Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 05:44:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
583 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 595
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 583
Total: 583

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Networking computers

Started by argileh, May 15, 2014, 08:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

argileh

Need some help as I am lack in IT matters

When running simulation using more than one PC, how do you network the PCs together.  Should they be hard wired via a switch and then link them together thru HomeGroup or WorkGroup feature in Windows 7, or should it be done differently.

Help appreciated

blueskydriver

First, make sure you use a network "switch" and not a "hub". If possible, get a dedicated switch (also know as managed switch) to have better control over the data packets traveling around your network. Yes, even for a small network it helps your setup. Also, get a switch that has more than enough ports to expand later on.

Second, keep your wireless network seperate from your switch. In other words, all hardwired pc's connect to the switch, and your wireless box just handles wireless connections. Why? Because wireless is under 54mb (roughly) and you want your sim pc's at 100mb or better yet at 1gb, so the 54mb will just interfere with faster speeds.

Third, in Windows 7 use workgroup only and not homegroup. Homegroup is for Win7 to Win7 communication, so WinXP will not see it. Oh, before anyone says "XP is on the way out", don't listen too much because more than half the members here are still using XP (IMHO). Why? Because their sims were built around XP and for some with up to 12 computers running...like myself...XP works just fine because these machines are not connected to the internet. Besides, why upgrade to Win7 machines just because Microsoft says so?

When you setup the workgroup, use the same workgroup name on all machines, as well as insure you give each computer a simple and short name without spaces or numbers. Something like MCP, CAPFD, FOPFD or etc. Also, do not use DHCP; instead give each machine an IP Address, and avoid using 192.168.1.whatever. Those first 3 number sets are default on just about every router made. Use your own numbers...like anything under 254.under 254.under254.under254. Note, I am saying use any value under 254 down to 1 in each segment (no words of course). Just make sure the first 3 sets are the same on all PCs and only the last set changes. Like this:

and so on...

Finally, make sure all the computers are working on the network before setting them up for your sim. Otherwise, if your sim is not communicating it could be your network, but unless you know for sure it is working correctly, how can you troubleshoot the sim...if it has issues? Just in case you do have problems, you need to learn what "tightVNC" is.

To put it simple, tightVNC is a small program to use from one computer to see all the other computers on your network. So, that means you do not need a keyboard and mouse for every pc, you only need it for the one you plan to administrate or fix things from. In other words, you set in front of that pc to fix all the others...it's pretty much the same way remote desktop works.

Hope this helps,

John

Ps lookup what "ping" or "pinging a computer" means and does, if you don't know already...you will use it at least once.

| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

argileh

John,

I really appreciate the time you have taken to provide your feedback.

Thanks

jackpilot

Nice post, Thanks John.
Also confirming XP on all PC but CDU ( W2000 !!)
;)
Jack

Jack

CeeGee

John, you must have been reading my mind. That is just what I needed at this stage of our latest build. Thanks for explaining it all in my kinda language! See this thread http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?topic=4263.msg32439;topicseen#new Charlie.
First Jet Airliner flies again

jfuenmayor

Thanks John

Very useful information. Great tip on "tightVNC"

JF

blueskydriver

You're welcome guys. Glad I could help... Charlie check your thread, I found something that might help shut the USB ports off.

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate