Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 06:12:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
472 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 478
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 472
Total: 472

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Need more space for my SIM, suggestions...

Started by mdavenport, September 14, 2016, 06:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdavenport

Hi,

Like most people.. this hobby started out with a PC and a screen and gradually got bigger and bigger..

I've been pushed out of a office/bedroom/box room into the attic but given I am looking at getting off the desk and getting a MIP either single seat trainer or dual I wanted to understand what the options of for expanding future as I don't think I will be able to get all of this in the attic.

I've got plenty of space outside but am looking for a cheap but resilient and dry option.  I've searched on the Storage Containers, sheds etc but really before I decide I thought I would check with you guys who have probably done this all before..

Any suggestions...?

Thanks
Mark

jackpilot

An "outside shelter" can be anything from a barn to a lawnmower shelter. But you will need a fairly heavy electric panel in that shelter + heating and/or cooling depending on your local climate.
Could end up expensive and, besides, you will also get the "loneliness" syndrome after a while, cutoff from the rest of the household. (and the usaul comments that go with it)
Remember that the  single seater has been designed for that purpose and is barely bigger than your desktop setup.
Check attached.
Jack

Jack

mdavenport

Quote from: jackpilot on September 14, 2016, 10:18:33 AM
An "outside shelter" can be anything from a barn to a lawnmower shelter. But you will need a fairly heavy electric panel in that shelter + heating and/or cooling depending on your local climate.
Could end up expensive and, besides, you will also get the "loneliness" syndrome after a while, cutoff from the rest of the household. (and the usaul comments that go with it)
Remember that the  single seater has been designed for that purpose and is barely bigger than your desktop setup.
Check attached.
Jack

Hi Jack,

They sound like wise words and are well noted.

I think the SST trainer will fit in the attic but it will be a challenge on getting it through turned on its end...

I'm thinking of either a Jetmax or Simworld SST.  The Simworld comes as one whole unit and can't really be dismantled but I've given the loft hatch measurements to Simworld and they created a cardboard template and slide the MIP through it - only just went through but it did!!!

The other thing I am not sure if I should be concerned about is the weight.  I have a 1950's UK house and they are built well but I imagine this is going to weigh around 70-80 KG.  I guess the other stuff like additional monitors etc will go.

Does a SST really only take about the same room as the desk?  Surely I need to keep the desk to leave the monitors on...

I wondered about getting something like this but one for about £500-600:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x8-Secure-Storage-Container-For-Sale-Free-Lock-Box-Fitting-If-Needed-/232076928502?hash=item3608dce5f6:g:mIAAAOSw-itXqFIW

jackpilot

Not sure about the Simworld stuff but  the JetMax comes in Kit to be assembled, which means all parts  can go through any window,door or stairs. You have the total dimensions here above.
You do not need a desk anymore, it is a totally self-standing system.
Other european manufacturers  have SSTD  kits also which can be the best solution for your attic.

Not sure a container in your garden will be allowed by your municipality, (and your neighbours).

Keep us posted.
Jack

Jack

mdavenport

What do the monitors stand on if I don't have a desk or do they mount on the SST?

Simworld isn't modular.. It comes built and warranty is void if dismantled.

Slightly off topic but.. Anyone on here got any feedback on Simworlds MIP?

It doesn't have to be a container like that but anything that can house it all and can be insulated / water proof etc...?

jackpilot

If by monitors you mean for the visual display, you do not need a desk, just a shelve will do , or a wall mount , or better: a screen and a projector.

Jack

Joe Lavery

Mark, I live in the UK, I also have quite a lot of experience with building planning, CAD etc,.

I would be careful about building into your attic, the joists are not designed to take that sort of weight. You would have to reinforce them with larger beams set alongside, supported by your external walls. The flooring is then built upon those. It can as you might imagine be quite expensive.

The container would be classed as a temporary structure so shouldn't be a problem, unless there's any contingencies in your deeds. Your local planning department would tell you if there is.

Hope that helps, cheers
Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

mdavenport

Thanks for info Joe.

I would imagine that it's about 75-80kg for a SST + about the same again for me being sat up there.

That being said I've sat up there flying the desk for 2 years now. Surely my desk and screens must equal about the same as the SST.

I do have a fair amount of the loft boarded out so that should spread the weight but guess it also adds to the overall load in the loft.

We also have storage up there which I want to try and reduce do that should take weight out of it.

I reckon most people in the uk over use their loft for storage. I hope I am not too far over - gulp.

Is there an easy way to check allowances and how much is acceptable?

If I went for a storage container or shed. What would be best taking into consideration damp cold insulation etc.

What do other use as their sim home?

mdavenport

If I were to move my sim to a new location due to weight in the loft and go to an insulated shed then what size would you recommend to eventually house a dual seat MIP and maybe projector.

Is something 8ft X 8ft enough.

Also I can't decide if it would be safe enough to store all that equipment in a shed. If insulated then I take it it would be fine to leave it unused for 1-2 weeks whilst going on holiday etc?

Where does everyone else keep their sim they are building?

jackpilot

8X8 is the size of the platform /shell for a dual seater you need much more than that.
12X15 would be a minimum (my 2¢)
With PCs and projectors/TVs running you will also need AC in summer in such a small location.

Most people use their garage or a dedicated room.
Jack

Jack

mdavenport

Oh.. That's quite a lot of space...  I assume the 12' is the width..

I wonder if I should focus on the SST trainer in my loft for the next 5 years before starting a project to get a dual seater once I've talked the wife into allowing me that much space :-) outside...

sagrada737

A 12' x 15' space would be quite nice. but seriously consider cooling for your Sim space.  Per Fred's suggestion, I use a TrippLite IP Cooler, which has 11,000 BTU and does a great job of cooling.  It would work very nicely in such a tight space, and runs on 120 VAC.

Speaking of power requirements.   You are going to need several circuits in your space for the Sim computer, lights, cooling, projectors/displays, etc.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

mdavenport

At the moment I run 5 monitors + CDU and lower eicas + 2 PCs from a single 13 amp socket and on monitoring it it's typically at about 4-5 amps. If I plug a heater in it shoots up so can only have 1 element turned on at once which takes it to about 9-10 amps.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate