Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 01:33:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
353 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 373
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 353
Total: 353

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

CTS 288 Encoder going crazy version 2.0

Started by kurt-olsson, May 09, 2016, 12:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurt-olsson

Ok, i bought new CTS 288 Encoders since i bent my old ones and they became unreliable.

Now i have solid connectors and a very good setup.

BUT, now my encoders only read -1,0,1,0???

I have tested with different input pins on my teensy 2.0++ and i have tested with several encoders. This has never happend to me before.
Anyone experienced this?

RayS

Looks like a wiring issue to the encoder.

Chances are Input A & B aren't wired correctly to the encoder A &| B channels.

..or it could be code. Double-check your code to make sure you do in fact have the related pins set up for encoder inputs.
Ray Sotkiewicz

kurt-olsson

Tried another Teensy 2.0++, same thing.
different teensy
different encoders

same problem,

well well.... wiring issues. again =)

kurt-olsson

The only thing i did this time was have more solid connectors on the encoder and then i twisted the wires like said before in previous posts...  :-[

kurt-olsson

new wires, same thing. This starts to feel like a bad joke.

Must be code. But nothing has changed, i runned the same code before and it worked!

RayS

If your code hasn't changed, it's 99.9% wiring.

Somewhere, somehow, you either have a short or open, or the encoder center pin isn't grounded. (Are you using pullup resistors?)

There's a very slight possibility that you might have the wrong encoder type defined in your code.
Ray Sotkiewicz

kurt-olsson

Yeah, i use pullup resistors on the pins. I removed all terminals and connected to the pins directly.
I wonder if theres been some update to the encoder library that messes it up?only thing left is to test with my 3.1 and see if there are any results...

kurt-olsson

And the answer is.... *drumroll*

STUPIDITY!!!!!!!

I hooked up 27,0   but read the 0,1 pins! Great work Kurt! Really awesome!

:o :o :o :-[

RayS

Glad you got it sorted out!

And.. don't be too hard on yourself.. It happens to all of us at some point in this hobby. (Well, not *me* but, you know, the rest of us. )

;D ;D ;D ;D
Ray Sotkiewicz

KyleH

Quote from: RayS on May 10, 2016, 10:06:16 AM
Glad you got it sorted out!

And.. don't be too hard on yourself.. It happens to all of us at some point in this hobby. (Well, not *me* but, you know, the rest of us. )

;D ;D ;D ;D

lol....do we need to revisit the soldering you were doing at WorldFlight last year Ray? :P :D

And yes it happens to everyone, even those of us that do this sort of thing for a living.
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

kurt-olsson

HAhaha

Thanks for the support compadres!!! =)

The Encoder War is coming to an end and i have won!!!
I got rid of the bad soldering, twisted the wires, mounted the encoder correct without the glue, without bending the encoder pins, using real connectors and now...

... 100% stable!!!...

I am almost crying right now having three of them working on my interrupt pins!!! 100% smooth, and i can throw the MCP around, disconnect and connect etc without loosing contact or get any twitch!!!

It has been a journey to say at least! Now with my opencockpit Korry switches and finalizing the backlight i can move on to the throttle and begin work on the overhead!

Special thanks to Ray, Kyle and lots of others on this forum for helping me with my encoder issues! =)

kurt-olsson

Some pictures...

RayS

Kurt:

Awesome work! You should dig up one of your first images when you started this project and put it next to the ones you just posted. Would be interesting to see the difference.

Kyle:
That 4-hour soldering job was some of my best work. 1 hour per pin.. not bad!  ::) :P (It didn't help that Trevor would interrupt every 10 minutes with "*NOW* WTF are you doing?)

...good times, man.......... good times...................................
Ray Sotkiewicz

kurt-olsson

Quote from: RayS on May 10, 2016, 12:16:33 PM
Kurt:

Awesome work! You should dig up one of your first images when you started this project and put it next to the ones you just posted. Would be interesting to see the difference.

Thanks for your words!

Yeah, i think there is some improvement! will look for old stuff and see if i can dig up old photos, remember my first: direct-solder-on-arduino! Not nice! heheh

Bob Reed

Kurt:

Kyle:
That 4-hour soldering job was some of my best work. 1 hour per pin.. not bad!  ::) :P (It didn't help that Trevor would interrupt every 10 minutes with "*NOW* WTF are you doing?)

And the entire time I was curled up, fetal position scared to death.. It was my CDU he was working on! lol  :o

Sam Llorca

And here is the proof!!!!
Kurt:

Kyle:

Bob Reed

Quote from: Sam Llorca on May 14, 2016, 05:11:49 AM
And here is the proof!!!!
Kurt:

Kyle:

OMG!! Too funny! Now you see why I was so afraid??!!  :o

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate