Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 06:18:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
733 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 753
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 733
Total: 733

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Ebay and Paypal, security is hacked! Change your passwords now!

Started by blueskydriver, May 26, 2014, 10:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

Hey Guys,

I just had a $302.58 charge taken from my bank account yesterday, via Paypal, that does not show as a transaction to place a named Shakeology in California. It showed up on my checking account shortly after I was trying to order something for my RC airplanes...read me email to Paypal here:

[Hello,

On May 25th, I tried to place an order to Hobby King USA for remote control airplane parts and the transaction got denied, which is shown in the recent activity for that day. The amount was $255, plus $50 (+or-) for shipping, so the total was $302.58.

Even though the transaction got denied, someone through Paypal used the exact same amount to place an order the a company named "Shakeology" located in CA, USA. Now, I called this company and they sound like a hoax, as well as they kept asking for more info that should not be needed.

They say someone with a different name, other than what is my Visa Card, placed the order through Paypal. I explained I knew nothing of this and I was ordering through Paypal for something totally different. Of course they tell me it's my bank's problem, but it's not! This all started through Paypal, so that means my "security" that Paypal says it gives me is not viable.

I'd like Paypal to find out what happen and get/give me my money back! In the mean time, I changed my password and even cancelled my Visa Cards to stop anything from occurring again. In other words, I am doing my part to prevent stop and/or fix this.

Finally, for over ten years I've been using Paypal and not once have I had any issues, problems or disputes. I've been extremely happy with Paypal, so much that I'd tell others to trust Paypal. Now, it is Paypal's turn to prove themselves too me and fix a problem that I didn't cause. Your results determine my future with your company and my "word-of-mouth" to others.

Sincerely, still one of your customers...

John]

So, I changed my Paypal and Ebay passwords since, as well as reported my cards stolen. Sadly, my bank doesn't open until tomorrow morning to pursue this further. In the meantime, I googled Shakeology and discovered they're a scamming company! Thus, I highly recommend everyone change passwords for Paypal, Ebay, update your computers' virus protection programs, run full scans, and update you iPad OS.

I tried placing the order described above using my iPad; however, it was not the latest OS. I think this is what caused the problem or the ability for someone to hack my Paypal account. Besides, you all mostly know I am really proactive with my computers, but I assumed my iPad was better with security being a Mac device and all. Goes to show things are just getting worse for us honest people.

God be damned onto the person who is ever a HACKER! You deserve a dishonorable death!

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

blueskydriver

Just got this from Paypal:

Hello "My Name",

The security questions and answers for "My Name" PayPal account were changed on May 26, 2014.

If you did not authorize this change, please contact us immediately using the phone number found on the following:

[I deleted this number for posting purposes]

Sincerely,

PayPal

[Read this close]

Security Advisory: When you log in to your PayPal account, be sure to open up a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Firefox) and type in the PayPal URL to make sure you are on the real PayPal website.
For more information on protecting yourself from fraud, please review the Security Tips in our Security Center.

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

End.

That email shows that Paypal has issues; especially, with the web page fakes. I bet that is what really happened. Funny thing is, no notice about this from Paypal before hand...

Oh, just to reassure everyone, I am not venting here, I am providing this information to my fellow members because this hack or way of stealing money is a whole new method just showing up on the radar. Everyone heard of the Target Stores data hack; well, this is Paypal's just starting out. IMHO, you'll likely here more about it in the news this week.

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

XOrionFE

it never hurts anyone to change your major account passwords for companies like paypal or ebay once a month or so just to be safe.   Also, use extremely complex passwords and be sure not to use the same passwords for all accounts...keep them all different.  Another thing I do is to only use one or two computers to do my paypal and online transactions from and I dont cache my passwords on it.   I also use a program from O&O called Safe Erase to keep it hyper clean

Good luck with straightening your accounts out.

Scott

Bob Reed

This happened to me lat year. I called PP and they fixed it right then and there!!!! I was impressed. My suggestion is to call them not email them!

blueskydriver

Scott, I agree with you, passwords need to be changed more often then not. I went through all of mine today...

Bob, I did contact PP and they saw the denined charge of the original sale, but could not see anything about the fake PP page coming through the RC Airplane site.

Karen went to our bank today and worked with a Fraud Agent; they called the company "Shakeology". They got the same responses I did on Sunday. This Shakeology company is a huge frauding/scam company. Thus, our bank is returning the money to us, and then they're sending the police to investigate, as well as getting lawyers involved.

Finally, I suggest everyone look at your checking/savings or credit card statement (online versions) everyday. The Fraud Agent says that is how a lot of things cannot be fixed. The scammer will charge your card knowing that most charges are "pre-authorized" until at least one business day, at which point the charge will go authorized. After 10 days without contesting the charge it is much harder to undo the charges at all.

Some folks likely know this and have unfortunately gone through it, but if you haven't before, go to your bank right away. And, if you contact the scammer place that charged you, make sure you record your telephone conversation (you can find most of their contact numbers on your bank statement now). Albeit, you must say at the beginning of the phone call that "I am recording this phone call". If they will or will not speak with at that point, take the recording with you either way to your bank. It is evidence for the bank's lawyers, as well as if they even call the scammer seperately, it all will be used in court should it go that far...

I hope this never happens to anyone else here,

John

geneb

The BEST thing you can do to safeguard your PayPal (and eBay!) accounts is to order the 2-factor authentication fob/card from PayPal.  I think they're like $5.  What it does is require that you enter your password AND a six digit code that's generated each time you press the button on the fob or card.  This basically means that you're using a new password each time you log in.  If an attacker doesn't have that card AND your static password, they're not getting in, period.

You can also bind the 2-factor auth. fob/card to your eBay account.

g.
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate