Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 04:28:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
358 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 373
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 358
Total: 358

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

6dof Motion Platform - Taxi / Braking Test

Started by sagrada737, September 27, 2015, 07:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

Hi Guys,

I took a shot at creating a video with "video overlay" showing sync'd operation of the 6dof Motion Platform during taxiing, with various Braking operations.   I think it interesting to see how the motion platform tries to create a sense of aircraft braking.

By the way...   I am using BFF 6dof motion software, which senses FSX and provides motion cues to the AMC1280usb Controller hardware.  Here is the video:

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRvy4_yarnw
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

FredK

Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

Trevor Hale

Wow Mike,  I still don't know how you have managed not to set a chair on top of that thing to try it out yet!  LOL I totally would have had a lawn chair sitting on that thing already LOL.  Do you have enough ceiling clearance for the cockpit to sit on top? What are your weight restrictions with the setup?

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

sagrada737

Hey Trevor...

Yep!  It is a bit daunting to consider strapping into a seat on top of this motion platform.   In actuality, the entire 737 Sim will sit on top of this 6dof motion platform.   The motion platform structure in its final form factor, is designed to support and move approx. 4,000 lbs.   However, the total weight of the 737 Sim with two pilots aboard is estimated to be approx. 2,000 lbs.  The calculated CG limits will accommodate single or dual pilots weighing approx. 250 lbs. each.  You are insightful to consider ceiling clearance.   Fortunately, my Sim Room has a 12' ceiling height, and the 6dof motion platform was designed with this ceiling height limitation in mind - allowing for full Heave at a 12 degree max. tilt.

As far as sitting in the current structure...   I indeed have sat on the Upper Platform to "get a sense" of what the motion feels like while looking at the FSX display.   It is surprising that the strong vertical Heave movements are not sensed as much as the Sway and other lateral motion cues.  However, this was just a quick check and not really a valid test - especially since the platform structure in its current form is only designed as an "unloaded test configuration" for initial checks of the software and electronics. 

Now that I have confirmed that there are no mechanical interference issues, I can take the next step and strengthen the Platform Base and Upper Platform structures (still out of wood) and build up a mock flight deck that will support a single 737 seat at the correct location and height.   At this point, the motion platform is positioned in-line with my Sim display, so this will allow me to actually sit in the Pilot's seat and more fully experience the motion cues while viewing the FSX display in-flight.  It will be at that point where I will be better able to make further refinements in the motion cue parameters.   It all that goes well, I will then finalize and freeze the 6dof motion platform design, and build the proper structure and flight deck out of steel.  When that is complete, up goes the Sim in its final resting place and orientation in the Sim Room.

All the current motion cue adjustments to the BFF 6dof motion software are only general at this point.  The real challenge will be the final tweaking of all the motion cues while experiencing sitting/flying in the finished cockpit with its 220 degree wrap-around display.   I predict that this will not be much fun, as asynchronous motion cues are likely to yield some "sim sickness".   But, this is the process I will have to go through in the fully completed and operational Sim/6dof Motion Platform - hopefully by the end of this year.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Trevor Hale

Motion sickness is definitely a concern. But I am sure you will have that limited before you get that far.

Great story and great news. Can't wait to see video of it when it is done.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

FredK

Mike -

If it does not work out......I think it would make a great surfing simulator.....Just strap on a surf board and away you go!

....Or perhaps a skiing sim!

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

sagrada737

Hey Fred...

$20 grand later....   This 6dof motino platform better work!  I gave up surfing a long time ago, so if in the end it doesn't pan out, then I'll just have to climb get into the Sim - that's all  ;D

Thanks for the heads up on Sim-A.   Sim-Avionics is becoming very, very stable.    Our Sims are flying like a dream!

Mike

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate