Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 12:25:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
573 Guests, 1 User
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 573
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 573
Total: 574

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

FSX and ActiveSky... Best Weather Setup?

Started by sagrada737, November 28, 2013, 04:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

Being new to this whole Sim world since last January, I started out with with FSX and Sim-Avionics.  As I build up my Sim Project, I started to add scenery, then most recently added weather.   I started with REX, then bought FS Global Real Weather.  It wasn't until I added these to my Sim that I started to notice glitches in the Sim's display and overall Sim operation - sometimes bringing FSX to its knees.  Then I decided to give ActiveSky 2012 a try...

To my surprise, most all of the glitches seem to be gone, with very significant improvements in the visuals, plus the benefit of having real-time weather, which seems to now update smoothly.

I was wondering if others have had a similar experience with weather utilities affecting the behavior of FSX, eg. the typical "display glitch" when weather updates.  Maybe its all in how FSX is configured...   I know that some use REX for textures only.  It seems to me that the less complex one structures (loads up) FSX the better .  Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

HarryZ

Mike,

I have used Active Sky 2012, Opus FS X and Global Real Weather.  Found that Active Sky took the longest to get up and work and had some problems on how the wind affected the a/c.

Opus ran much quicker but had a very difficult time handling the upper wind levels which often resulted in the a/c shifting quickly and uncontrolled from time to time.

Global seems to do the best job at handling the winds but you get a slight flash and stutter every time the weather is being updated.  It's generation of clouds appears to be the most realistic.

Frame rates seem to be affected the same using each program but it really depends on how your FS X is configured as everyone's systems will react a bit differently.

I use Flight 1's Flight Environment cloud textures which are as good as REX or AS 2012.

Harry
Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

sagrada737

Thanks for the feedback Harry.  It is interesting how these different weather utilities affect FSX and the flight model.  Since ActiveSky is working nicely for my Sim at this time, I guess it's as good as it gets with my particular Sim configuration - so I'll stick with ActiveSky 2012 and call it good.  Thanks again.

Regards,
Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Sam Llorca

Hi guys, for all of us that like AS2012,  here is an upgrade that looks very promising, planning on getting it tomorrow, hope you like it as much as I did, videos are great so far, cheers,
http://www.hifitechinc.com/products/product-comparison

HarryZ

Hi Sam,

I'll be getting the updated AS when I get back home. From what I have read  it appears that they have done a good job with the update.

Still in Toronto with Cato doing our large screen commercial installation.  Went to the Apple Store downtown this evening and Cato has improved the Canadian economy with his purchases :-)))

Interested to hear your comments on AS after you get it.

Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

Sam Llorca

Good for you!! Lol, anyways take good care of Cato he is a hard working guy, I'm still working on getting the inside the cockpit monitor hook up, and getting ready to test AS with the new motion platform position, I had a few issues with the CG limits on the center spring, take care my friend I will talk to you soon, say hello to Cato, question? When I'm going to have the pleasure to have you over? You come every year to my next door neighbor but I never get to see you, shame on you!.
Ok brother take care.

HarryZ

Cato was telling me about some of your sim issues and perhaps I may be able to help.  I'll pm you when I get home.

Our installation is having issues due to faulty hardware supplied by the customer.

Today we are going to visit Flight Deck Solutions and show Cato a slick operation!

last 2 years in Orlando have me on a very tight schedule and unable to get over to see you. Perhaps next year.
Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

markfire

Hi guys

Interesting topic. For us users or wideview I really think global takes some beating. Easy to install, great loud depiction and good, steady wind patterns. I don't get too many stutters or flashing on my system but for networked weather it's the business. I tend to use Rex clouds textures only and copy them over to the clients, seems a good combination.

@harryz

Thanks for the heads up on F1's cloud textures, looks promising, I may give it a try.

Good luck with all your set ups and here's hoping Santa brings us all some more flight sim goodies : )

Regards

Mark

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate