Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:39:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
146 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 174
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 146
Total: 146

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

"Lufthansa 775, I'm showing you at '0' airspeed. Say airspeed please..."

Started by Boeing Skunk Works, December 10, 2009, 08:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boeing Skunk Works

Found out the other day that although controllers can see me on radar and show the aircraft in motion with Mode C reporting, they don't get an airspeed readout.  :o

That had more than a couple of controllers scratching their heads.  ;D ;D
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

jackpilot

Is it systematic with all airplanes flying Vatsim or IVAO or
has to do with your flight model ?
Ah ah  those stealth 727!!!!

Jack

when acting as a wave

I learned a lot about the online flying stuff yesterday(?) from a couple of different threads around here somewhere. I didn't realise it was so complicated and real-to-life, which is great, if not somewhat intimidating. Our sim doesn't have an internet connection at the moment, but the whole ATC business sounds very exciting and very much like something that's worth a look.

Certainly it would change one's mental focus ... and get you to sharpen up quick smart!

Ruscool Electronics Limited
Manufacturer of backlit panels and other parts
Ruscool Blog

jackpilot

Just get the softwares and listen to it...you cant make the difference with real ATC most of the time, it is indeed very very lifelike.

Jack

when acting as a wave

Quote from: jackpilot on December 10, 2009, 08:40:33 AM
Just get the softwares and listen to it ....

I shall do that. Where do I start? I saw a couple of names mentioned yesterday (IVAO and something else), do I just head over to there?
Ruscool Blog

Boeing Skunk Works

Just head over there (ivao.aero), sign up, and visit the software development page and download the software. You can log-on and sit at a busy airport and watch the traffic come and go and listen to the controllers and pilots.

Make sure you have a copy of FS on the system you download it to. The software looks for the FS root folder for install. There are manuals too for information on how to use it, but it's pretty intuitive.

The don't see any airspeed because the IVAO software is running on a Wideview client.  :o
Why yes...I am a rocket scientist...

Boeing, Collins, Gables, Sperry, PPG, Korry, Pacific Scientific, Honeywell

when acting as a wave

Cheers, Mike. Unfortunately I don't have FS running on any system that's connected to the internet at the moment, only on my laptop, as this allows us to test the 'web-free' installation process of any new FS-related software that we're working on. I might have to remedy this, however.

Regardless, I'm seeing my father tomorrow and he's connected to such an extent that we can possibly listen. I don't know how much of this online aviation business he's aware of, but he did a short stint of real-life ATC years and years and years ago (at a very small airport with a grass runway) so I'm sure he'll love it!
Ruscool Blog

NAX228

Good to see more of you guys coming online! I've been VATSIMming since 05 and feel that part of the simulation has brought a whole new dimension into simming.

In fact you don't need to hook your flightsim PC to the Internet for taking part. In my case I use Squawkbox4 to communicate and send/recive flightdata to VATSIM and this software can just as well be on a i.e. laptop in your LAN so that you don't have to expose your precious FS computers to the www.
In my new setup I'm also careful to keep all cockpitcomputers offline behind a switch with no firewall, antivirus or any other uncockpitrelated software.

The other major VATSIM client program, FSInn/FSCopilot, can also easily be run in networked mode, but the IVAO clientapps I have no idea about since I have never tried it.
-------------------
1 step forward, 2 steps back...

jackpilot

Quote from: NAX228 on December 10, 2009, 06:10:26 PM
In my new setup I'm also careful to keep all cockpitcomputers offline behind a switch with no firewall, antivirus or any other uncockpitrelated software.

Hi
Could you elaborate on that for "network challenged pilots". Very interesting topic.
I started another thread " keeping FS PCs  offline" Please switch to it for your ideas.

Jack

NAX228

Well I set up a network going via a switch, all cabled up. One PC have WLAN connection to the outer world and all updates, scripts etc. is downloaded on this PC. All rights are given on the other PCs, sharing C: with all previliges for the other PCs. When downloading anything,the "online PC" copies this file to a mapped drive on another PC.Kinda "long way home" but it keeps the network safe. None of the PCs in the network have internet connection via the PC with WLAN.
Maybe not the best way to describe the network setup, but I hope you understand.
I have struggeled quite a lot with network earlier, but now with a switch AND not using 192.168.1.xxx adresses in the network has helped me getting a better overview of the network and WIN7 hooked up with XP computers works like a charm.
The WLAN has adress 192.168.1.102 (due to the livingroom laptop using .101) but the LAN connections all use 100.10.10.xx adresses. Makes it tidy.

Got a few beers in my head now, but if anything is unclar (or I havent answerd the Q at all) keep up posting.

A tip is anyway to use 20 bucks on a switch... or go to the recycling point and find one like me. 20 bucks here and 20 bucks there soon makes out 40 bucks :D
pick up a few P4 computers and youre soon up quite some bucks you better use on other simstuff.
-------------------
1 step forward, 2 steps back...

when acting as a wave

Great explanation. So this should get me started here (away from the sim), and I'll discuss your other network tips with my father. I'll keep an eye on the other thread as well. Thanks  :)
Ruscool Blog

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate