Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 01:04:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
549 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 562
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 549
Total: 549

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Is a solid knob the way to go?

Started by stephenbalmer, April 26, 2013, 08:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenbalmer

Hi friends,

I suspect this title may raise a little interest. However, there is a genuine question of your opinion on 737 cockpit build knobs - are the sold knobs a good and pleasing solution or would you suggest the transparent, back-lightable ones are the better option, despite the crazy prices?

Out of secondary interest, where are you guys sourcing the cheapest 737 knobs from at the moment.

Cheers, Steve.

Sean

Hi Steve

I wouldn't worry about backlit knobs. The real ones aren't.

My preference would be for knobs that have the indicator lines engraved and painted on, rather than a cheap sticker.

I currently have a few FlyEngravity knobs, which are fine apart from the cheap sticker, but I'm expecting some knobs from Jacob, via Anders next week...

www.knobs.se

Sean

stephenbalmer

Thanks a lot Sean, they look really good. Ta also for the info on the real 737 knobs, I really could not tell if they were back-lighted in photographs I have reviewed.

I have further info on the ovh switches, but will post there.

Steve

philb737

Hi Steve ,
The real knobs are in fact backlit and very expensive , if your panels are capable of illuminating the knobs like real panels ::) ...I would go with the transparent knobs !!! Otherwise,as Sean suggested I go for a supplier that engraves or paints on the stripes onto the knob rather than a sticker solution .
Cheers
Phil   
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while!

Joe Lavery

If it's any interest to you Steve, I bought a quantity of transparent knobs from FDS a couple of years ago. They come with grub screws and the thin stripes. They are stick on but believe me they don't come off.

It's easy to get them painted, a I recall you can get the right colour from a car paint supplier in spray cans.

I've attached a picture of one I used in the magazine (PC Pilot). You'll have to contact them directly though, because they don't have them on their website  any more. If you drop Peter Cos a line I'd be surprised if he wouldn't sort some out for you.

Hope that helps

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

stephenbalmer

Thanks very much Sean, Phil and Joe.

I will drop an e-mail to Peter at FDS and see if he has or can lay hands on the clear knobs for me.

Cheers!

Steve

Sean

Hey Phil. Do you have any photo's that show the knobs as backlit?

I have a few internal night cockpit shots, and not one shows that this is the case.

Just curious.

Sean

philb737

Hi Sean,
Look at the Elec panel knobs and the cross feed knob.
Phil
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while!

Buster99

Hello Sean,

as Phil has shown, many of the knobs have backlight. I have also seen this in R.L. and in 737 simulators.
I managed to get several clear acrylic knobs (K1) from Sismo Soluciones that I believe are very nice.
You can see them on their website: http://www.sismo-soluciones.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=34&Itemid=1  it also shows the cost per knob, VAT still needs to be added though.
For other knobs, check www.simquip.com under 737 -> Panel Hardware, or www.knobs.se
I hope this helps,

Best Regards,
Marc

Sean

Cheers guys. 99% of the photo's I have are of the MIP and that's what I was basing my assumptions on.

Looking at the 1 night pic I have of a partial overhead, it looks like the illuminated switches are particular to certain ones, e.g. the pressurisation mode selector switch (and cross feed as pointed out) are illuminated, yet the engine start and wiper switches are not.

Interesting. Minor, but interesting.

Sean

MLeavy737

Old topic I know however I was just looking at overhead before on my flight to Sacramento and for some reason I thought of this post lol.. The only illuminated knobs on the overhead are the Pressurization, Elec panel , and Fuel X-feed.. Maybe too late I know but Ah-Well :)

Mike L
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate