Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 04:38:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
589 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 587
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 589
Total: 589

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Your Teensy setup

Started by kurt-olsson, March 31, 2016, 11:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurt-olsson

I am using teensy as controllers.
I am having a real hard time to find a way to get permanent good setup with cable connection.

I bought a crimp tool and using dupont, but i am not getting solid connectors.

I also need multipla connections for ground and voltage in. Some kind of breadboard or ground rail.

How are you people doing when working with teensy?

Look at this try (mess)

RayS

Yikes!

As you're finding out, that wire thickness will never work.

For these small controllers and mostly everything in my cockpit uses wire-wrap wire.

Here's a demo video I made. While it doesn't showcase the wire-wrapping job, you can see how dozens of wires going to the Teensy is no big deal.
https://youtu.be/vj-QJa56a6g

As you can see, I breadboard my circuit first, then literally replicate that design onto a solderable breadboard using wire-wrap wire.
Ray Sotkiewicz

757Simulator

What the heck is a teensy?  :huh:

kurt-olsson

Quote from: 757Simulator on March 31, 2016, 08:57:58 PM
What the heck is a teensy?  :huh:

Besides Sliced bread, the best thing ever made! =) (Thanks Rob for introducing me to Teensy)

Its a small affordable powerful controller that has digital,analog and PWM outputs and 5V through USB.

With the Flight Controls LIB and ArduTeensy you are up and running interfacing the x-plane datarefs through hardware in no time! =)

kurt-olsson

Bingo!

This is exactly what i want. more input for ground and power and also able to solder the Arduino pins beside the board itself! =)

https://www.adafruit.com/product/571
https://www.adafruit.com/product/571

kurt-olsson

Quote from: RayS on March 31, 2016, 02:06:27 PM
Yikes!

As you're finding out, that wire thickness will never work.

For these small controllers and mostly everything in my cockpit uses wire-wrap wire.

Here's a demo video I made. While it doesn't showcase the wire-wrapping job, you can see how dozens of wires going to the Teensy is no big deal.
https://youtu.be/vj-QJa56a6g

As you can see, I breadboard my circuit first, then literally replicate that design onto a solderable breadboard using wire-wrap wire.

Man, that looks awesome! Thats exactly what i want. Soldered solution for permanent use, but still very elegant and organized! Great job!

I made an exception (bad one) and used thicker cables, but normally i use the thin ones you are using.
But that is the components called that you are attaching the cables to and then soldering it to the breadboard?

AHA you use the wire-wrap tool on the pins directly! then you can solder them to get them permanent i guess!

727737Nut

I have what you need!!  My first batch order of pcb's are on the way to me now.  I designed a Teensy breakout board that accepts uln 2803 chips as well as screw terminal connections!  If you only need 8 hv/hc outputs, you just install a jumper across the pins where a 2803 would be and you have a normal I/O.   I'll post pics,  probably be around 8.00 ea maybe less.

Rob
737 Junkie

kurt-olsson

Quote from: 727737Nut on April 01, 2016, 04:59:02 AM
I have what you need!!  My first batch order of pcb's are on the way to me now.  I designed a Teensy breakout board that accepts uln 2803 chips as well as screw terminal connections!  If you only need 8 hv/hc outputs, you just install a jumper across the pins where a 2803 would be and you have a normal I/O.   I'll post pics,  probably be around 8.00 ea maybe less.

Rob
[/

Very interesting! After trying the dupont way and giving that up i want to head out for screw terminals! Would be great to see some pictures. :)

RayS

QuoteAHA you use the wire-wrap tool on the pins directly! then you can solder them to get them permanent i guess!

You don't even need to solder them. Wire-wrap wire is designed to 'bite' into the post corners, providing a near air-tight and solid connection between the wire and post.
Ray Sotkiewicz

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate