Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 02:52:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
562 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 588
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 562
Total: 562

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Frustration to the limit!

Started by tennyson, February 15, 2017, 03:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennyson

In the never ending quest of getting my cockpit looking and operating better, I've spent the last few months updating almost every piece of software in the sim.

Last year, I thought it was a great idea to update my throttle, so I shelled out the cost of a second hand car, on what I believed to be, cutting edge technology.

Well, it was and it wasn't.

Back to the updated software. It caused major havoc! It has taken me all these months to get back to a reasonably stable situation, where I can go out, start things up and with 90% certainty, go for a fly anywhere in the world.

Only yesterday, I finally sorted out my last problem, integrating the new throttle and the test flight was flawless.

I spent last night digging out the Inaugural flights plans I had planned for last year.
I got up this morning, printed out my PFPX paperwork, Charts and guides, all prepared to launch into the second flight in my circumnavigation around Australia and New Zealand.

Things didn't go that well.
My CP Flight MCP wouldn't play the game. I played for a while and finally got it going.
So, cranked it all up, everything going and then I moved the aircraft to the starting point of Kingsford Smith Airport....boom, Crash.
P3D spat the dummy.
I started it up again and same result. I'm running Fly Tampa Sydney with pretty high settings, so I dropped them down.
P3D is closing down to desktop, now.

I make the decision, delete the cfg and re-start.
Nothing...nada....P3D doesn't wanna play.

I'm getting to be a bit of a veteran at this.
I know now, that I can keep going, get angry, swear and loose my cool, or I can just walk away.

Frustration to the max!

I shut it all down and went to the gym, ran around the gym and worked out my frustrations and lived to fight another day.

John Denver had it spot on...Some days are Diamonds, some days are crap....or something to those effects!

Frank

Bob Reed

I know this feeling all to well. Happened to me the other night. Things that had been working perfectly would not play well. This is the life of a simnut. Sorry Frank.

FredK

Frank -

Hang in there....you will get it all resolved...the storm will pass.  It always does.

Just take a deep breath and give it a rest for a couple of days. You will get it all working.

But nothing is forever....and that axiom certainly applies to our hobby...the storm will return.  It always does.

But isn't this fun!

Fred
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

jfuenmayor

I do not know what it is with P3D and add on software but, in my case, it fails to crank up once or twice before I get it going. It just hangs on the initial screen. Sometimes it just needs a re boot, sometimes not, at any rate, I have now assumed a more relaxed mind set and simply take for granted that this will happen, I am certainly not going to uninstall all the add on software ( ORBX, FSGenesis plus a myriad of airports etc.), I expect that some times it will take up to twenty extra minutes before I am ready to pushback from the gate.
So, cheer up fellows!!
:2cw:

RayS

Yep.. Same story here as well. Sim can go months without any issues then BAM! Gremlins start to creep in...

Usually right around the time you're about to host some friends for a day of flying!

Ray Sotkiewicz

tennyson

Hahaha...all too true.

I'm taking some valued advice and walking away for a few days.

I enjoy this hobby so much, but unlike all other hobbies I have, you never seem to be able to count on it.

I'm not disappointed, just aware......haha, first World problems!

Frank

sagrada737

One thing to consider with these Sim setups, it the impact on Sim software due to Windows Updates.   Most of us have smooth running Sim, the "out of the blue", things seem to go south for no reason at all.   That is, until you look at the Windows Update history.  This is why I create Windows Restore points on a frequent basis, especially after installing any new add-ons, like applications and/or scenery.  Not all modifications to our Sims works out correctly, and typically needs some tweaking to get things working nicely.  But when it is working correctly, that is a good time to create a new Restore point.  It's also a good idea at the same time to make a complete Image Disk of the OS and Data.   I have found that when the Sim starts having issues after it has been working correctly, that shutting things completely down and restarting the computers will resolve many of the issues.   If all that does not work, then I will resort to using the last working Restore point, which has never failed to bring the Sim back to working condition.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

tennyson

As usual, that's great advice Mike and I have heeded it.

My cockpit PC's (5 of them) are running on a separate network than the rest of my household PC's.

It's closed network, but when I need to update things, I have a wired connection to the modem.

Win 10 is a bitch for updates, doing them whenever it feels. I am extremely aware of the update issue during flying.

So, one of the good things that came from my earlier frustrations with the cockpit.
I've stopped doing updates willy nilly. I have a routine and a schedule now.

Maintenance on a two weekly basis and software updates bi-monthly.

It's been going great, except for the issues with the throttle.

After three years of building, it's time to make the mongrel pay some enjoyment back to me....hahaha

Frank

FredK

Okay...There is definitely an axiom with this hobby that says the chances of a sim crash increases by a factor of ten when a visitor is present.

A perfect example of that was just yesterday....

My interest for some time now is to do a presentation on cockpit building to the Model Railroad Club in my community at one of their meetings. I think the subject matter would be of interest to this group, and my ulterior motive is to do some advertising about cockpit building to perhaps coax some individuals to consider it as a second hobby (and to also do some advertising for WorldFlight).

So I get the president of the Railroad Club to visit last night. 

Now, my sim has been flying and behaving extremely well of late for the most part, but to be absolutely sure I spent the afternoon checking things out and rehearsing the flights I planned to do. All was running perfectly.

So the Railroad Club guy shows up and we get started.  My approach for visitors who have no aviation experience is to first do a short hop flight from KRIC (the local airport here) to KDCA.  I typically have them hand fly the whole way at low altitude so they get a feel for the controls etc.  From KDCA we then do a typical autopilot procedure flight to KJFK.

So I have everything setup for the first leg and we are taxing out to the runway and what happens.....the flight setup in the CDU vanishes...poof...a complete flush!  Now that is something that has never ever happened on its own that way ever.  So a bit embarassed by it ...I quickly reload everything.  All is fine again and we make it to KDCA.

Then we embark on the second leg and what happens.... 10 minutes into the flight P3D does a "P3D is not responding" and craps out.  That ends the evening.

Nonetheless the guy was impressed enough that I did get agreement to do the presentation.

Now...this is not the first time this sort of thing has happened with visitors...why the heck is that?

BTW...When I do the presentation I am going to have a signup sheet for the guys who would be interested in having a ride. Hopefully that will interest at least one or two in cockpit building, but I will also be hitting these guys up for donations come WorldFlight week.  Just an idea to raise a little extra cash.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

Bob Reed

My brother and I where just having this conversation. His hobby is home theater and he has a decent setup. He says he can watch 100 movies with no issues. Invite some friends over to watch a movie and bam.. 5 minutes in the thing crashes. lol We are not alone!!

tennyson

Ok, so just to round things out, I have persevered and finally sorted nearly all my current issues.

I'm back up and flying again and intend to stop installing and just fly for a while.

It's nice to sit back and finally concentrate on flying, operating procedures and practicing skills already learned.

Terrific feeling....

Frank

Trevor Hale

:cheers: Good to hear Frank...  That's the way it should be..
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Bob Reed

I have been enjoying flying mine as well. So much so, I do not want to do some of the work that requires me to take the sim apart enough that I cannot fly it!  :-\

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate