Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 02:21:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
27 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 41
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 27
Total: 27

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Where to start....I appreciate the help!

Started by Ebco, November 13, 2015, 03:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebco

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to see what the best and most practical (if that exists) way to get a Flight Sim going for my twin 9 year old boys that are aviation nuts.  I am a professional pilot so they got the bug.  Right now we are doing Microsoft  Flight Sim on a PC and our home TV.  I want to step it up a notch to something similar to what is found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mEpbgSBz4c without the Cessna panel.  I would just use Saitek or something equivalent.  Then I came across SIMPIT ICARUS AVENGER 180 DISPLAY SYSTEM that looked good but they are in New Zealand.

This is the level I am looking to be at with a 180 display that doesn't take up too much room. I like the idea of being able to switch between aircraft so the twins have different cockpit displays to interact with.  I am not the most tech savvy so I am looking for relatively straightforward platforms. I understand I will need to buy at least 2 projectors, better computer, a display, blending software etc. How do I get there?  Let's make this a Christmas to remember :).  All recommendations are greatly appreciated, thank you for your time, and my apologies if I am posting in the wrong spot.

737man

SIMPIT ICARUS AVENGER 180 DISPLAY SYSTEM  is an amazing product.....

blueskydriver

Hi Nate,

Welcome to Cockpit Builders and you're in the right place... My biggest advice, that I try to tell every new member, is go visit another member who has a simulator project. There are many guys on here who are very willing too show their sim to new folks.

Just ask around, and being that you're in CA, it will be much easier to find someone. Once you see a home simulator working it'll get you and the boys all fired up, as well as help make decisions for which way too go. Maybe, you've seen big Level D Sims that airlines use; well, a home project can be as good as that or somewhat less. It's all matter of what you want to go for.

Additionally, just because you want too go smaller does not mean you shouldn't visit a bigger simulator. The thing is you'll get the basic knowledge of computers, projectors, blending software, screens and etc first hand.

If I were you, I would ask Sam Liorca for a visit. He is one of the nicest guys in the world. He is the main person who hosts the one and only World Flight Team USA, and he is a member here. He resides in Sarasota, Florida, so you would have too fly over to see him.

Likely, he'll read this post and reply. Uh, well maybe not so quick, as he and the other World Flight pilots just finished the week long World Flight 2015 event last Saturday, so he's probably a little worn out...lol...from all the fun they had!

Best Regards,

John

| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Sam Llorca

Hi Nate,

Welcome to Cockpitbuilders, I have to agree with John (Blueskydriver) there is nothing better than to see other sim projects, you are welcome to come by and checkout my sim if you ever in Florida, I'm in Sarasota about 2 hours west of Orlando.

But Cockpitbuilders have a ton of tips and advise that will steer you on the right direction , good luck on your project and welcome to the club.

Cheers!

Ebco

Thank you for the replies as I greatly appreciate it.  What are your suggestions for finding people in the Southern CA area?

blueskydriver

Nate,

Put a post in the "Introduce Yourself" section and tell people what you would like too do and ask who is nearby that you could visit...

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate