Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:55:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
455 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 454
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 455
Total: 455

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

MickC's snail-pace build

Started by mickc, October 06, 2014, 03:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nat Crea

Karl737

Wow, can't wait to see this!
Nice clean on you've picked up there too.

tennyson

Geez, Mick, that is fantastic work.

So nice to see people going to such depths to achieve those results.

I take my hat off to you sir.....bloody Aussie ingenuity at it's finest!

Frank Cooper

quid246

Wow.. that IRS looks like NOS... maybe it is. :)

Subscribed to the thread!

geremybritton

Excellent work, I really enjoyed reading. Please continue to post updates on your latest panel!

mickc

Thanks for the feedback gents,  I have done a lot more bits and pieces, and have added them all on a Facebook page to keep them all in one place, and to speed up the posting process.   My last album was over 70 photos for one instrument, which would take ages to post on here, not to mention the space it would take up!

The page is https://www.facebook.com/Micks737
Feel free to drop by!

bernard S

wow.... and such a complex instrument too exceptionally impressive build

mickc

First update here in over a year, but now I have finally collected, rebuilt/restored and converted every analog & standby gauge fitted to the 737.
These are all OEM gauges, and all function as per the real aircraft, right down the the localizer and glideslope bars & flags on the AI.

A couple of these have been retrofitted to NG style from earlier models, and also not shown in this pic are the rudder trim and standby compass shown earlier in this thread. 

The RMI i converted earlier in this thread has been replaced with a real NG one, so if someone wants it to play with, let me know!

quid246

Fantastic... nice work Mick!

Now to put those babies in their proper place.

Karl737

They look absolutely fantastic... A true credit to you.

Well done, mate!

Karl

mickc

Havent updated this thread for ages, I mostly update via Facebook.

Anyway, here is another chapter in the RMI evolution :)

So as above, I had an OEM NG RMI, however some of the internals were faulty so it couldn't be directly interfaced.   So I converted it over to operate with stepper motors etc and it was being driven by 2 Arduinos via Link2FS. 

Then a while ago i saw another NG RMI on sale, by someone who clearly didn't know what it was worth, and snapped it up quickly.

Unfortunately one of the perils of living on the other side of the planet is that freight can be risky with delicate components, as you can see below, it arrived a little worse for wear :(

Luckily the front end on my existing one was fine, so i ended up "frankensteining" the two together.

I used the working back end and drives of the later one, and replaced the needles, heading card, bezel, switches and knobs of my existing one.

End result is a complete, fully operational OEM component that is now interface directly via ARINC429 with FSUIPC and Prosim (Prosim provides the IRS status for the heading information as per the real plane)

As it was damaged in transit, i made a claim with Ebay and was refunded the whole purchase price, plus shipping costs :) :)   

I did end up having to buy a CMM for the unit for a bit over $700, but that's way cheaper than the $900 i was quoted for a new bezel glass.

You can see it in action here in quick video i did with it and the IRS display
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRqNhVBKAm4

archen

That's so cool! I wish I had the knowledge to interface OEM instruments.

Great work!

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

------------
Anders Simparts
http://www.anderssimparts.com
https://www.facebook.com/ArchenSimparts
Selling "Hard-to-get" simparts like authentic Engine starters, Autobrake, IRS mode selectors and N1&SPD Ref Switches.
------------

kurt-olsson

I will ask for a complete partslist when my IRS i terfacing begins. This unit will not be tampered with just interfaced by the IO pins.

Great work as always Mick!

We only need to convert you from the darkside to X-plane later hehe.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate