Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 09:15:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
540 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 698
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 540
Total: 540

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Software, Hardware and Wiring...

Started by Jabsher, December 13, 2016, 09:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jabsher

Hey guys,

I'm making progress on my 747-400 build and I have a few questions and am in need of some recommendations.

I'm sure I'm opening up a can of worms by saying this but my electronics (computers, software and wiring) knowledge isn't the best...  So I'm hoping you guys can help me out!   :P

My build is getting to the point where I need to start "hooking/wiring things up".  So I have a few questions regarding this process.

For now, I just want to figure out my software needs.  It's my understanding I need a minimum of two programs, correct?

-First, is a flight simulator (MFS, X-Plane...) I've been messing around with the x-plane 11 demo the last few days, and the graphics are unbelievable.  Do you guys think X-Plane 11 is a good option, or would you go a different route?

-Second, is software to interface the flight sim with the cockpit functions and create sim displays, such as project magenta, correct? Any recommendations for software for the 747-400?

Is there any other software that I need to bring this thing to life?

Thanks for helping me out guys!

KyleH

For the 744, I believe the software you want is PSX: http://aerowinx.com/

Looks like there is a lot of information over there for you to look through that may answer some of your questions.
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

Jabsher

Quote from: KyleH on December 13, 2016, 09:59:44 AM
For the 744, I believe the software you want is PSX: http://aerowinx.com/

Looks like there is a lot of information over there for you to look through that may answer some of your questions.

I've been looking at their site.  Does anyone have any experience with them?

Garys

Yes, Its a very complete package of the 747. Its a very detailed sim and requires an external scenery generator (FSX,P3D,Xplane 10/11) Software has been developed for this via 3rd party. This is the closest you will get to a 747-400 FTD without actually flying for an airline and the one used by nearly all 747 builders.

Definitely avoid project magenta. Its mainly built for the 737 and still full of bugs even after all these years for the 747.

If your not in a hurry PMDG will be releasing their new 747 shortly which is supposed to offer very good cockpit building features. As its still in Beta testing the verdict is still out, however they are currently testing this on the 747-8 simulator built by FDS for the simulation centre they plan on opening.

So soon their will be two very good options for the 747 software wise now.

Gary

Jabsher

Thanks guys! So it sounds like Aerowinx and X-Plane is all I need to fly this thing!  Is aerowinx pretty user friendly for someone who doesn't write code or program?  Does it play nice with the hardware that's out there?

Garys

I found it to be user friendly. The menu and options did take awhile to get used to but that is the same for any software. Setting up the displays was easy. The only manual thing that is required is to remove the display bezels with a editor such as paint shop. I believe this is a feature that is coming in future update so you wont have to manually edit the bezels.

Hardware support its very good.

FDS, Open Cockpits (PSXSEECON) and CP flight hardware are all supported and with the boards from Simstack real panels can be used with no modifications.

I have no clue how to write code.  I ordered a book C++ for dummies which I'm reading but even that is challenging for me. I really am a dummy. Even so with their are some really talented guys who have done a lot of the hardwork in regards to getting the software to talk to the interface boards and offer it to the community. There isn't much that cant be done and there is always someone who is willing to help.

Gary

Jabsher

Quote from: Garys on December 13, 2016, 02:16:31 PM
I found it to be user friendly. The menu and options did take awhile to get used to but that is the same for any software. Setting up the displays was easy. The only manual thing that is required is to remove the display bezels with a editor such as paint shop. I believe this is a feature that is coming in future update so you wont have to manually edit the bezels.

Hardware support its very good.

FDS, Open Cockpits (PSXSEECON) and CP flight hardware are all supported and with the boards from Simstack real panels can be used with no modifications.

I have no clue how to write code.  I ordered a book C++ for dummies which I'm reading but even that is challenging for me. I really am a dummy. Even so with their are some really talented guys who have done a lot of the hardwork in regards to getting the software to talk to the interface boards and offer it to the community. There isn't much that cant be done and there is always someone who is willing to help.

Gary

I'm glad to hear that! Thanks for the info.

And your right, someone is always willing to help. This forum has been a lifesaver!

Jabsher

Thanks to everyone for the help regarding software!  From the sounds of it, I was overthinking things.

So the moderators haven't locked me out yet!  ;)  So onto part 2 of 3.  Wiring...

Now that I have an idea of what software I'm going to use, I need to start wiring things together (I've just been building/fabricating to this point).  I've been reading a lot about it here on the forums, but want to make sure I understand it correctly.  From the looks of it, it seems straight forward (famous last words).  Wire your switches into a Bodnar (or similar) card, and plug in the USB.  So here are my questions...

-Will a card like the BBI-32 (correct card?) work for all switches?  Example: On-Off, On-Off-On, Rotary, Korry and Potentiometer...  Any recommendations for cards?

-If I understand things correctly, you need a different card to light up the LEDs for the Korry's and annunciators. Correct?

Thanks again guys!

bernard S

hi... will add my 50 cents.. PSX is the only way to go period its as simple as that... card selection is easy open cockpits..the answers you are seeking are best found on the PSX forum ... word to wise ..read the contents of the forum before jumping in with questions

jackpilot

Do not hesitate to ask for whatever info you need.
:D
Jack

Jack

Jabsher

Quote from: bernard S on December 14, 2016, 02:27:07 AM
hi... will add my 50 cents.. PSX is the only way to go period its as simple as that... card selection is easy open cockpits..the answers you are seeking are best found on the PSX forum ... word to wise ..read the contents of the forum before jumping in with questions

I've been looking at the open cockpits cards.  Their Master Cards looks like a great solution for both inputs and outputs (led's).  But, please correct me if I'm wrong... The reviews I read said that you have to write code for each input/output.  I'm not opposed to learning, but I've never written a line of code in my life, so I'm a little apprehensive.

jackpilot

SIOC can be a nightmare for some, but it is a very powerful tool.
I am in the first group but if you go that route many people will be able to help you on this forum.
You may also PM Garys about his setup.
Jon Boe also has one of the best 747 + PSX
http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4981
Contact him to check what kind of interface he uses.

Keep us posted
Jack

Jack

bernard S

yes you are wrong ..i told you earlier go to psx forum ..did I not?. Once again go there read it ..then ask questions you will find enlightenment

Trevor Hale

Quote from: bernard S on December 14, 2016, 09:34:43 AM
yes you are wrong ..i told you earlier go to psx forum ..did I not?. Once again go there read it ..then ask questions you will find enlightenment

Easy Folks..  I just want to clarify this statement.

What I am sure Bernard means is that (The PSX 747 Software is the best software for the 747 Aircraft type. If you go to their forum and read about their software you will have a better understanding of how it all works)

Please do not think he is telling you that you can't ask questions here.  He is just encouraging you to go and read their forums to answer questions about their software.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

bernard S

thats 100 percent true I  am trying to help you and save you lots of wasted time..it appears to me that you are thinking along the lines of a MS based platform on which the 74 is an add on ..with PSX this is not the case it is a stand alone ....there are lexicons etc already completed all the variables are readily avilable.. and all hardware is supported from there almost all your questions have already been answeref in detail..but like i said read it all first ..then ask.

Jabsher

I guess I should clarify...  My plan is to use Aerowinx and x-plane for graphics, not MS.  My concern is wiring things in.  And ive read hours and hours of threads regarding the topic and some things are still not clear, which is what I'm looking for clarification regarding.

Basically, assuming I'm using an opencockpits card, I've read is that you have to program your inputs using SIOC to get your inputs to play nice with PSX.  But some of those threads are years old, so I'm looking for clarification as to if this is still the case.  Further reading leads me to PSXseecon, which interfaces the open cockpits cards with PSX.  But what is not clear is does PSXseecon or another add-on remove the need to write code in SIOC?  Reading your post, I'm guessing it does.

My concern is writing code.  I have experience building, wiring, soldering, etc... But zero knowledge with programming and coding. This is my main concern with the open cockpits cards and PSX.

Ridgenj

:2cw:

if you are going to use PSX with x-plane, may i recommend that you look into Arduino and
http://svglobe.com/index.html.
You will get a lot of functionality for no money and an easy to wire system.
cheers
luis

Jabsher

Thanks Luis, I'll take a look.  I'll only be using X-plane for the graphics though.

Ridgenj

Understood! The new 737-800 in x-plane comes with datarefs for cockpitbuilders, the 747 might be similar. Arduino might be a cheap way to learn and test before you spend big money. My first i/o cards came from Opencockpit before I moved to more expensive and sophisticated ones like FDS, PHIDGETS, BODNER and pokeys. I prefer now ethernet connections and it has been an expensive learning curve.

Cheers

luis

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate