Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 08:21:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
544 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 584
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 544
Total: 544

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

B737 Throttle Quad

Started by mdavenport, November 03, 2014, 08:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdavenport

Hi,

I am looking at scaling up my sim over time and starting by upgrading my throttle quad from a Saitek Throttle Quad to a real life scale one, like the one in the link below:-

http://www.jetmax.ca/components/jetmax-737tq

Before I commit to purchase this one I thought I better ask some questions as its not cheap:-

1. Is this the best one for a home desk setup?
2. Is the price point about right compare to others
3. Are there any others you would recommend I take a look at?

Incase you are interested this is my current setup:-

PC: Dell XPS 420, Q6600 Quad Core 3.0Ghz (overclocked), 8GB RAM 4x2GB PC2-6400 @ 400MHhz, 350w PSU, Gigabyte NVidia GTX 750Ti 2GB, 128GB SSD (Win7 x64, FSX), 1TB SATA (VFR Scenery)
Monitor: 3 x 23" IPS NVidia Surround 5880x1024x32, 1 x 19" 16:9
Addons: Saitek Yoke Throttles & Pedals, TrackIR4, iVibe TFS3, PMDG NGX 737-800

Please note, I know the PC is old and slow but I am also planning my upgrade of that.

Hope you can help and I look forward to your responses.

Thanks
Mark

mdavenport

I've come across this one also, any ideas on how this compares to the Jetmax:-

http://www.flightsimpm.com/products#!/737-Throttle-Quadrant-PRO-v2-0/p/33600129/category=11158156

sagrada737

Hi Mark,

I have a JetMax TQ for my full scale 737 Sim Project.   If you are looking for a TQ solution that won't break the bank, yet gives a realistic form-factor to that of a real 737 TQ, then the FDS JetMax may be the way for you to go.   Yes....   it is made from molded plastic for much of its structure, including the throttle levers, but it is very well engineered and does the job required.  I think that the price / performance you get with the JetMax TQ is probably the next best thing to a real non-automated 737TQ for a 737 Sim project.

Interfacing the JetMax TQ is straight forward, and is done via the JoyStick calibrations found in FSUIPC.  The JetMax TQ can also support a Steering Tiller, which adds a great deal of realism to the Sim experience.  Basically, the JetMax TQ is a Plug & Play device.

I have had my JetMax TQ for over a year now.  It is functioning so well, I have a hard time justifying spending thousands for a real TQ, not to mention the complexity of automating it - although eventually that may be what I will do in order to have the "real thing".  In the meantime, I am very pleased with my purchase.  Thumbs UP on this one!

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

mdavenport

Quote from: sagrada737 on November 03, 2014, 01:02:52 PM
Hi Mark,

I have a JetMax TQ for my full scale 737 Sim Project.   If you are looking for a TQ solution that won't break the bank, yet gives a realistic form-factor to that of a real 737 TQ, then the FDS JetMax may be the way for you to go.   Yes....   it is made from molded plastic for much of its structure, including the throttle levers, but it is very well engineered and does the job required.  I think that the price / performance you get with the JetMax TQ is probably the next best thing to a real non-automated 737TQ for a 737 Sim project.

Interfacing the JetMax TQ is straight forward, and is done via the JoyStick calibrations found in FSUIPC.  The JetMax TQ can also support a Steering Tiller, which adds a great deal of realism to the Sim experience.  Basically, the JetMax TQ is a Plug & Play device.

I have had my JetMax TQ for over a year now.  It is functioning so well, I have a hard time justifying spending thousands for a real TQ, not to mention the complexity of automating it - although eventually that may be what I will do in order to have the "real thing".  In the meantime, I am very pleased with my purchase.  Thumbs UP on this one!

Mike

Thanks for your response.

Is the Jetmax TQ fully functional, i.e. does the Togo, and AP disconnects work.  Also does it have a functional trim wheel?

I don't have a lot to spend on the hobby but I may have the option of a cheap new Jetmax or a 2nd hand early gen motorised FSC TQ..  Which would you recommend if they were of similar price tag?

Thanks

sagrada737

Hey Mark,

One thing to deeply consider in this Sim hobby, is that it is not easy or inexpensive to get a sull-scale Sim up and operational.  It is however, fairly easy to get the general Sim experience using a good flight model software, eg. Sim-Avionics, ProSim, or PMDG to achieve some immersion in flying the 737 (or other).  Of course, what is missing is the "hands on" kind of experience with real 737 hardware or something that is made up to look and function like it.

In the case of the 737 TQ, a lot of folks do end up buying a real 737 TQ, then refurbish it, and even automate it in some cases - none of which is cheap or easy to do.  Those kind of modifications to real 737 hardware/equipment takes time and is a labor of love.

So....   When it comes to products like the JetMax TQ, it needs to be considered how such a product might be suited for the application.  In this case, the JetMax TQ is truly a low-cost "look alike" 737 TQ that does all the basic and important functions needed to fly the 737 flight model.  What the JetMax TQ does not do is allow automation of the TQ functions, eg. Trim wheels, Throttle Levers, Speed Brakes, etc.   These need to be moved manually.   But this by no means compromises the utility of the JetMax TQ in a basic 737 Sim application.

As far as a used TQ project that someone is selling....  I would think twice about such a purchase.  Unless you are highly skilled in working on and modifying someone elses gear, you may be spending a lot of money and not easily accomplishing what you may want, which I assume is a nice looking, basic, and functional 737TQ that gets the job done so you can have fun flying your Sim.  If however, you love to tinker with electrical hardware that involves electrical/mechanical interface/control - then a TQ project may be the ticket.   But...   From what you stated, money is an issue, so I would suggest that you buy a proven system in the JetMax TQ product and move on to other areas of your Sim that need to be completed.  Also, try to keep a realistic balance with your Sim project.  It is easy for this stuff to rule your life and drain your bank account :-)

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

mallorca737

the best b737 cheaper and motorized, 100%real with backlight is this:

http://cockpitforyou.com

Trevor Hale

I have never heard of that one before, be careful buying from new companies...

Jetmax, or Revolution sim products make good throttles, there is also another company call FSC (Flight simulation center) These are of course motorized though.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

ammarmalhas

I know this is an old topic but if someone is searching for a motorized TQ, I will be posting my findings on the TQ I bought from Cockpits-for-you in a few days after I sort out some things with the seller.  :-\

Sam Llorca

This got to be interesting !

hirail22

The words " after I sort some things out with the seller " made my master caution light come on ????

Steve

jfuenmayor

Merry Christmas to everyone:

I have read some very good comments on this topic. Just to give an idea. I have gone from a CP Flight TQ to the one produced by Jorg Weinmann in Stuttgart, which uses  Phidgets cards with FS2Phidgets software, to the Pro model from Revolution Simproducts, which I now use and I consider one of the best, but not without a few headaches.
The throttle made by Jorg, I think his company is called Simparts, sits idle in my junkyard. The Speedbrake servo detached ( is glued to the side wall, poor design in my opinion ), the right throttle lever sliding  pot needs to be replaced due to instability and the left trim wheel needs to be mounted since the one that came with the unit was bent ( odd ). Full metal construction but a bit feeble in my humble opinion. I say this just to punctuate the vagaries of the hobby. Reality needs to sink in before embarking on a project such as a full cockpit. But I think everyone of us loves it.
I will be waiting for that report as well.

Cheers.
Joaquin.

navymustang

Two points I might make regarding the video link on the CockpitForYou site. The throttles seemed to move precisely together - quite a feat to make that happen which makes me wonder if the throttles have individual motors.  Another point, I did not see the pilot pull the throttles while the autopilot was engaged, indicating there may not be a slip clutch on the motors.

Jim
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

idj4

Hi.

This kind of purchase has the usual 'decision time' element. Are you limited to a budget? Do you want new or second hand? These are things to ask yourself. If you buy new, which will usually be outside the UK, you have to consider extra costs, such as VAT, shipping, and even courier charges. I had a charge from Fed Ex for something I bought from the USA. If you want the full works & cost is not an issue then go motorised. The Trim & auto throttle moving on their own is the icing on the cake for me. I have a motorised TQ  from Cockpitsonic. I was lucky enough to get it second hand and the seller was only 25 miles away, so I collected to avoid shipping costs. A very rare chance buy I think. He was only asking a very generous price of £1100. You may want to consider that kind a opportunity, but if you want new and money is tight then the Jetmax is a probably a good choice. You may even want to consider this one, although I cannot speak for the supplier due to never dealing with them. Please do the usual 'Google' review search.

http://www.flightsimpm.com/products#!/737-Throttle-Quadrant-PRO-v2-1/p/33600129/category=11158156
Keep Well..  Ian

navymustang

IDJ4 - the link below has an interesting pop up in red text that says all orders are backed up and delayed.  I hope it's because he has limited staff and lots of orders, and nothing more.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

quid246

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and some elbow grease.... get an OEM TQ and convert it.  It will take time, but quite a few of the chaps here have paved the way for you.

You will never get the same fit, finish and feel as a real TQ.

Ridgenj

or if you have enough funds, Art M. from Northernflightsim will provide an OEM TQ ready for an I/O card.
Cheers
Luis

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

idj4

Quote from: navymustang on December 29, 2015, 11:30:38 AM
IDJ4 - the link below has an interesting pop up in red text that says all orders are backed up and delayed.  I hope it's because he has limited staff and lots of orders, and nothing more.

Before I bought my TQ I had looked\considered this option a few times. The 'PLEASE NOTE' halfway down the page had always stated a 3 month lead time due to high orders. I guess the added red text is to inform people the lead time has increased to 4-5 months. I've got mine now so ended up never dealing with this site.  For other peoples sake I hope too it's limited staff and lots of orders.

Ian
Keep Well..  Ian

quid246

Quote from: Ridgenj on December 29, 2015, 12:21:32 PM
or if you have enough funds, Art M. from Northernflightsim will provide an OEM TQ ready for an I/O card.
Cheers
Luis

At the price NFS charges, he should be giving you the IO card!  Overpriced IMHO.

navymustang

Quid - yes the NFS TQ is expensive, but Art converted the hardware portion of mine and I couldn't be more satisfied.  To save cost, I did the electronics side.  Would be glad to share with anyone my approach.

Ridgenj

James is absolutely right, you can get everything done but Art is a Pro and you will pay for his well deserved hourly fees. I got my circular screen last month and it is second to none. I am a very satisfied customer.

At the end it depends what you are willing to pay but don't expect to pay for a Swatch and get a Rolex.
:2cw:

Cheers
Luis

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate