Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 04:49:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
430 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 554
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 430
Total: 430

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Dual COMMs in FSX

Started by sagrada737, July 08, 2013, 05:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

I am using FSX with Sim-Avionics for my Sim - each on their own computer.  I have FDS Multi-Comm radios, which are operating correctly.  However, I am only able to use COM1 for communications with FSX.  COM2 seems to be for display only.

Question:  Is there any way to utilize COM2 within the FSX environment?

Basically, I want to switch between both COMMs as needed.  For example, I would like to listen to ATIS on COM2 while talking to ATC on COM1.  It is my understanding that FSX has a limitation to only COM1.  But perhaps someone has come up with a way to accomplish using both COMs.  Has anyone had success with this issue?

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Joe Lavery

I have 2 COM and 2 NAV radios made by Go-Flight but I've made my own face-plates so they look more like 737 radios, and they work perfectly. I can have ATIS on either radio simply by dialing the appropriate frequency. I didn't realise this was not the normal function in FSX.

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

XOrionFE

Mike, Comm2 certainly works but you need controls to use it.   The 737 ACP panel is what does that for you.   You could buy some real ones off Ebay and interface them using FSUIPC offsets.  You could also get a Goflight unit such as an RP-48 and assign the audio panel buttons.    CP flight makes a set that are plug n play.    FDS also has a set of ACP Panels you could buy but I am not familiar with how they can be interfaced (presumably via a sys card connection and normal offsets).

Scott

sagrada737

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I notice within FSX / Instrument Panel views, that there is a Audio Panel.  However, when I click on Both, it doesn't remain in the Both mode, and only Com1 remains active.

From the comments you made, it seems that there is needed an added software module and/or hardware, eg. RP-48 module, which requires some kind of configuration.  Not sure if this is FSUIPC or their own custom driver.

If you could shed further light on this, it would be appreicated.  Thanks.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Kennair

Mike you can use any joystick controller for this and make your own audio panel.  In fact if you have a spare joystick button input to FSX you can map this to the audio offset within FSUIPC to get it going in a very simple fashion.  The Radio Audio offset is 3122 and you'd assign bit 5 to set reception of both comms.  If you haven't already got it, get the FSUIPC SDK and read the FSUIPC4 Offsets Status.pdf   Use the OFFSET WORD SET option in your FSUIPC Button + Switches tab setting with "x3122" as the offset and "5" as the Parameter.  This should then set the audio to recieve both comms when the joystick button is pressed.  Of course you might want to assign other buttons to revert back to either Comm1 or Comm2 by using the same offset with the relevant bit setting.

See you how you go.

Ken.
Intel i73770K | 16Gb RAM | GTX680 | Win7-64 | TH2GO | 3 x 42" FHD LCD TV's | FDS CDU | OC MCP, EFIS, COMMS | Aerosim Throttle | Sim-Avionics DSTD+ | FSX P3D XP10 | FTX | FSGRW | REX2E | Aivlasoft EFB| PFPX | FTG |Kennair

Joe Lavery

If I remember correctly the RP-48 module is used to switch between the Go-Flight radios. And yes they use their own drivers not FSUIPC. So I don't believe they have any effect on the radios in FSX.

I used the original bare RMK-166 modules for my radios, which is basically the electronics board that drives the GF-166 modules. Unfortunately Go-Flight don't sell these any more. They were a cheap way to make your own radios for any setup using your own faceplates. See attached images.
They are configured in the Go-Flight software to whatever function you decide. So the same module can be a COM, NAV, ADF or Transponder. The idea of the RP-48 unit was to allow people who only had one or two modules to switch them, so consequently you could use them for any of these functions. 

I see that Ken has covered the FSUIPC option in great detail, so that is probably the better option for native FSX radios.   

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

XOrionFE

Quote from: Joe Lavery on July 09, 2013, 04:23:19 PM
If I remember correctly the RP-48 module is used to switch between the Go-Flight radios. And yes they use their own drivers not FSUIPC. So I don't believe they have any effect on the radios in FSX.

I used the original bare RMK-166 modules for my radios, which is basically the electronics board that drives the GF-166 modules. Unfortunately Go-Flight don't sell these any more. They were a cheap way to make your own radios for any setup using your own faceplates. See attached images.
They are configured in the Go-Flight software to whatever function you decide. So the same module can be a COM, NAV, ADF or Transponder. The idea of the RP-48 unit was to allow people who only had one or two modules to switch them, so consequently you could use them for any of these functions. 

I see that Ken has covered the FSUIPC option in great detail, so that is probably the better option for native FSX radios.   

Joe.

I agree Joe that it is better to use Fsuipc which I also stated as an option in my post but I do want to make sure that everyone has good information and yes, an rp-48 can in fact be used as an audio selection panel.  I know this because I have one along with 2 gf-166 and a gf-46.   The rp-48 has 8 buttons and 4 encoders.  I assign the buttons as audio controls comm1, comm2, both, nav1, nav2, Mkr, dme, and adf.   They work great.

But again, for a 737 I think best to just assign your own buttons via FSUIPC offsets.    Mike, I believe Jack had some extra ACP panels.  I already sold mine.  Always some on eBay also if you watch for them.

Scott

jackpilot

I have the same system as Joe. Bulletproof.
GoFlight buttons are a breeze to assign with their own driver but they have to be pushbuttons whereas real ACPs are push on push off.

To interface a real ACP use any joystick card  (FDS-FC1 / Bodnar/gutted joystick) go to the button assignement scrolling list in FSUIPC module and use  Transmit COM1 (action when pressed) Transmit COM2 (action when released)
When you push the VHF1 button on the real ACP you transmit on COM1 and when you push on VHF2 (not even interfaced) it releases automatically  VHF1 button and you transmit on COM2.
2 wires only.
The same menu in FSUIPC has an entry for receive on both.

Real ACP (the nice ones):
[ebay]231011148438[/ebay]

Jack

sagrada737

WOW!!!   This is ALL great information guys - so much appreciated.

I have purchased FDS Audio Panels, which I will use and configure for this application.  I will let you know what I come up with.  Thanks again for your help.

As a side note:  My FDS MIP is performing beautifully with SIM-Avionics, and it is a pure joy to be flying this SIM  ;D  I'm a bit frustrated with VATSIM due to the lack of ATC Controllers.  However, PilotEdge offers 8am - 11pm service 24/7 and I find the Controllers very professional - much like I remember flying in the Los Angeles area. 

Mike

XOrionFE

Understand that Pilot Edge and Vatsim are apples to oranges.  Vatsim is all volunteer hobbiest controllers working for free and most have day jobs like most of us.   PE is commercial with real controllers getting paid.  Also much stricter and closer to reality on PE.

You cannot get frustrated with vatsim when it is free and voluntary.

Scott

sagrada737

Amen to that Scott.  I should have stated that VATSIM ATC is on a voluntary basis, but I thought everyone knew that already.  I'm not knocking VATSIM - I think it is great when Controllers are on the Server.    Just expressing that PilotEdge offers greater accessibility.  But you are right in that one is free, and the other is a paid service.

Actually, it makes me think that I should consider training as a VATSIM Controller as it seems they need more volunteers.  But then I'm up to my neck in other activities, so that's not a realistic option in the near future.

Mike

XOrionFE

I wish PE would open up NorCal and even up into Seattle at least.   Only one real good city pair in the current supported area (KLAS KLAX) for 737s.  I suppose you also have KONT and KSAN but they are still all so close.

I actually just put radar contact back on my computer again just to have more options.

Scott

sagrada737

I agree Scott.  Adding those areas would certainly open up more routes.  That said, I just finished an IFR flight from KBUR to KLBG with PilotEdge, and the Controller gave me a really good workout.  It felt like my old instrument training days where you are just slightly behind the airplane.  Whew!  A longer haul from LAX to SEA would provide for a nice break  :)

Mike

jackpilot

As we build up complexity in our sims, so does the workload. (interrelated AC systems vs simplified stock FS) plus the fact that the 737 was never intented for a single pilot. ATC in congested areas is a workload in itself and is next to impossible to handle  while initiating the sequence of actions related to a SID or a STAR unless you rely heavily on flight automation, and even then.

One step we tend to minimize, or sometimes ignore, is flight planning.
As real world pilots, we will never take off for point B without carefully planning the flight including perf/weather/ documents/freqs etc etc, and filing a plan. A step involving at least half an Hour or more. Then another half hour on the check lists ... do we do that in the sim? honnestly ?
Just to say, hard not to be slightly (or completely) behind the tail cone !   :D

Jack

coma24

Quote from: XOrionFE on July 10, 2013, 03:55:25 PM
I wish PE would open up NorCal and even up into Seattle at least.   Only one real good city pair in the current supported area (KLAS KLAX) for 737s.  I suppose you also have KONT and KSAN but they are still all so close.

Wish no more: http://www.pilotedge.net/news/sfo-added-to-coverage-area

Without SFO, a good run was SAN-LAS. The routing is a bit longer than you'd think and actually ends up being relatively long (PEBLE4.SXC LAG DAG.KEPEC3). It's far from a straight line :)

However, with SFO in the mix, there's all sorts of options. I flew SFO-NYL recently in the CRJ, it's a 581nm flight. Suggested flights would be SFO-LAS, SFO-LAX, SFO-ONT, SFO-BUR, SFO-LGB, SFO-SNA, SFO-SAN, SFO-PSP and all the return trips. Lots of options now!

Keith

jskibo

Still routes better served by an ERJ145 sim :)
Less than 4 years to retirement......

ETomlin

Hey guys

Just researching for a friend and not at home to check in person.

So is it possible to not only monitor, but to transmit on COM2 in FSX? For years now I've been under the impression that you could only transmit on COM1.

Thanks for clarification.
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

RayS

Quote from: jackpilot on July 11, 2013, 04:46:37 AM
As real world pilots, we will never take off for point B without carefully planning the flight including perf/weather/ documents/freqs etc etc, and filing a plan. A step involving at least half an Hour or more. Then another half hour on the check lists ... do we do that in the sim? honnestly ?
Just to say, hard not to be slightly (or completely) behind the tail cone !   :D

Interesting point! I have a close friend who is building a 737. It's now flyable to the point of not needing a mouse or keyboard. While he is painfully meticulous with his build, his 'flying' is anything but. Ignoring speeds below 10,000, ignoring ATIS, Winds, ground traffic, you name it, he's busted it. It's painful to watch and confusing that while he spares no expense for the sim, very little attention is paid to the actual flying experience .

...until I started flying as his F/O.

I force him to wait in line on the ground, get clearances, adhere to applicable rules and regulations (At least to the best of my ability). The first time we flew together I simply had him 'hold short' of the active. Our timing was perfect as we watched a 777 land right in front of us. (I had no idea anyone was on short final.. I just thought it would be fun to start introducing real-world elements...)

It just makes for a richer experience. 

Ray Sotkiewicz

KyleH

Quote from: ETomlin on September 29, 2015, 04:22:56 AM
Hey guys

Just researching for a friend and not at home to check in person.

So is it possible to not only monitor, but to transmit on COM2 in FSX? For years now I've been under the impression that you could only transmit on COM1.

Thanks for clarification.

I don't know about FSX, but using FS9, squawk box, and the LevelD767 I am able to transmit on either com1 or com2.
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

ETomlin

Thanks Kyle. Sometime later yesterday it occurred to me what the limitation was:

It's the fact that you can only transmit on 1 radio at a time in FS. In other words, you can have COM1 and COM2, and you and listen or transmit on either, but you cannot have one pilot transmit on COM1 while another pilot is transmitting on COM2. As far as listening to both COMs at once, I'm not sure if that's possible. It might be. Please, if someone knows that I'm wrong speak up so I do not misinform.

Thanks again
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations

757Simulator

Seriously? What's the point listening to two frequencies at one time?

Joe Lavery

Eric, in the real world rarely (if ever) do pilots talk at the same time, except to each other. Usually one pilot does the flying while the other talks to ATC. Even though this is technically possible who would you talk to? It's not possible for more than one aircraft to talk to ATC at the same time. So unless one pilot was talking to ground and the other possibly to tower I can't imagine any other scenario when you would do so.

sagrada737

When I first started this thread, I was intimidated by all the knobs and switches on the ACP panel.   I innitially believed that it was important to have all these functions operational.   A bit older and wiser (subjective), I have now settled on the fact that with my Sim and FSX, I am able to easily communicated on Com1, and monitor on Com2.

The practicality of communicating on both Com1 and Com2, as Joe pointed out, it not a big issue.   However, as a matter of usefulness, monitoring on Com2 can be helpful at times, eg. listening to ATIS coming up on your final destination, not wanting to miss an ATC call.   It's always appreciated by ATC if you have ATIS prior to contacting Approach.

Mike

KyleH

Quote from: ETomlin on September 30, 2015, 05:35:46 AM
Thanks Kyle. Sometime later yesterday it occurred to me what the limitation was:

It's the fact that you can only transmit on 1 radio at a time in FS. In other words, you can have COM1 and COM2, and you and listen or transmit on either, but you cannot have one pilot transmit on COM1 while another pilot is transmitting on COM2. As far as listening to both COMs at once, I'm not sure if that's possible. It might be. Please, if someone knows that I'm wrong speak up so I do not misinform.

Thanks again

Yes, I can only transmit on one com at a time. I can however, listen to both com1 and com2 at the same time. With VATSIM and peoples tendency to not adjust microphones and yell into them, it's a lot harder to make out than the RW, but is possible.
I think my systems ability to do this may have more to do with the LevelD767 and Squawk box combination than FS itself.

As far as the real world is concerned; No it's not really practical for both pilots to be talking on two different frequencies. The only one I can think of is one talking to ATC, while the other is talking to company dispatch on another.

Monitoring both coms is useful as Mike said. In addition in the real world , the other com could/should be monitoring the emergency frequency 121.50.
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

ETomlin

To 757Simulator,

Basically my answer is "what Kyle said".

I'm not wanting to talk to two different people at the same time, I'm simply clarifying what the limitation of the radios in FS are. And as Mike said, many times we try to emulate/simulate complex systems only to discover that we really do not have to have all the functions working. I have folks wanting Audio Control Panels and we were discussing all the features that are useless to us sim builders and I dropped in here to get my mind wrapped around it all again and in the meanwhile remembered the limitation that I later posted.

And yes, nearly every transport category aircraft does have two or more radios and yes, if there's a need (and I've seen it several times in real-word airliner DVDs) one pilot will be on one freq. with ATC while the other crew member is talking to either dispatch, another ATC facility, or even company traffic. We have some guys that like to build to the "nth" degree but I take the approach that Mike mentioned and tend to like to simplify things when at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. In this case here, we can only transmit on 1 radio at all in FS, but thankfully we can monitor on 2.

Thanks guys
Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate