April 22, 2013, 05:54:18 PM

Maurice
I love watching ISS Ive seen it many times what's so cool is when I was viewing it a few nights ago it was over Canada and I could see it in Alabama

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate