Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 08:40:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
556 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 583
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 556
Total: 556

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Optoma GT1080Darbee Projectors

Started by FredK, January 23, 2018, 03:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FredK

Zoom is certainly a factor.  Size of display also.  And they are related.  With flat screen LCD displays it is a matter of positioning the screens close enough to the cockpit.  Perhaps that is actually better done with smaller sizes rather than a 70 inch.

Consider this.....with VR game goggles you are looking at a tiny screen positioned just two inches away,  yet the spatial size perspective is just about perfect, for example when you are looking down at your feet.  Not that I am suggesting that VR will work for a cockpit.

And there are certainly issues involved with getting a projected screen close enough as well, unless you resort to large factor zoom settings or going with a backlight projection setup.

Perhaps the best solution would be LCD display inserts in the cockpit windows.

Please excuse my babbling and dreaming here!

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

Trevor Hale

Quote from: FredK on February 01, 2018, 02:10:15 PM

Perhaps the best solution would be LCD display inserts in the cockpit windows.

Fred K

Actually Fred, that doesn't work either...  I have done that for my side views, and I actually am too close to focus on whats out the pilot side.  I almost have to lean away when I look out the pilot side.  The LCD's need to be at least a foot and a half out of the view to allow your eyes to focus..

Be like putting VR Contact lenses in..  Don't think it would work LOL.
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

XOrionFE

I can attest that 5 60" screens are the perfect fit around an fds shell.  Buildings are all fine and yes, zoom factor must be correct to match the desired fov.   Each of my screens does a 50 degree slice for a total of 250 degree surround.   Awesome views.   Total immersion.  Screens are big enough to fill your entire windsheilds with exception of screen on your direct side where if you get close to the window you can see top and bottom...but that happened to me with projectors as well.   And bezels....well after a minute in the cockpit your brain forgets about them.

Of course the projector versus lcd debate has been had a thousand times here and Frank is correct, it is all up to one's own tastes and preferences and what is important to them.   What I will say is that before making investments in the next gen projector one may want to at least try to visit a good LCD based visual setup themselves and weigh thenlros and cons of each before choosing.   My door is always open to anyone wanting to see in person.  Unfortunately pictures and videos never do justice to any of our setups so in person is the only way to judge.  In turn, I would love to experience a NatVis quality setup someday.

Scott

navymustang

Since most of us are not "desk top" flyers you may not be watching what is happening in that world. But MSI has an LCD panel that is curved and can be stacked horizontally around the desktop to give you a very good immersive feel. Great thing - the bezel is less than 1/8" wide. So as Scott said, you will forget they are even there in a moment. I hope they start making them in large sizes soon. Currently 35" seems to be the largest.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate