Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:38:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
517 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 500
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 517
Total: 517

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Extremely Close Call!

Started by XOrionFE, August 02, 2017, 07:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurt-olsson

Just did a fast reading...

I presume there was dense fog and if his localizer isnt malfunctioned, he should loose his licence and prob go to jail.

jackpilot

Better leave the conclusions and subsequent action to the experts.
What happened in the cockpit is still undisclosed at that point.
No fast judgment... please
;)

Jack

XOrionFE

Quote from: jackpilot on August 03, 2017, 04:51:00 AM
;)

I agree with you Jack.  It is very hard to comprehend how this could have happened in today's world with the systems and safety's that are in place.   We will have to wait and see what the final NTSB result is.

Scott

bernard S

whats so abnormal about this ..try air india incident and landing gear or Eva both recent ... this list of mishaps between both pilots and atc is endless!  Would your response be the same JP if it not your flag carrier (just saying) ..this incident smells of lack of CRM .. :2cw:

jackpilot

Quote from: bernard S on August 03, 2017, 06:27:52 AM
Would your response be the same JP if it not your flag carrier (just saying) .

Yes Bernard, has nothing to do with it.
We, pilots, know that human error is all too often the scapegoat. So , out of decency, the least we can do is wait for a full report and analysis before nailing anyone to the barn doors!
The facts are now known, let the professionals find out the causes.

Jack

Garys

Quote from: jackpilot on August 03, 2017, 04:51:00 AM
;)

If its true that they flew the return leg before pulling the voice recorder then we will never know exactly what happened. It will always be speculation from here on out but this just should never happen Period!

But Im sure we will hear from ALPA that  fatigue was a factor because the airline is working the 80hr a month pilots to hard. This is 100% pilot error, they were visual and they deserve to be hung to the barn doors.

jackpilot

Hung or nailed ?  That is the main debate ! :D

Jack

Garys

No debate required. These guys should have there licenses revoked.

cmdurney

Yes, the crew clearly stuffed up here. Question is what series of events lead to this and what can be done to make sure it doesn't happen again!

I believe they were flying this visual approach procedure.

Cheers

bernard S

pretty simple fly the plane brief the plate

Garys

Quote from: cmdurney on August 04, 2017, 01:43:58 PM
Question is what series of events lead to this and what can be done to make sure it doesn't happen again!

I believe they were flying this visual approach procedure.

Cheers

The lights to the parallel runway were switched off. That's the event that caused the confusion. However the AC crew were not the only aircraft to land that night with the airport in that configuration, yet they were the only ones to be completely confused by it. What they expected to see and what they saw ultimately ended up in a complete loss of situational awareness.

None the less its something that pilots with thousands of flying hours should never make, so how do you fix that? The crew isn't incompetent, the crew wasn't complacent - They made the call asking if the runway was clear as they saw the aircraft on what they presumed was the runway,  yet they continued the approach. How on earth do you fix that other than not letting these guys fly again.

jackpilot

Quote from: Garys on August 04, 2017, 02:21:40 PM

The lights to the parallel runway were switched off. That's the event that caused the confusion.

You mean 28 L  but 28R was lit of course?

Jack

Garys

Joe Lavery

I assume there is ILS available at KSFO, so unless they disconected the AP and were flying visual only, (why would you do that) then it's hard to understand how they got into that situaltion.
I have to admit to lining up on the wrong runway once while I was training, but in my defense the airport does have three crossing runways, and I did spot my error on the approach and did a go around before ATC had to intervene. It was nontheless spotted and followed up by a severe radio call from ATC, much to the amusement of all the other pilots in the circuit.  8)  ;D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate