Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 05:06:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
751 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 753
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 751
Total: 751

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Solving Pilot/Co-Pilot Viewing Angles

Started by blueskydriver, February 10, 2014, 03:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

You've likely read about the Fire Truck Simulator in my insanity thread, and hopefully got a good laugh. However, guess what I got from all this...besides the FT Sim? Well, I researched the website of the company that made this FT Sim and I find out that they not only make FT Sims, but they make other types for the civilian and military environments.

Right away I saw something that might be a way to resolve the Pilot/Co-Pilot viewing angles within our flight sims...take a look at the website and this video:

www.faac.com

http://youtu.be/r-qy3TUFdug

You see what I'm talking about? How or could this be done in our sims? Also, these guys are in Ann Arbor, MI.

John

Edited for misspelling.
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

archen

Hello John,
That sim looks FUN :D When will you be able to try it out for the first time? Did you get the appropiate clothes? :D

This is very interesting. I've tried 3D glasses but it gives me headache. I don't know if it's the flicker or the 3D effect itself that gives me headache, probably the 3D effect.
Video games industry uses a similar technology with 3D glasses when allowing people at the same TV play splitscreen full-screen. See here:
Splitscreen + 3D-TV = Vollbild für jeden -- Fullscreen Technik Crack - Deutsch  (scroll to 2:00)

This technique would of course need 3D projectors or monitors which is quite expensive and I don't even know if ST 3D proj is available? I'm not 100% the technique shown in your video John does use 3D technique but I think they might do.

Will follow this with exitement!!

/Anders
------------
Anders Simparts
http://www.anderssimparts.com
https://www.facebook.com/ArchenSimparts
Selling "Hard-to-get" simparts like authentic Engine starters, Autobrake, IRS mode selectors and N1&SPD Ref Switches.
------------

Sudden81

That was cool! I wonder if it could work on any projector. That wold solve the hole collimated discussion. And no one would need a collimated display even if I personally like that kind of setup.

But I do not think there is any projector whit passive polarization. And certainly no program that could send 2 different FSX/P3D views white in the polarizatio?

But maybe Warpeliser Cold implement that?

jackpilot

Some will probably remember that Sublogic ATP went 3D about 25 years ago. Two overlapping pics with a pair of red/green glasses.

The effect, even with the then crude scenery,was spectacular especially on short finals..!

jack

Jack

blueskydriver

Hi Anders, Jacob and Jack,

Thanks for your replies and I must say that something like this would be a revolution or re-revolution if it can be brought into FSX/P3D/X-Plane. I know that FSX is 3D capable because I used it like that once, but it's the monitor and red/blue type of 3D, so not sure about the change over.

As for the 3D projection, I guess that would depend on what the projector is capable of like Jacob describes. Still, this deserves more study as it would change everything in the area of viewpoints...

We need others to chime in and pass the word around, so folks will start talking about it and lead to someone getting us there.

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

HarryZ

Quote from: jackpilot on February 11, 2014, 03:34:48 AM
Some will probably remember that Sublogic ATP went 3D about 25 years ago. Two overlapping pics with a pair of red/green glasses.

The effect, even with the then crude scenery,was spectacular especially on short finals..!

jack

Jack,

Yes, combined with 3D AGS, the excellent add-on to ATP at the time, the effect was indeed great and ahead of its time.  Too bad Simon Hradecky, the brilliant developer, couldn't get the financial backing to port ATP into Windows.  ATP was way ahead of FS back then but legal obstacles prevented it from progressing.
Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

jackpilot

They also introduced the first "talking" interractive ATC..    ::)

Jack

HarryZ

Quote from: jackpilot on February 13, 2014, 05:07:48 AM
They also introduced the first "talking" interractive ATC..    ::)

Yep, awesome at the time!  Remember the day I installed it....nothing was even close to ATP at the time...how sad the legal wrangling killed it?
Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

blueskydriver

HarryZ

Quote from: blueskydriver on February 13, 2014, 04:45:47 PM
Wiki link for ATP here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_Assignment:_A.T.P.

John

Sierra must have had their head in the sand when purchasing Sublogic and thought they could resurrect ATP.  The legal ruling only allowed ATP to be sold for 5 years (1995) and that was it. Airline Simulator was the successor to ATP and that's a story for another day.  Sierra could never have produced another version of ATP under the legal ruling and I'm sure that Bruce Artwick ( ATP's foe) would have had a lot to say about that.

But perhaps we should let this part of the thread die as it has deviated it's original intent.
Harry
Flight Plus Software LTD
London, ON   Canada
airsim@flightplus.ca
Toll Free 1-866-662-0985

navymustang

Even though this topic is old - I felt a need to clarify some issues with 3D stereo glasses and a comment made about a collimated display and eye points.
The eyepoint issue is a result of the fact that the standard flat or curved wall projection display is designed for a fixed focus from a specific eyepoint within the cockpit.  In lower cost trainers, this can be resolved by having two different start up files (scenarios) that are designed with either a Capt or F/O eyepoint established.  If training is focused on the F/O, start that file which will have the eyepoint set on the right side of the cockpit an appropriate distance.
This issue is eliminated in higher cost sims through the use of a collimated display, which has the focus point set to infinity.  In that style sim, the Capt and F/O perceive the same location from either seat.
3D does not resolve this issue - indeed it simply provides a stereo view from the fixed eyepoint for either the Capt or F/O.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate