Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 12:26:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
506 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 507
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 506
Total: 506

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Help with awg size and where to get cables

Started by kurt-olsson, March 09, 2017, 08:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurt-olsson

I need cables for 5,12 and 24V that should be ok for max 3A in about 50cm length.

I am thinking of 12Awg size. Anyone hace a good ebay reference for cables?

Trevor Hale

Think your 12AWG is Overkill.

18AWG would be lots for what you want to do...

https://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator-_ep_41.html

22AWG is even good for 3 Amps up to 4 feet with a 2% loss.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

jackpilot

My whole sim is wired with 24 AWG stranded
Except high loads items like OVH backlighting (real bulbs) (12AWG to feed the distribution card, stick shakers,  relay card.
But all the inputs and outputs  use 24 AWG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-AWG-Gauge-Stranded-Hook-Up-Wire-Kit-100-ft-Each-0-0201-Dia-UL1007-300-Volts-/321567525553

Jack

KyleH

For 3A, use 18 to 20AWG. 12 is a waste of money
Make sure it has a UL or CSA rating on it.
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

kurt-olsson

So many thanks. It felt like it was overkill, but i wanted some adwise on this one. Will go for higher awg size!

I should have added that these cables will only be for higher currents like 1,5A to 3A. Also as Jacks overhead backlight with real bulbs.

blueskydriver

Dont forget to order heat shrink tubing...order it by the roll, much cheaper that way. Only get it for your most used wire size(s); maybe, that'll be 2-3 diferent sizes. Anything used less just get the prepackaged multiple size heat shrink and likely that will be 6 or less packs...

John

PS a RC Airplane heat gun (like hair dryer) works really great to shrink the tubing evenly, but does it much faster then the household type hair dryer. Don't use a flame that just (or can if done wrong) melts it and not shrink it, plus takes too long. ????
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

bernard S

all fine and dandy getting wires and what not .. but here is my two cents ..

A    the thinner the wire the more it's a pain to work with.. naturally this depends on your distance  travelled .. in my case over could tell you how many feet of wire I have run but the number is unbelievable 32000 ft to date I have run and have invoices to prove it .. so take it from me I know what I am talking about

B... so you have your wire howhatever you  going to identify them once in situ .. I promise you..that you will forget if you do not label as you go

C... go to wiremasters and get aircraft grade wire with papers do not get from ebay or recycled crap it will ruin your day if not continously lengths andvtesend for conductivity .

D .. get min of 1000 ft  roll single length .. yiu will for sure be foing the do over

E... get yourself a heatshrink printer.. and print directly to the heat shrink..DO NOT heat shrink your labels

that should give you idea of what to do

blueskydriver

Hi Bernard,

Thank you for posting these details and I really appreciate the pictures...please post some more.

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

blueskydriver

Hey Bernard,

Would you mind posting some of the item numbers of the wires you're using please? A list of the items you used would help me a great deal, as I have yet to set my cockpit back up and there is the B727 waiting in the wings. This is a great time for me to rewire, as well as help the new folks like Kurt.

Thank you,

John

bernard S

Okay will.give item numbers and a list of toys in the am

blueskydriver

kurt-olsson

bernard S

okay for John   

www.wiremasters.com      for aircraft grade wire .... do not call them and ask for stupid little  lengths that will just piss them off  tell then you require aircraft grade wire with conformity papers explain what you are doing and they will advise you as to best solution for your application  they dont just do wires they have a million other helpful items as well   I found them to be fast and customer service is excellent.

Must have tools

1.... Wire stripper .. stay away from the likes of the big brand home style stores like homedepot their tools for this sort of thing are crap again buy a good quaility tool this is one of a few items to go all out on

2.... Wire cutter  .. Get a wire cutter with a flush edge and very pointy nose  get a snap on they make best one in my view  dont drop them and brk points renders them useless but you can excahnge out for new so tell snap on chap to keep a few on hand  if using cable ties you can then cut them flush  I use cable ties or zip ties as placement holders prior to lacing the cables get different sizes and in lots of 500 or 1000  you will chew through them.

3....  Crimper .. Again get a high qualitiy  crimper in fact get a crimping set  which has inter changable heads

4....  A decent bottle of SINGLE MALT.. without this to aid you and company you will simple go insane  there is simply NO EXCUSE for not having decent scotch without it its self abuse plain and simple 

See how good I am at spending your money.. just get the best you can readily afford  its that simple  a poor workman blames his tools in this case good tools aid your work

joining wires...  sleeves   get sleeves they come in all sizes and then cover at the join with heat shrink  this is the only time you use heat on heat shrink  I use a blow dryer to do this  do not use butt connectors why firstly they are bloody ugly and that is reason enough  no its because if you do not stage them then they bunch up in a single place    once you have a grouping or wires by either bundle number or panel function then where you have joined them add an outer protective sleeve 

Other items

labeling wires  here we go If you fail to label your wires or identify them you deserve to be stabbed with a long screwdriver twice over   do this one wire at a time   

get a label printing machine that will accept heat shrink that you can print directly on to DO NOT heat the heat shrink as it will be difficult to read the wire number also by not heating if you Dink it up you can remove the sleeve and re use

terminal blocks  put every wire you intend to use to some sort of staging area and branch out from there so ALL wires go to a central location along with your cards  this makes things neat and easier to find items ..I preference is terminal blocks  again in my view if you fail to do this .. you deserve to be stabbed

Then once you have everything neat and tidy  use cable lace to hold the wires in place after removing the cable ties.  why remove the cable ties because they are ugly ugly .. I assume you all know how to measure wire to make neat and polished with mine they are just in place to get them up off the floor and operational once fully operational I will then re trim for neat ...now how many bottles of SM will you go through to get to this stage LOLOL

blueskydriver

Hey Bernard,

Thank you for the outstanding post! You have thoroughly encouraged me too revamp my entire wiring based on the details you provided. The amount of patience and attention to details really shows. You have my kudos for this, now if only I can focus like you have.

Additionally, what a great write up, taking the long form of explaining everything was really much easy to follow and new builders will appreciate it a lot...I know that I do and I've been at it for a while.

Lastly, please, please keep writing this way with any topic that you believe will help. One way or another, it does help all of us, because more details always sparks creativeness in others...old and new ????

Now, I got some ordering to do...

Best Regards,

John

Ps Karen says she really admires your work. Like you, she is a detail oriented person and enjoys the tedious tasks; maybe, I will have her do the wiring jobs for me...lol!

----For Peter, I think I might've hijacked your thread a little, but I am actually glad that I did because you got a greater deal of information, as well as location(s) to buy needed items...

simlady/ Karen

Hi Bernard,
Your pictures look so good. I love the wiring, organized in straight lines and so clean looking. IF i rewire John's Sims, I will deferentially do it like yours. This would save so much time on following cables from one end, to the other.

P.S
John... as you watch me redo the wiring, you might want to take note of Bernard's suggestion...

Quote from: bernard S on March 10, 2017, 03:09:12 AM

4....  A decent bottle of SINGLE MALT.. without this to aid you and company you will simple go insane  there is simply NO EXCUSE for not having decent scotch without it its self abuse plain and simple

Thanks again,
Karen

mikeybear

Quote from: bernard S on March 10, 2017, 03:09:12 AM

Must have tools

Bernard , you've inspired me to get out a bottle of my scotch :)

Cheers

Dave

kurt-olsson

No worries about thread hijacking, this is awesome stuff!

bernard S

with scotch  and without  you pic

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate