Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 05:44:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
352 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 373
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 352
Total: 352

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

6dof Motion Platform - Test 3 - Motion Cue Refinements...

Started by sagrada737, October 03, 2015, 03:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

Hello Folks,

I completed the construction and initial test setup of my 220 degree wrap-around FSX display for my Sim project.   The goal with this testing was to identify issues relating to proper projector placement and the best screen material for the projection display.   For the screen material, I initially chose a thin linoleum material and painted it with a "blend" of paint to achieve a quality projection display.  The paint was successful, but the linoleum material was too flexible and sagged too much, causing multiple distortions across the 5' high x 23' long 12' diameter curved screen.  The PixelWix warping software does a good job of correcting screen anomalies, but the screen does need to have a consistently smooth surface. 

My next approach to making such a large screen will be to use a flexible, but stiff Formica material.   It is available in 5' x 12' sheets, and I intend to laminate the two sheets together to achieve the 5' x 23' screen requirement.  This material can be painted as before, and is expected to retain a smooth surface.   I should have the new material in a couple of weeks.   Although the current screen is not perfect, it does allow me to verify other considerations with a projection display setup, and also to continue testing with my 6dof motion platform project.  I'll make a separate post of what I am doing with the 220 degree wrap-around projection project after I get the new screen built and installed.

Regarding the 6dof motion platform project...  Ian at BFF motion software was kind enough to suggest some motion cue improvements for my next phase of testing.  This is another video Test 3, showing how these motion cue refinements functioned with the motion platform during ground and in-flight operations.   I am now feeling more secure about the mechanical design to the point where I can begin finalizing much of the motion platform configuration.   My next and final phase of this initial testing (Test 4) will be to strengthen the Motion Platform Base, and make up a mock flight deck and mount the 737 seat where it would be located, and actually sit in the seat to get a sense of the motion cues.  In the meantime...   I would like to share with you a video of Test 3 below...

One thing I have done since this video was made this morning, was to increase the motion cue "sensitivity" in the Roll axis, and Pitch axis.  I should report that the BFF 6dof motion software, and the AMC1280usb Controller system are working well and seem to be quite reliable.   Thanks again to Ian at BFF and Thanos at Motin Sim for making these products available.

Regards,
Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMlXqVtXb7g&feature=youtu.be
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

blueskydriver

Hi Mike,

May Isuggest you go with the screen material from Carl's Place and get it custom size too your needs. The screen is already setup for projection and the fact that it has a black border with gromments, that you use bungiees to hold it in place, as well as too keep it tight. Plus, it is paintable, if you prefer to use a paint that matches the projector's specifications.

I purchased two screens, the first is my simulator screen that is custom 9x37 feet and the second is a 9x16 standard size from Carl's Place; it is too be used for Green Screen video work and painted green using paint from Rosco. So, in your case you would be much better too use something like this because of it's abililty to stay tight, and it's paintable surface. All you would need is a framing setup that is solid and lightweight (the screen is already lightweight).

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

sagrada737

Hi John,

I though of using that material, but with the movements of the 6dof motion platform, there are other issues with a flexible screen - even if it is pulled taught with bungee cords.   From my testing, a stiff screen will be best for use with the motion platform.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

RayS

Mike,

I too was going to go with linoleum but.. countertop formica is a better screen material. It's rigid, and retains it's shape way better than the more flexible linoleum.

Once you curve it along one axis, the opposing axis is nearly impossible to warp.

Ray Sotkiewicz

MCrevot

my website : http://www.mya320sim.com
7700k, 4790k, 2600k, P3Dv4 and A320 FMGS, 3 views on 3 vdp with wideview, 180 deg screen

Sam Llorca

http://anthonyscottphotography.com/img/s10/v114/p533881189-6.jpg

Maybe this picture can give you an idea, is just bend aluminum and a plastic material glued to it, supported by a channel piece on top and bottom.
very solid design!

Cheers!

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate