Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 08:23:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
551 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 584
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 551
Total: 551

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Upgrading my PC. Will this work?

Started by fsaviator, December 11, 2017, 01:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsaviator

Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

FredK

Hmmm.....free shipping is included, so I say that clinches going for it!

Be sure to keep us updated on reaching your 40fps target.....I think it will be a stretch though.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

Garys

Absolutely Not.  For the price of that chip you can build a brand new system based on the 8700K which would blow that out of the water. Any thoughts of buying 3 year old tech should be put aside immediately especially at that price.

blueskydriver

What about one of these paperweight heaters...uh, I mean processors? Would only cost half of your PowerBall winnings and the odds of one processor hitting 40fps is much better...maybe, 40,000,000 to 1. LOL!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671%20601300154&IsNodeId=1&cm_sp=Cat_CPU-Processors_1-_-Visnav-_-Intel-CPU_1&cm_sp=Cat_CPU-Processors_1-_-Visnav-_-Intel-i9_2

Disclaimer: If you bet on Powerball because one of the processor in my link persuaded you to race out for some Powerball tickets, and then you do win, I get 50% of your winnings. Why? Because I used 20,000,000 brain cells on thinking of a way too get 50% out of you and without blinking my eyes even once...uh, okay just once, but I am not deducting for that blink; otherwise, it would be 51%...ROTFLOL! :o :o ;D

Thanks Warren for bringing in some good humor!

John

| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

tennyson

Het Warren,
If you are using P3D, then the 8700K is the better CPU and about 2 Grand cheaper...and that's just the CPU. The supporting mobo will cost you 500-800 bucks as well.

P3D is CPU bound and as I've been told, the 8700K is a beast to overclock (if you want to).

I've just built a new PC for the cockpit, 8700K, Asus ROG Hero X with Z370 chipset, 32Gb very Fast RAM. The Board will support three GTX1080's. all in a row.
Running it with a Coolermaster 110i CPU liquid cooling, 2Gb Samsung SSD and all the latest software.
It took a week to load 800Gb scenery software and I'm heavily into testing all of the scenery and then I'm on to testing the hardware, before it makes it's way into testing in the cockpit.
It really is Xmas, at my place!

Frank

fsaviator

Great feedback everyone!  Thanks!

I've got my fingers crossed.  In the meantime, I'm hoping Santa comes through with other nice things from the Great White North (or at least just north of Toronto...)

Warren
Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

Bob Reed

The i9s have much lower clock speeds. I would avoid them for FSX or P3D... We are still CPU clock bound. Going to 64 bit gained me very little to nothing in performance but I am running a second gen i7 with a lower clock speed. I know folks with better clock speeds getting much better performance then me. So go with the higher clock speeds!

tennyson

Bob, you are so right.

That is why the 8700k is so popular now, as it can be overclocked very simply and is capable of high clock speeds.

Frank

FredK

On a serious note.....I can agree with the comments about the I7-8700k being the most suitable chip out there for P3Dv4.

I am in the process of totally rebuilding my WideView and avionics network as we speak. I have invested in 8700Ks with 1080Tis for my 4 WV computers. I have completed the basic build (no addons) and have to say that  this is biggest leap in performance I have ever experienced in moving to a new platform.....granted that it is a simultaneous conversion to P3Dv4 from P3Dv3.4 and the hardware change from I7-4790Ks. I will be repurposing my old computers for avionics.

What I am seeing is that you can significantly ratchet up the in-game video settings (AA etc.) without bringing the thing to its knees.....no need for Invidia Inspector also.  This is particularly important for warping projector setups like mine where AA and shimmering phenomena become more of an issue.

The logic is solid behind the performance gain....the I7-8700ks nominally overclock to over 5ghz and have 2 extra cores at 6.  That combination is ideal for P3Dv4 since there still is significant loading on a single core requiring high clocking, but there are clearly also some improvements in the 64 bit programming that will take advantage of multi cores. The 8700k also has a larger cache size that may be helping.  It is also reasonably priced. So overall a good choice for P3Dv4.

Admittedly I am in the very early stages of this rebuild so the final jury decision is still out,  but I am extremely ecstatic at what I am seeing right now!

Oh....and Warren....40fps are guaranteed so don't wait on the Powerball jackpot!

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

ifeliciano

Quote from: Garys on December 11, 2017, 06:57:35 PM
Any thoughts of buying 3 year old tech should be put aside immediately especially at that price.

I'm buying 3 y/o tech because I got a free ASUS X-99 Deluxe-II. Im going to add an i7-5930K OC'd to run some Prosim panels. Since Prepar3d is still dependent on clock speed, my FS system will have the fastest processor I can afford at the time I build the P3D PC.

Garys

$600 chip just to use a free MB? I hope you don't have to resort to newegg or such.

tennyson

Hey Fred, Don't want to hijack Warren's thread, but will you be going over to overlap on you projectors now, instead of butting them up to each other. I have specifically built this PC with the view of testing running all three Projectors from a single overclocked PC.
If it doesn't work, I may do the same as you and buy two more 8700K and still go down the 3 PC route again.

Frank

ifeliciano

Quote from: Garys on December 12, 2017, 02:11:26 PM
$600 chip just to use a free MB? I hope you don't have to resort to newegg or such.

Oh heck no. I'm not paying retail for it.

FredK

Frank

To answer your question.......

My plan at this point is to stay with butted projection no matter what.

The butted format decision is largely independent of computer power and performance.  It is more an issue of geometry.  Depending on the degree of overlap gradient a butted projection setup will yield at least 15-20% greater pixel density for the same screen viewing area since there is that much less total screen area projected onto given the elimination of the overlap territory.  In other words I can move the physical position of my projectors forward by that ratio amount to yield the same screen viewing area using a 4:3 projection format. That yields a directly proportionate improvement in display sharpness and vividness etc.

Along the way on this I have vacillated between overlap and butt more than once.  Each time however I have always returned to the butt format.  This comes down to a matter of personal preference of course.  For me, once I am flying I really do not even notice that the butt lines are even there.  It is certainly no worse than for those of us using flat panel displays.  However, for others a butt projection may totally destroy immersiveness.  It is a matter of trade off for what is most important to you.

Fred K

tennyson

ifeliciano

Fred.

Im not in the up-n-up on projection on multiple screens. Are edge blending packages like Fly Elise-ng considered "overlap"?

FredK

Fly Elise can be set up either as overlap or butt.  Works fine either way.  I am using Fly Elise for a butted projection setup.

Fred K

ifeliciano

Caflyt

After talking to Fred I decided to go to the 8700k setup.
Here is my open frame build with the 8700k, 16gb Aegis 3000 memory, cooler master liquid, and 850EVO SSD, and 980Ti. I will add another SSD (possibly M.2) and upgrade the PSU to 1000w (currently 750w) soon. The MOBO is ASUS Z370 TUF gaming.
I haven't even plugged it in yet so I don't yet know how it will perform but I will keep you posted. I am going to see how it does with P3d V4.1 and three Optoma gt1080's on this one computer.
Craig

B747-400

Hi Craig,

are you going to connect three beamer to your 980Ti?
Looking forward to your performance rreport. THX.

Cheers
Hans
Hans G. Schuetz
http://B747-400.net

bernard S

jackpilot

Nice color...
A list of specs would be more informative and helpful though  ;)

Jack

Flying_Fox

Quote from: Caflyt on December 15, 2017, 01:01:26 AM
I am going to see how it does with P3d V4.1 and three Optoma gt1080's on this one computer.
Craig

Should be just fine.

I am running 4790 with 980Ti (6GB) with average over 30 FPS in ports (heavy ports mag do down to 20) P3Dv4.1, ORBX Global + Vector + Open LC, UT Live at 80%

Caflyt

Well,
I will have to wait to see how it runs.
MOBO was DOA. Two DIMM slots not working.
Sending back and now ordering ASUS ROG STRIX Z370.
Wah Wah Wah  :(

Craig

Sam Llorca

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate