Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 09:54:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
46 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 51
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 46
Total: 46

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

FSX vs Xplane vs Flythissim vs?? vs?/

Started by Jimboflight, July 01, 2013, 08:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimboflight

Ok so  this is potentially where I look really stupid.  BUT if at all possible could someone in very simple language (if possible) explain he pros and cons of the various sim software packages available? Jackpilot recommended Xplane over FSX and it makes me very curious.  Is there some where this topic has been discussed that I could check on?
In fact for a novice the whole question of various software packages for many functions is interesting but whenever one reads  posts on them the writer assumes the reader knows the basics of the functions of the software packages.  Any help here?
Thanks
Jim

jackpilot

Hi

James, Nat and Scott are the Xplane guys...not me

Happy with a super smooth and reliable  FS9, I would'nt dare to change anything, especially a major switch to smthg like XPlane which, in my opinion, is nevertheless a fantastic option.

Jack

FredK

Jim -

You have posed a simple but extremely broad question which is the reason I think there has been very little response.  Where to even start to answer?  Keep in mind that this forum is focused on actual "cockpit construction".....that is, building a replica of an actual airplane cockpit.

That encompasses at least 6 distinct areas:

(1) Physical construction of the cockpit unit
(2) Mechanicals construction and/or mounting (eg, throttle quadrant, yokes, rudders, etc.)
(3) Panel instrumentation and wiring (MIP and overhead)
(4) Electronic interface (eg, Interface IT, IOCP, etc)
(5) Avionics software (SIM-A, Project Magenta, others, etc.)
And finally, to your point....
(6) Visuals Software (namely FS9, FSX, Prepar3D, or Xplane)

The decision regarding selection of the visuals software has mostly to do with personal preferences regarding eye candy. Each of the programs mentioned will run fine on modern computers.  FS9 is the older generation of Microsoft Flight Simulator and is the choice if you have less than a high end computer. Microsoft FSX has the most to offer regarding availability of third party software addons. Prepar3D is essentially an extension of FSX....visuals will run a little better than FSX but not as many add-ons are available for it. Xplane is the up and comer....its' main advantage is that it is based on modern program code written to take advantage of multi-core computers.  Up until recently Xplane eye candy was sort of amatuerish but that has changed with the most recent release. For example it is now generally judged superior for night flying but perhaps still a little behind the curve for daytime flying.  Xplane is the only version that has any real active development underway though....Therefore it is deemed to most likely be the future in any event with subsequent improvement releases.  Therefore it is a good option as a foundation to build on for the future. The others are essentially at development dead-ends...particularly the Mircosoft versions.  All of these options can be interfaced with the electronics and hardware of a cockpit.

So.....it is still a little bit difficult to understand your question. For example...Are you concerned about "eye candy"? Visual multi-windowed projection? Interface with an avionics program? Application for a high end vs low budget computer? etc., etc., etc.  The questions can go on forever and certainly no one here is going to write a book about it.  But please elaborate if you have questions that are more specific.

Keep in mind that these flight sim programs are not all that expensive and can be run on any home computer.  A place to start is simply to purchase one or more and gain a first-hand experience if you have not done so already.  Also check out the AVSIM forum which is more focused on flight sim programs as opposed to cockpit building.

Fred

Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

Jimboflight

Fred,
Thanks very much!  I do realize that my question is perhaps unanswerable in a forum such as this, but you did a great job of clarification and does give me direction for further reading.
Yes I am concerned about the eye candy element as I feel it is one of the keys to a realistic flying experience but that is only part of the equation.  For us beginners there is a need to understand how all the parts fit (flight software, avionics and the physical construction of a cockpit).  I do run FSX with some Saitek gear as my entry  to flight sim but you are right, taking a look at Xplane might help push the learning curve.
Jim

Nat Crea

Thanks Fred...I didn't know where to start!

Ill just elaborate on the fact that FSX vs XPplane is more than just the visual department.
The flight modelling is completely different between the two Sims (Im not going into which is better! )
and also FSX is more "developed" in terms of interfacing and cockpit building with FSUIPC.

Like Fred said, buy a copy of Xplane10 and have a good hard play with it.

Nat

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate