Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 02:54:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
542 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 583
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 542
Total: 542

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Cockpit Offset in relation to Curved projection screen....

Started by sagrada737, October 04, 2015, 05:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

Hello Folks,

I am in the middle of trying to find the "best compromise" for the Cockpit placement in relation to my 220 degree curved display (12' diameter) with FSX.

I would like to get a current take from those that have had projection display setups (past and present) with curved screens.   What have you settled on with respect to any bias of the cockpit to the screen to minimize or eliminate the visual
"crab effect" as experienced by the pilot?

It seems to me that there are only a few choices to consider... 

1. Keep the cockpit directly centered on the screen without any angular shift (both CA and FO get similar crab effect).
2. Keep the cockpit facing and parallel to the screen center line, but have a lateral shift or offset to bring the Pilot's eyepoint more toward the runway centerline.
3.  Orient the cockpit both laterally and angled to bring the pilot's eyepoint more in-line toward the runway center line.

Possibly there are more considerations.   I would appreciate any comments on this to save some time on testing display setups.   I know there are older threads on this, but what I am looking for is what folks are currently doing, or what they would have done differently.

Whatever I finalize on, it will ride with my 737-800 Sim on top of the 6dof motion platform, so I need to be sure I take the best approach to this from the start.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

KyleH

I think most use option 1 and adjust the eyepoint location to the captains side in software.
If done that way, then you theoretically could have 2 configurations setup one for the captain flying and one for the FO flying.
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate