Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 04:45:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
434 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 554
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 434
Total: 434

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

KVM switch help

Started by Mach7, August 26, 2017, 02:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mach7

Hello,

I am looking at investing in a KVM switch, however I do not know much about them except what they do.

In my setup I have 6 computers for my outside visuals and would like to control each computer with a single mouse and keyboard.

I am in the market for something hard wired, USB interface, that is not through a network.

Am I correct in assuming that the mouse and keyboard plug into the (single) KVM hardware, then from there output to each computer through a separate USB output?? , in other words although there is a 'video' input/output, if not required then it would not need to be connected?

If anyone is using a KVM setup, some information would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

mickc

Most KVMs have a VGA/PS2 cable from the KVM to each PC, therefore would also use a video output on  each PC.

Higher end ones use network cables from the KVM to a short dongle they terminates as VGA/PS2.  They save on cable space but are more expensive. 

MjTom

Hi,
I'm not sure if it meets your requirements.
I use: "Mouse without Borders"

so long, Thomas

paulnd

Hi,

A KVM switch is usually used to control headless servers with a keyboard / visual (monitor) / mouse group shared between a number of servers /PC's. A monitor is connected to the switch and displays the output of the selected PC.

There are software solutions as suggested by MjTom (Input Director is also very good and it is free) which allow you to share a keyboard and mouse connected to a single PC with multiple PC's but you use the monitors connected to each PC. The mouse cursor effectively moves off one monitor to the next and so on with the keyboard following the mouse cursor.

Hope this helps

Paul

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

blueskydriver

I have KVM Switches that are two, four and eight ports. They work great, but the drawback is all the switching. I am curious though, why do you want to KVM 6 "Visual" computers?

IMHO, you likely will not work on them when flying and most times it will be before or after flights; unless, one of those 6 crashes and you continue to fly, in which case you'll switch to the failed computer. However, where is the main monitor, keyboard, mouse for the KVM going too be?

In all my years doing sims, I found tightvnc works the best, but to use it you must think proactive. For example, all computers have no desktop pics or images, just a black screen desktop color, setup windows basic display mode (turns off colors in your open windows and such), no screen savers or power management schemes, nor should you use a password for each tightVNC machine.

All it takes is to name each machine or give it a static ip address, ie. You could  use 192.168.1.20 to 192.168.1.25 (or whatever series works for you). The point is you can have all 6 of your computers linked, but you minimize each window, so you only have to click the tab on the taskbar to access any one of them. Better yet, you can work on them collectively, instead of KVM click the switch, work on one, then click to the next, then to the next and so on.

Lastly, if all of these machines are networked for flying anyway, the tightVNC is simple and uses little resources. With the KVM, you will need all the cables that go from the switch to each machine (thats one for the mouse and one for the keyboard mulitplied by 6), which most times cost extra...

John

Edit: If you still go with KVM, make sure your USB types matches the computers. And, yes, you're correct that you do not need the monitor cable connected too each machine/port; you could use only the mouse and keyboard out to each machine, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the KVM though.

Almost forget too say "tightVNC is free, $0" and you can use an iPad or tablet or laptop to access the machines...yes, it's that simple. Once you're in a full cockpit shell and you have to get in/out enough times to press the KVM switch, you learn how quick tightVNC is awesome. Yep, you could place the KVM in the cockpit with you, but that requires long enough cables and the fact it's in your cockpit, which takes away from the immersion factor.  :idiot:
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

navymustang

Another vote for TightVNC.  Perfect solution for using on my 6 computer system.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

Mach7

Thanks guys!

I have 6 visual computers that work off the server thru the wideview program...so I basically have to fire each unit up using a dedicated mouse and keyboard for each,, then select Fs9, then flip the switch to enable the WideView slew mode on each unit...not to mention the computer shutdown.

Just thought it would be easier with one mouse and keyboard.

Thx

iwik

James,
I thought you could shutdown all clients from the server in Wideview.
Les

blueskydriver

Hi James,

Using KVM for what you want to do is fine because you're thinking of the network resources being used for a software solution like tightVNC and that it might slow down WideView. I don't use WideView, but I can say tightVNC is very easy on the network for sure.

I suggest you download tightVNC to all the machines and try it, then if you feel the network is taking a hit or WideView slows down, shut tightVNC off and/or uninstall it. The great part is you're not out any money for trying it...

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Joe Lavery

Hi James,

I originally had a system running 5 PCs, I wired a cable to each of them off the motherboard power button, so not the mains just a two pin plug that fitted over the pins on the motherboard itself. Then I made a switch panel using momentary switches which is the same as on the PC and mounted it in the pedestal, I used the same idea with the Power LED off the motherboard. It's very low voltage so I used 4 core telephone cable (cheap). That allows you to see which machine is on. This enabled me to start each PC with the press of a button.
To set them ready for a flight I added FS to the start menu on the three that were the visual machines, using a default flight with the necessary setting I needed. I also added Wideview to the start menu. The others were started with the various other parts of the Project Magenta suite in the same way.

Just a different method, hope it might give you an idea.  :idiot:

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

mikeybear

Hi,

Another possible solution is Synergy , I've used this quite sucessfully in the past , between a Windows main computer, and two extra visuals running Linux. not as cheap as TightVNC , but not bad at $19

https://symless.com/synergy

Regards

Dave

Mach7

Thank you all for the input on KVM switches and associated alternatives.

My paramount issue is that I have no internet connection with the server computers, therefore any program that needs a network to operate from would not be available to me.

My option here is the switch...i don't mind the extra cables as it has to be less than trying to juggle 6 mice and 6 keyboards for boot up and shutdown of the computer(s) and flight sim program(s).

Thank you all again!

-Jim

Mach7

Dumb question but I will throw it out there.....

Can you hack a single mouse to connect it to 6 separate PCs to work???

I have seen this hack done by soldering two usb outputs to one mouse to operate two separate computers....wondering if it would work with 6?

My first concern would be the power input from the USB voltage to operate the mouse...using 6 might create an issue...

He's an attached pic of the hack.

FredK

Forget the mouse hack....It is easier to use the KVM switch.  I have an 8 port switch which I built into the end of my pedestal console so it looks like it is part of it all. A compact mouse and keyboard are also built in. I control 4 WideView computers and 3 SimA computers from the convenience of the pilot's seat.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

Mach7

I notice that these KVM switch boxes have a VGA output and the included cable has a combined VGA and USB output.

I suppose the question I should be asking is this.....Does the VGA have to be connected? that is...can I just connect the USB mouse and keyboard inputs/outputs to manipulate the 6 computers??

FredK

You do not connect the VGA lead.

I am using an old version KVM switch that has separate leads for VGA and mouse and keyboard. If you search you can get one of those for very cheap.  My switch is over 10 years old now and still works flawlessly, however last year I bought a replacement of the same model to have on hand if ever needed in the future since I want to avoid having to replace/reroute cabling.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

Mach7

@FredK

Thanks for the info...a couple of more questions regarding these units.

What I can see from the illustrations so far, is that there is an input for the USB mouse and keyboard...but when they show the cables there appears to be only one USB connection output (along with the VGA output).

Does the Keyboard and mouse use the same USB connection to the computer? or am I missing something here.

Can you also explain the switching for me...my understanding is that I can just fire up all 6 computers then use the single mouse and keyboard to manipulate the pointers on each screen...I am assuming the switchbox buttons are there to select which computer is the master? or do you have to individually select a button to operate that mouse and keyboard on that specific screen.

In other words...with the KVM switch...when I move the mouse around, does the pointer move on each monitor at the same time...or is there a selection required.

Thanks

-Jim

Bob Reed

Quote from: Mach7 on September 03, 2017, 04:34:44 AM
@FredK

Thanks for the info...a couple of more questions regarding these units.

What I can see from the illustrations so far, is that there is an input for the USB mouse and keyboard...but when they show the cables there appears to be only one USB connection output (along with the VGA output).

Does the Keyboard and mouse use the same USB connection to the computer? or am I missing something here.
Can you also explain the switching for me...my understanding is that I can just fire up all 6 computers then use the single mouse and keyboard to manipulate the pointers on each screen...I am assuming the switchbox buttons are there to select which computer is the master? or do you have to individually select a button to operate that mouse and keyboard on that specific screen.

In other words...with the KVM switch...when I move the mouse around, does the pointer move on each monitor at the same time...or is there a selection required.

Thanks

-Jim

On a KVM switch, you switch from computer to computer. So if you have a 3 computer setup and you want to control computer 3, you set the switch to computer 3. If you want to control computer 1, you switch to computer 1. There are physical switches on the KVM unit to do this BUT... Most KVM switches have a keyboard command so you can switch right from the keyboard between computers.

FredK

Hi Jim

There are 8 buttons on the KVM switch corresponding to each computer connection.  You simply select the button for the computer you want to control.  The single mouse and keyboard connected to the KVM will then be immediately active on the screen for that particular computer only.  Again, do not make any vga connections to the KVM switch.  Keep your screens connected to their respective computers as normal.

The single USB connection should operate both the mouse and keyboard, but again, I have the old style mouse and keyboard cabling on mine.

Very simple!

Fred K

Ed

Hi Fred,

I've been following this thread with interest and the KVM switch sounds like a great idea. I'm still not sure what type of switch to order. I will eventually need between 5 and 8 ports. Some have HDMI ports..some have DP ports but it seems to me that this doesn't matter as all monitors will remain connected to their respective computers. Am I correct in thinking this way?
P3D5.3HF2, 3 x W10 PC's, FSUIPC 6.19 ,WideFS, Prosim737 V3 ,ASP3D, Vpilot, GSXL2, Pro-ATC/X, RAAS Pro, AIG Traffic, ,PFPX, TopCat, SimSounds,  http://www.737ngxca.com/

Bob Reed

Quote from: Ed on September 04, 2017, 04:03:05 AM
Hi Fred,

I've been following this thread with interest and the KVM switch sounds like a great idea. I'm still not sure what type of switch to order. I will eventually need between 5 and 8 ports. Some have HDMI ports..some have DP ports but it seems to me that this doesn't matter as all monitors will remain connected to their respective computers. Am I correct in thinking this way?

Um...Short answer, huh?  :D You hook the KVM switch up to each computer in place of a monitor. So you use the KVM switch to "view" each computer individually. There is one monitor connected to the KVM switch. This is the monitor you use to "view" each computer. You hook keyboard and mouse hook ups for each computer to the KVM switch. A mouse and keyboard connect to the KVM switch. This is the mouse and keyboard you use as you view the selected computer through the KVM switch. Want to view and control a different computer? Switch to the desired computer on the KVM switch. Which one to buy? They all do basically the same thing. Just get one that handles the number of computers you want to control. Hope this helps.

FredK

Point of clarification..... The configuration Bob is explaining above is the nominal way a KVM switch is generally used.  However for a cockpit configuration like ours you do not connect any monitors to the KVM switch, including the single viewing monitor he mentions.  Again, only connect the mouse and keyboard leads from each computer to the KVM switch...no monitors.  You will then be able to control each computer from the single keyboard and mouse.  Using that single keyboard and mouse you will see the mouse courser etc. on each of the monitors which are connected to the respective computers according to the button you press on the KVM switch.

This is the way I have my setup configured.....I have no monitor connected to the KVM switch.  It works great!

Fred K

Ed

Quote from: FredK on September 04, 2017, 06:33:11 AM
Point of clarification..... The configuration Bob is explaining above is the nominal way a KVM switch is generally used.  However for a cockpit configuration like ours you do not connect any monitors to the KVM switch, including the single viewing monitor he mentions.  Again, only connect the mouse and keyboard leads from each computer to the KVM switch...no monitors.  You will then be able to control each computer from the single keyboard and mouse.  Using that single keyboard and mouse you will see the mouse courser etc. on each of the monitors which are connected to the respective computers according to the button you press on the KVM switch.

This is the way I have my setup configured.....I have no monitor connected to the KVM switch.  It works great!

Fred K

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the clarification. Understand clearly now.

Bob:  Thanks for your input, but I'm keen to go Fred's way.
P3D5.3HF2, 3 x W10 PC's, FSUIPC 6.19 ,WideFS, Prosim737 V3 ,ASP3D, Vpilot, GSXL2, Pro-ATC/X, RAAS Pro, AIG Traffic, ,PFPX, TopCat, SimSounds,  http://www.737ngxca.com/

Bob Reed

Quote from: Ed on September 04, 2017, 06:57:15 AM
Quote from: FredK on September 04, 2017, 06:33:11 AM

Fred K

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the clarification. Understand clearly now.

Bob:  Thanks for your input, but I'm keen to go Fred's way.

You can get KVM switches that just do mouse and keyboard.... Glad we could help.

Ed

Thanks Bob. I didn't know that. Will search for them.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate