Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 11:46:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
569 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 588
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 569
Total: 569

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

TV/Monitor setup, if only to make all us dream about it...

Started by blueskydriver, December 30, 2013, 07:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

I read about the new Samsung 110 inch Ultra HD TV and couldn't help to think about Scott. His 5 display setup is awesome and we've already seen how it has persuaded many builders to go that route. Now, imagine what these 110 inch models would look like in a 3 or 5 display setup:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/29/samsung-110-inch-uhd-tv/

Anyway, at a price of $150k+, it'll be a while before we see these in someone's setup; although, it will happen as soon as the prices of these units drop. Unfortunately, news reports are not good for OLED TVs and OLED products in the large format because of this, so the big curved OLED's we've all...uh, I've... been waiting for might not happen after all...

John

Ps. With me still using 3 projectors, it's hard to think of changing over to TVs, but with 110 inch TVs it does look more appealing...sometimes.
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

iwik

John,
Don't bother with that one Panasonic does one  a 152" for 600,000 Pounds

Les

phil744

Apart from eye-ing up the asian chicks the creative side of me thinks hmmm, suppose if you remove all the structual gubbins from this screen, just have the bare screen glass, wonder how much natural flex there would be?

tried it on a (now scrap) 42" LCD, and you be supprised how much the glass will bend before it screws up

anyone want half a 42" screen? :idiot:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

XOrionFE

I dont think the 100" size would be good for our cockpits unless they were setup in portrait mode.   Really I believe the 55-70" size is best for a 737 setup as you can perfectly fit 5 wrapped around the shell.  With 100" you could do three but I think the views would be ackward looking wrapped around like that.  Now if you put 5 around in a portrait mode it would likely give very nice 45 degree angles per screen like the 55-60" size but would be much taller making it much less able to see top or bottom of screens from within the cockpit.  Really the 60" screens I have I think are about the perfect size and you only see the top or bottoms if you put your face up against the windows.  I would probably opt for some type of HD projection times 3 at any higher price point over the led screens.   If HD projection looks really good and can project properly around or shells it may eventally be the best of both worlds because you could use 3 computers as opposed to 5 and still have great wraparound plus details.    For today though, I love my 5 60" displays for the 737.   I really wish more of you could come by and visit and experience it.  And X-Plane at night in one of the major airport sceneries....omg...all I can say.  :P

Scott

markfire

Hi Scott

Do you think I'd get away with three 60" screens. I'm currently running 5x 40" and I'd really like to reduce the amount of pc's in an already crowded space.

If I had the middle one reasonably close to the nose and angled the other two either side, how far back would they be? Enough to fill the front side windows?

Happy new year to ya

Mark

XOrionFE

Quote from: markfire on December 30, 2013, 03:29:28 PM
Hi Scott

Do you think I'd get away with three 60" screens. I'm currently running 5x 40" and I'd really like to reduce the amount of pc's in an already crowded space.

If I had the middle one reasonably close to the nose and angled the other two either side, how far back would they be? Enough to fill the front side windows?

Happy new year to ya

Mark

3 60s looks good but wont fill out the forward side windows.  Here are some pics to give some perspective with my 60s around FDS shell.  I've also attached a link to one of my videos that does a full walk-around.

Scott

http://youtu.be/YXry4oG5L8E

Nat Crea

QuoteIf HD projection looks really good and can project properly around or shells it may eventually be the best of both worlds because you could use 3 computers as opposed to 5 and still have great wraparound plus details.

But it does...if done right!
Projected images are almost always physically bigger than 3-5 LCD's,
so comparing pixel size is not exactly 'fair'. Although HD is still HD.

I believe 1920x1080 is the minimum rez you need, whether its TV's or Projectors,
(I cant wait till a 2K short throw comes out)
The last 200FOV HD system I setup was in a pretty confined space,
being a FDS 737(with the great SCos) with a screen diameter of just 4m (13ft), smallest screen I've setup so far, but it worked with 0.6 throw ratio.

Not detracting from TV's and Scott's Amazing setup, and there's no right or wrong... just providing a balance :)

Happy New Year,

Nat

markfire

Thanks Scott

You're right, not quite far enough to fill the side windows.

@Nat

Any input is good, although I'll doubt even you could do a PJ setup in my space. 2.7 x 2.7m  : )

Happy new year to you both.

Mark

Nat Crea

Quote@Nat Any input is good, although I'll doubt even you could do a PJ setup in my space. 2.7 x 2.7m

Hmmmm...maybe with mirrors? Nah, TVs win that one!  :D

Nat

blueskydriver

Just thinking here, but is the total width of the two front and two side front windows, if measured from the back vertical frame portions (meaning the frame post between the front side windows and the rear side windows)?

Would a 110inch (9' 10") cover that across the front, and then another 110" on each side? In other words, a three monitor screen setup, but somewhat closer to the windscreens. Would that be possible?

Also, why hasn't anyone removed the bezel/frames from the 3 or 5 large monitor setup yet? Like Scott's, he still has the bezels, but has anyone thought about removing them if you were to get a setup like his? I ask because some of us have removed the bezels from the monitors for the MIP, so why not the large screens; I understand about the warranty factor or resale, but exclude that just for the thought of it. Thus, would the removal of the bezels be enough of a benefit of doing it or not?

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

XOrionFE

Quote from: blueskydriver on January 01, 2014, 05:45:35 AM
Just thinking here, but is the total width of the two front and two side front windows, if measured from the back vertical frame portions (meaning the frame post between the front side windows and the rear side windows)?

Would a 110inch (9' 10") cover that across the front, and then another 110" on each side? In other words, a three monitor screen setup, but somewhat closer to the windscreens. Would that be possible?

Also, why hasn't anyone removed the bezel/frames from the 3 or 5 large monitor setup yet? Like Scott's, he still has the bezels, but has anyone thought about removing them if you were to get a setup like his? I ask because some of us have removed the bezels from the monitors for the MIP, so why not the large screens; I understand about the warranty factor or resale, but exclude that just for the thought of it. Thus, would the removal of the bezels be enough of a benefit of doing it or not?

John

110 across the front would look bad....too big

Then the sides would have to be pulled in almost 90 degrees.  I think this would be a horrible setup.

As for removing casings to have smaller bezels...my bezels are only a half inch.  I imagine that there is probably that much metal on the case holding the led screen or maybe at least a quarter.  Imho - not worth it.   You dont even notice the bezels after a few minutes inthe cockpit.  Your brain removes them because there is so much more to see.

markfire

blueskydriver

Hey Scott, thanks for chiming in on this. I really need to come back down to your place! Otherwise, I am just speculating different ideas, but then again, good ideas spurn from bad ones, from time to time.  :idiot:

John

rhysb

We use the same tvs as scott in our boardroom setup as we are using 4 to create one big screen, we removed the bezels as they sit in their own custom frame ont he wall and there is not much difference in the bezels being there or not. I would say around 5mm less

Rhys.
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

fordgt40

Quote from: blueskydriver on January 01, 2014, 04:53:16 PM
Hey Scott, thanks for chiming in on this. I really need to come back down to your place! Otherwise, I am just speculating different ideas, but then again, good ideas spurn from bad ones, from time to time.  :idiot:

John

John

Scott`s setup is well worth a visit and I have been lucky enough to see both with the projectors and with the new TVs. I can confirm that you do not notice the bezels after a while - you are too busy with everything else going on

The TV`s give a much more vibrant picture than the projectors and the night time scene in X-Plane on a stormy night is something else to wonder at with the great "blacks" that you get. Scott set me up climbing out of London Gatwick (to make me feel at home!) and the lightning ground effects were astounding. I nearly managed to land at City Airport - but it turned into a touch and go! A testament to my poor flying skills that Scott will endorse  :)

David

phil744

---------------------------------------------------------------------
757-200, P3D, LD767,Arduino, panels by some british moron, pile of dead airplane parts and a hammer!

Yeah i got one of these facebook things too http://www.facebook.com/Simvionics

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate