Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 09:31:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
359 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 381
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 359
Total: 359

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

737 distance to monitors

Started by mdavenport, May 12, 2016, 06:11:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdavenport

I'm trying to position my 3 out of the window screens at the correct distance from where I sit that mirrors a pilot sitting in a real 737.

Can you help tell me how far from my eye level should be the monitors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jackpilot

As far as possible of your eye depending on the monitor size.
Horizon at your eye level
People always tend to place them too high
You must look straight or down, not up.

Jack

mdavenport

Ok so eye level with Horizon.

But for one of the tools to help me get the correct zoom and rotation of my screens I need put the distance to my monitor from my eye level. Before I did this I wanted to position the monitors at the same distance from me as the glass windows would be in the real plane - or is what I am asking irrelevant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fordgt40

mdavenport

Quote from: fordgt40 on May 12, 2016, 07:45:58 AM
There is guidance on this link

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=optimum+eye+distance+from+tv

Thanks but I am looking for the distance to set the screens away from me based on how far away the windows are from a pilot, not looking for the recommended distance for a TV.

fordgt40

But if you get the right distance for a 737, it is no good if you cannot see the screen properly  :( First and foremost you need to to have visuals that you can fly with!

jackpilot

Positioning the monitors where the windshield is, and worse, tilting them is a no no. (if this is what you are looking for).

Assuming you have a visual reference for the airplane like the glareshied (or better a physical front window frame) the monitors
have to be as far as possible (according to their size) and fill more than the above mentionned frame of vision. That way when you move your head you see more (or less) of the front view as in real life.

Simply put, if you place a giant TV inside one window frame at home, the image of the outside will not be credible if you move around.
It's going to be a flat rendition of the outside view.
Same here.
That's why you better use large TVs (50-70") or one projector to fill up the front view beyond the windshield frame.
Without going to a 180° curved screen 3 views set up, you will get an amazing immersion with one large (10' +) single image of the front view zoomed at .6 or .7 with a Short throw projector (or giant TV )versus three tiny 25"monitors in front of you.

My 2¢ and my one projector set-up:

Jack

fordgt40

mdavenport

Many thanks Jack... makes perfect sense...

Need to go back to the drawing board I think!

I guess being as I am going towards a Single Seat Training Device like a Jetmax or Opencockpits one I am looking for the best distance to place my monitors...  As I am not going for a full immersive cockpit I doubt I will ever fully get this right...

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate