Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 11:54:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
576 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 595
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 576
Total: 576

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

The $13K Curved TV?

Started by Trevor Hale, June 27, 2013, 06:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Hale

Any of you guys up for a Couple of these bad boys?

Samsung Electronics announced the availability of a curved OLED TV at an event that it held in Seoul, South Korea. Samsung says that the new TV will deliver quality images from any angle or vantage point due to its unique curved design. The TV features thousands of self-emitting diodes promising to deliver richer and brighter images compared to current LCD TVs.

Samsung says that its manufacturing technology strives to eliminate the potential for any defective pixels while also providing a "flawless" image.

The TV also features compatibility with Samsung's Evolution Kit that allows users to upgrade the TV to support future advances. The TV will be offered in 55 and 65-inch screen sizes supporting ultra high definition image quality.

Samsung says that the TV will be available in Korea at major sellers starting at 15 million KRW or roughly $13,000 in the U.S. making it roughly the same price as competitor LG's curved OLED TV.

While Samsung says that the TVs are ready for purchase now, Reuters reports that Samsung is having some significant issues with production. According to Reuters, screens for these OLED TVs are coming from a small pilot line with an estimated yield of only 30%. The difficulty with production reportedly comes from problems in spreading the organic light emitting material evenly across such a large screen.
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Joe Lavery

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

XOrionFE

LOL Joe

Actually I will pass as the bezel looks to wide!   :o

Scott

HarryZ

Can you imagine what the cost would be if they got to a tv that would give a 135 degree surround view for a sim?!!!!

Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

Trevor Hale

LOL Harry...... (Call CAE at that point) LOL
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

jackpilot

Remember the first flat Lcd monitors at 1-2K$ ??

Jack

ETomlin

Yep, this is pretty cool stuff.
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

Joe Lavery

Have you guys seen the new flexible screen that Samsung have made for thier new phones? I know it's only a small screen at the moment but it has a very good field of view and as Jack said, they all start out horrendously expensive.

Not that long ago I bought an AMD Radeon 1950 XFX, it cost me over £300. They're selling them on eBay at the moment for between £10-£20.

We just have to wait a bit longer....  8)

Joe
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

HarryZ

Quote from: Joe Lavery on June 29, 2013, 06:07:44 AM
Have you guys seen the new flexible screen that Samsung have made for thier new phones? I know it's only a small screen at the moment but it has a very good field of view and as Jack said, they all start out horrendously expensive.

Not that long ago I bought an AMD Radeon 1950 XFX, it cost me over £300. They're selling them on eBay at the moment for between £10-£20.

We just have to wait a bit longer....  8)

Joe

Saw that small flexible screen being demonstrated  in a news item on tv well over a year ago.  First reaction I had was...man, would that be great in a full size for a sim!

Haven't seen any applications for that screen since so don't know where it is in the development stage.

Harry
Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

Joe Lavery

Harry, they announced some more on this a couple of days ago, they're calling the technology YOUM.

Have a look at this YouTube video.

Samsung Flexible Display at CES 2013: 'YOUM'

Joe

HarryZ

Quote from: Joe Lavery on July 03, 2013, 03:34:48 PM
Harry, they announced some more on this a couple of days ago, they're calling the technology YOUM.

Joe,

Yep, that's the same type display as I saw last year when it was first announced.  I'm drooling at the thought of what kind of projector screen might come out of this!

But I'm sure it will be at least a few years before we see anything close to the size that would be needed.

Harry

Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate