Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 10:24:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
402 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 554
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 402
Total: 402

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Well.... Can't go through with it

Started by MLeavy737, August 13, 2013, 08:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLeavy737

Hey all,
  Well..... I know I posted a few days ago about getting out of sim building however I realized that I just can't do it..  Having made that post and the realization that my sim/parts were going to be crated at leaving my house was just killing me.  The great times ive had building, rebuilding, making new sim friends and the overall companionship have been part of my life for close to 10 years! Heck my firstborn who is now 11 has been hanging with me building since he was 1!  Thinking about loosing it all just left a pit in my stomach for the past week or so.

I really do have to apologize to those that took the time to email me about purchasing parts. I'm truly sorry for changing my mind however I hope you understand and forgive me!

Look forward to being here on the forum with a purpose and a sim :)

BTW I still do have a few items I decided to sell so i'll get back to those who had emailed me about that..

Mike L
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

Ridgenj

Mike, while totally disappointed by not having the chance to complete my office, I am happy to see you taking the right decision.
Welcome back although your where never gone.
My cockpit will go on day to my grandson. A good reason to keep it updated.

Cheers
Luis

iwik

Mike,
It was sad when I read your first post as I felt you were are very much part of this site.
Losing one like you with your valued input seemed a shame.
You now have brightened up my day and THANKS for rethinking.

Les

Trevor Hale

I couldn't agree More..  Made me sick to my stomach too.  Glad your sticking with it.

Trev 
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

jskibo

Glad you're not getting out of this crazy hobby Mike!

Can I fly down and visit the parts I would have purchased?

(Hey I need hours and excuses to build them.  how else am I going to get enough so you can hand walk my application inot the CP? :)  )
Less than 4 years to retirement......

XOrionFE

Great news Mike!   Now if Maurice can get a hold of himself we will all be whole again.    Please talk some sence into him! 

Welcome back
Scott

ETomlin

Congrats Mike!

I have a monkey wrench to throw in here though. I suspect that many folks here (the Maurice's especially) just really need to build something other than an airliner. I think that sometimes, it's just too much of a project to take on and scaling down to a smaller aircraft that allows a bit more flexibility can quickly reignite the flames again- even a multi-purpose sim!  :2cw:

Please dont flame me- I started the hobby longing for a 777 sim way back in 1999, and that evolved over the years to like many different aircraft. I think there's nothing wrong with sometimes realizing that you've been married to the same plane, or wrong plane, for far too long and selling it to start something new is the best thing you can do. If anyone here would like to talk about some corporate or GA aircraft, I'd be glad to discuss options with you one-on-one.   8)

Eric Tomlin
Flight Line Simulations
www.FlightLineSimulations.com (new site)
Integral Lighted Panels, Products, Consultation, & Suppliers

fsaviator

Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

tennyson

Hi Mike.
I haven't been around here as long as the other guys, but I must admit your posts were always so informative and coming from a pilots perspective.
I hold you in high regard as one of the guys who helps out a lot here.

So, to see your last post was a bit of a disappointment and I thought Cockpit builders might lose you.

I'm so glad that you've decided to change your mind. I am so aware of the daunting task of building a sim, mine is about 3/4 done.

So, from me, thanks for hanging in there and hope you and your boy never get tired of flying in the simulated world,

Frank cooper

sagrada737

Hi Mike,

It's great to hear about your decision to hang in there with your Sim.  You are much of the glue that helps to hold this fellowship of HomeCockpit Builders together.  Good to have you back to the world of virtual reality that sometimes seems more like the world than the world - does that make any sense?   :)    Only to a Sim builder...  Welcome back!

Now...  Where in the world is Maurice?

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

philb737

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while!

jackpilot

Jack

jskibo

Quote from: ETomlin on August 13, 2013, 12:59:16 PM
Congrats Mike!

I have a monkey wrench to throw in here though. I suspect that many folks here (the Maurice's especially) just really need to build something other than an airliner. I think that sometimes, it's just too much of a project to take on and scaling down to a smaller aircraft that allows a bit more flexibility can quickly reignite the flames again- even a multi-purpose sim!  :2cw:

Please dont flame me- I started the hobby longing for a 777 sim way back in 1999, and that evolved over the years to like many different aircraft. I think there's nothing wrong with sometimes realizing that you've been married to the same plane, or wrong plane, for far too long and selling it to start something new is the best thing you can do. If anyone here would like to talk about some corporate or GA aircraft, I'd be glad to discuss options with you one-on-one.   8)

If I ever get finished with the 737, I think a King Air will be the next project :)

MLeavy737

Thanks everyone! This is exactly why i couldn't leave!  Bunch of great people here!

Thank You!

Mike L

fdspcos

Just to stick my nose in and add my Two Cents Worth..
Ron Weins is a great freind of mine that came from this community. He was actually the first official "Customer" for me when I started to make parts for other people back in the basement days...
One thing he kept saying around me that resonated very well was to make sure when you are "building" to always keep the sim "Flyable"....
His feeling was that the Building could easily "outshine" the Flying part and that it was critical to balance both. Flying when building was frustrating or parts were needed to continue... Building when things were aligned..
At the end of the day two passions are kept alive.
On a personal note... you guys have to remind yourselves more frequently the actual "Challenge" you have created for yourself.. it is huge. Daunting in fact.. You are trying to replicate a multi-million dollar flightdeck that from our end has 20+ people involved when we make them.. trained, tools, resources, funds all in place.
not so easy the life of a "Builder"....
I always joke with new folks that call FDS about jumping in and remind them about "Balance"... how critical it is to maintain. I suggest they be careful not to be "That guy" that goes into the basement one day and emerges seven months later only to be greeted by the family dog clutching an empty bowl in his mouth and the house vacated, empty...
Certainly appreciate all that is attempted here.. Steve and I are both part of that early first group of builders and we "Get it"...
Good disussion here.
All the best guys.
Peter

hexpope

Quote from: fdspcos on August 16, 2013, 02:16:04 AM
Ron Weins is a great freind of mine that came from this community. He was actually the first official "Customer" for me when I started to make parts for other people back in the basement days...
One thing he kept saying around me that resonated very well was to make sure when you are "building" to always keep the sim "Flyable"....
His feeling was that the Building could easily "outshine" the Flying part and that it was critical to balance both. Flying when building was frustrating or parts were needed to continue... Building when things were aligned..
On a personal note... you guys have to remind yourselves more frequently the actual "Challenge" you have created for yourself.. it is huge. Daunting in fact.. You are trying to replicate a multi-million dollar flightdeck that from our end has 20+ people involved when we make them.. trained, tools, resources, funds all in place.
I always joke with new folks that call FDS about jumping in and remind them about "Balance"... how critical it is to maintain. I suggest they be careful not to be "That guy" that goes into the basement one day and emerges seven months later only to be greeted by the family dog clutching an empty bowl in his mouth and the house vacated, empty...
Certainly appreciate all that is attempted here.. Steve and I are both part of that early first group of builders and we "Get it"...
Good disussion here.
All the best guys.
Peter

Great 2 cent's worth I must say. I get into the same boat as well. I love aviation and this hobby brings that along with my passion for electronics and engineering. The satisfaction of having built something from absolute bare bone materials into something that looks, works, and operates like the real thing is very rewarding.

I am in this part of the hobby for a few years, and man did I have my up's and downs, and some days just banging my head saying " Why?" and pure depressed. Lucky for me, I wasn't faced with the skinny poor dog with the bowl in the mouth with a empty house when I surfaced, but my family to keep it alive and push me on.

MLeavy, I am glad your still in the hobby. Plus, you brought a lot of real flying knowledge to the Boeing sim heads here which is always very great, as obviously getting their sim to as real as it gets with the help of a real B737 pilot. Peace.

MLeavy737

Quote from: jskibo on August 13, 2013, 10:49:47 AM
Glad you're not getting out of this crazy hobby Mike!

Can I fly down and visit the parts I would have purchased?

(Hey I need hours and excuses to build them.  how else am I going to get enough so you can hand walk my application inot the CP? :)  )

John,
  Your welcome anytime! Also im gonna have to meet you in person before i walk your resume in here at UAL so you better plan on it! :)

Hey i was told by the CP here that UAL plans on hiring pilots indefinately into the future. Anywhere from 60-90 a month so get going building that flight time and you can hand over a pic of your sim to the interview panel like i did and get yourself hired!!

Let me know if you ever in town.

Mike L

tkellogg

Mike so glad to hear you're gonna continue with the madness. It's a great hobby and I would hate to see you hang it up. Hang in there.

MLeavy737

Quote from: tkellogg on August 17, 2013, 12:44:18 PM
Mike so glad to hear you're gonna continue with the madness. It's a great hobby and I would hate to see you hang it up. Hang in there.

Thanks Tom! Your right, it is a great hobby!  Was just thinking when i saw your post remembering packing up that shell kit to send you and what an amazing job you did with it!

Hope your doing good!

Mike L

tkellogg

Doing well Mike. We have moved and are living in an apartment we built on the back of our barn on our farm in Madison, Georgia. Sim is in storage until our house sells. Then we will begin building our house. It has a large simulator room in the basement along with a room for my computers and a workshop adjoining the sim room. Can't wait to get the sim back together after the house is built but it will take awhile in this economy. Flying a desktop right now enjoying P3D along with Orbx, FTX Global, PMDG, UTX, and REX. Doing some work on my seats and anxiously awaiting the release of Version 2.0 of P3D. Then will begin upgrading my computer based upon the needs of P3D.

Aerosim Solutions

Quote from: fdspcos on August 16, 2013, 02:16:04 AM
Good disussion here.
All the best guys.
Peter

Absolutely agree Pete and I have advised many builders myself to make their sims flyable asap, it keeps the interest alive and maintains good continuity. This was certainly the case when I did my first 737 build. The second time around my new 737 is slightly different as I decided I would build it to completion before turning the key! I did however build a single seat flight chair as a "push on" and it has served very well with three monitors and TrackIR. It is so good in fact I just can't see myself dismantling it when the Boeing is ready. I think I will keep it to sit beside the Boeing and the Cessna 172, is three sims in the hangar enough? Maybe I will talk to the missus about the A320 sim when she gets back from the divorce lawyer!!!
Cheers Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

Aerosim Solutions

PS Glad to see you sticking at it Mike, even though another possibility of obtaining eyebrow trims goes out of the window! These things are rare as rocking horse sh#t!! I think I need to develop a new product!!
Cheers Gwyn
Boeing 737NG using Prepar3D v4.5, Prosim737, FDS SYS cards, FDS CDUs, CP Flight MCP Pro & EFIS Pro & Aerosim Solutions hardware of course!<br />Check out my website here -<br />http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

jskibo

Quote from: Aerosim Solutions on August 18, 2013, 03:33:07 PM
PS Glad to see you sticking at it Mike, even though another possibility of obtaining eyebrow trims goes out of the window! These things are rare as rocking horse sh#t!! I think I need to develop a new product!!
Cheers Gwyn

Efi makes them Gwyn, PM him

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate