Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 09:35:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
556 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 583
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 556
Total: 556

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Optoma GT1080Darbee Projectors

Started by FredK, January 23, 2018, 03:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FredK

QuoteJust to clear things up, Fred, I used  "old mate" as a colloquial term and not referring to your age.

Hahaha....to be politically correct!

Frank

Well...I just turned 70 this past week....so "old mate" actually suits me fine!

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

FredK

I just completed my Fly Elise screen recalibration including some color adjustments.  It all came out pretty well.  I am satisfied.

The following are some pictures of the results. Please note that the color shading differences between the projectors are actually a lot better than what you see here....such is an artifact of my photography ability.  So I post these simply as an illustration of the fidelity of the Darbee projectors and as an example of what can be achieved with "butt" projection.  Color uniformity is not perfect, but a lot better than what you see, and it all looks much more brilliant in person.....you will have to trust me on that.

Fred K

Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

Trevor Hale

Amazing...  Looks beautiful, Butt Projection in my opinion looks the best.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

RayS

Same here with the butt method. Far less complicated .
Ray Sotkiewicz

navymustang

I prefer overlap, but I understand why some choose not to do that.

Just had to balance out the vote  :)
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

Nat Crea

2 votes for Overlap, without a doubt.

Nat

tennyson

3 votes for the overlap...even if it kills me,

Frank

brianwilliamson

Just spent all day finishing up the setup on my Optoma GT1080's.
Got the colours a lot better as well as the overlap, which is a lot better than before.

Couple of problems to note. When using Dynamic Mode, depending on your Brightness and Contrast settings, there is a very slow Automatic Gain Control in these projectors, which when you raise or lower a wing, there will be some slow changes to the image on the side projectors.

Also had a problem with heat and it stopped the colour wheel spinning. Also noticed another projector flickering occasionally, all due to heat, so the big fix from our local Bunnings Store:
......................Brian W.
3 X 6700K @ 4.4Ghz, W7-64 bit, 3 X GTX 1070-- 3 X Optoma 1020 GT Projectors, Airbus A 320 Flight Sim
plus 3 control computers.

FredK

Brian -

Make sure that you are running the projectors in "high altitude" mode.  That simply serves to increase the fan speed in the projectors significantly.  The downside is that they are more noisy, but that is the way you need to run them.

Fred K

ifeliciano

Fred,

How good is the digital zoom on the darbee? I really wasn't a big fan of digital zoom when it first came out. Always liked optical zoom, manual or motorized.

RayS

I had to stop using the "Dynamic Mode". If it was brighter on the left side of the aircraft than the right side (Like flying a N/S heading during sunrise), the projectors would try and compensate, completely throwing overall image uniformity out the window.
Ray Sotkiewicz

DaveA320

4 votes for overlap, Optoma Darbee, Natvis screen plus Truview...priceless.
Dave

727737Nut

I'll probably get kicked off here for this but my .02, having built several sims and ALL having used projectors until the latest sim I have which is 4K TV's    I can say this, i will never fly in a dark cockpit in the daylight on the sim again.  Pitch black rooms,  heat, spare bulbs, constant adjustments, gone.  Sorry...  I put 2ea  5000k LED bulbs in the sim to simulate daylight and it is awesome.  No need to run backlighting all the time, no need for a dark room,  no maintenance anymore, no more stubbed toes walking through a pitch black room,  and best of all, and can see the VASI lights like im flying in real life. The night time is a real looking environment and not dull black with light bleed from the PJ's.   Seeing your pics of dark cockpit and room and daylight sim time brought back the memories i'd soon forget. Don't understand how we do all this work to get realism then ruin it by flying at night in the daylight.  LOL  looking in the mirror here..... guilty myself.

Rob
737 Junkie

tennyson

Great points Rob. I can deal with the pain of all the projector drawbacks, for the immersiveness of the projectors.

I guess that's why we love this hobby, cos we all have different opinions and respect each others thoughts.

Frank

ifeliciano

Quote from: 727737Nut on January 29, 2018, 04:30:06 PM
I'll probably get kicked off here for this but my .02, having built several sims and ALL having used projectors until the latest sim I have which is 4K TV's    I can say this, i will never fly in a dark cockpit in the daylight on the sim again.  Pitch black rooms,  heat, spare bulbs, constant adjustments, gone.  Sorry...  I put 2ea  5000k LED bulbs in the sim to simulate daylight and it is awesome.  No need to run backlighting all the time, no need for a dark room,  no maintenance anymore, no more stubbed toes walking through a pitch black room,  and best of all, and can see the VASI lights like im flying in real life. The night time is a real looking environment and not dull black with light bleed from the PJ's.   Seeing your pics of dark cockpit and room and daylight sim time brought back the memories i'd soon forget. Don't understand how we do all this work to get realism then ruin it by flying at night in the daylight.  LOL  looking in the mirror here..... guilty myself.

Rob

Get three Barco or Christie projectors with 13,000 lumen and add some Ultra Short Throw lenses.   ;D :o

727737Nut

Quote from: ifeliciano on January 29, 2018, 09:16:32 PM
Quote from: 727737Nut on January 29, 2018, 04:30:06 PM

Rob

Get three Barco or Christie projectors with 13,000 lumen and add some Ultra Short Throw lenses.   ;D :o

I had a Barco 808 on one of my sims.  :)
737 Junkie

ifeliciano

Quote from: 727737Nut on January 30, 2018, 06:17:53 AM

I had a Barco 808 on one of my sims.  :)

Rob, that was a monster projector. 

navymustang

Rob, you are absolutely right about ambient light in the cockpit. I am working with the FAA on one of their research sims and they are wanting controllable ambient light in the overhead for the cockpit to light it up during the day.

Once I figure out how to make that look ok with regards to mounting the lights in my 737 overhead, I will move in that direction also.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

727737Nut

Jim.  Here are a couple pics of mine with just 2 bulbs
737 Junkie

727737Nut

737 Junkie

navymustang

Did you mount them in the overhead speaker ports?

727737Nut

Quote from: navymustang on January 30, 2018, 09:11:33 AM
Did you mount them in the overhead speaker ports?

They are on the back wall just in front of CB pnls and just below roof trim
737 Junkie

Garys

Another overlap vote here as well.

As a side note - I recently spent time in a sim that had 3 75" 4k tv setup for visuals. The clarity was superb, stunning actually. But something just wasnt quite right. I finally figured that even at 75",  everything outside of the cockpit was disproportionate to the size of the sim. Terminal buildings where to small, vehicles where to small, even clouds where to small. So I think the preference of projectors over TV has something new to ponder over  and the larger the sim the more it needs to considered.

navymustang

Things being too small is a visual system set up issue that could include things such as zoom.
One should be able to set up very nice visuals with LCD displays that are scaled realistically.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate