Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 02:29:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
709 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 743
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 709
Total: 709

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Spring Noise (LOUD) Possible solution?

Started by AngeloC, March 11, 2016, 08:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngeloC

Hey guys I have a PFC Jetliner column Yoke and just the roll springs, not the pitch springs creak and make noise when turning the yoke Left / Right. Nothing wrong mechanically or anything, the yoke is smooth as silk but I would like to figure out what sort of product (lubricant or grease) I can put on the springs to quiet them down.

Any suggestions? What has worked and is tried and true here?

jackpilot

Foam or ear plugs inside the spring help
If the noise comes from where the spring is attached, sometimes white grease is good. Usually the foam inside the spring is your best bet.

Jack

AngeloC

The springs are not that large I doubt I would be able to insert foam plus and or foam in between the spring coils. Darn I was hoping I could just slather the entire spring area in a thick grease that would help a bit.

RayS

You should be able to apply a light dab of white silicon grease where the spring meets the anchor. That's what's causing the noise. You can further dampen the spring by injecting spray foam insulation into the spring itself. (It should come with a tiny straw for pinpoint injection.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-STUFF-16-oz-Gaps-and-Cracks-Insulating-Foam-Sealant-162848/100003351
Ray Sotkiewicz

jackpilot

Ray
I would strongly advise against that spray foam which hardens and expands when dry and will block the spring elasticity.
You can squeeze in  the ear  plug or a little chunk of foam through the top or bottom of the spring.

I did it for my tiller and it works.

Jack

RayS

Good point.. I forgot about that whole "Hardening" thing.. :-)
Ray Sotkiewicz

MCrevot

As Jack, i use rubber stick, just cut it to the length of the spring :

Michel
my website : http://www.mya320sim.com
7700k, 4790k, 2600k, P3Dv4 and A320 FMGS, 3 views on 3 vdp with wideview, 180 deg screen

AngeloC

White grease did the trick thanks guys. She is quiet as can be now, can't believe I waited so  long to do this.

geremy britton

... alternatively you could place the earplugs in your ears...  ;D

kroswynd

Like this topic....some useful hints...although I would like to ask if anyone has ever changed same spring in discussion.  It does not appear to be a very easy and straight forward task.

737man

White Grease......Do you have a name?  and brand?

kroswynd

My apologies...tired from late hours in the office:

Prev. Post:
Like this topic....some useful hints...although I would like to ask if anyone has ever changed same spring in discussion.  It does not appear to be a very easy and straight forward task.

I have a PFC column yoke (11 yrs old) and I am interested in changing the spring for the ailerons.  I have sent this yoke back to PFC on several occasions (3 times) due to improper work done from a faulty yoke (but that is in the past).  The yoke needless to say has served me very well despite previous issues.

Rather than paying for my yoke a fourth time to have PFC do some maintenance to it, I figured I would change the spring myself, however the mechanism seems a bit challenging in having the spring replaced.  Is there a special tool that needs to be used to replace the spring?

Simeon

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate