Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 07:50:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
432 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 554
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 432
Total: 432

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Pedestal blanks / Fillers

Started by Trevor Hale, February 03, 2018, 08:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Hale

While looking down at my empty pedestal last night. I thought maybe I could finish it off with some aircraft specific filler plates.

Not a bad first run I don't think.

Still need to limit the tool paths though, otherwise I end up sanding these things LOL

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Fcoq

Hey Trev,
Nothing go to stop you!! ;)

Atomic_Sheep

How do you attach the acrylic to the aluminium plate? I know yours are 3d printed but for the traditional ones I mean? There's no screws on their face. Do they get screwed on from the back?

jackpilot

Blank plates, like any other panel, have 4 Dzus, one on each corner, or 2 diagonally for the small ones, to attach them to the Dzus railing
See various blanks at the bottom part of my pedestal

Jack

Atomic_Sheep

Didn't quite get what I was getting at. I meant the acrylic is mounted onto the aluminium panel which in turn gets attached with dzus fasteners to the rails. But how do you attach the acrylic to the aluminium?

Ed

A lot of the sub panels I have see are attached with small screws.
P3D5.3HF2, 3 x W10 PC's, FSUIPC 6.19 ,WideFS, Prosim737 V3 ,ASP3D, Vpilot, GSXL2, Pro-ATC/X, RAAS Pro, AIG Traffic, ,PFPX, TopCat, SimSounds,  http://www.737ngxca.com/

Atomic_Sheep

Yer those ones are easy, unfortunately, none of the blank panels on my plane have those screws.

Bob Reed

Most "filler" panels are just flat pieces of Aluminum with a fastener in each corner there are no "panels" on them.

Atomic_Sheep

Best shots I've got of them for my plane unfortunately. Definitely have acrylic over aluminium. The top one is 1dzus high and looks dented, not sure how you dent acrylic but hey... I've got another image of that 1 dzus high blank and that on'es not dented in but it's definitely got acrylic. You can also clearly see acrylic for the larger blank down the bottom.

jackpilot

you must find better pictures because I'm not sure what you mean. :o

Jack

Bob Reed

Quote from: Atomic_Sheep on February 17, 2018, 04:59:30 AM
Best shots I've got of them for my plane unfortunately. Definitely have acrylic over aluminium. The top one is 1dzus high and looks dented, not sure how you dent acrylic but hey... I've got another image of that 1 dzus high blank and that on'es not dented in but it's definitely got acrylic. You can also clearly see acrylic for the larger blank down the bottom.

Are these real panels?

Atomic_Sheep

Yep from the real plane. They're definitely blanks because there are no instruments that far down the side console... Right next to the stowage for all the flight docs.

I think I have another image, ill see if I can find it tomorrow.

Atomic_Sheep

Here we go, another blank with acrylic over the top.

Might need to zoom in to see the details.

EDIT: Zoomed in a bit.

navymustang

Where exactly is that panel. It looks like an overhead panel.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

jackpilot

Close to the tiller, but looks like a repro voice recorder...???

Jack

Bob Reed

Atomic_Sheep

Tis indeed side console next to the tiller.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the Voice recorder, because in other images that I've got, that voice recorder unit is next to other panels which aren't blanks, so the voice recorder unit is as big as the black area.

Yer maybe just glued on, I think I want to try screwing it down from the back.

jackpilot

Dmitry

As long as you do not provide larger and more focused pictures it is next to impossible to help you on that.
Cheers
Jack

Jack

Atomic_Sheep

Unfortunately those are the only images I've got.

jackpilot

You are referring to "your plane", why cant you take more pictures ?  ???

Jack

Atomic_Sheep

By my plane I mean the plane that I'm working on.

Atomic_Sheep

I Found the answer guys! Here's how to attach acrylic to an aluminium backplate without screws on the front of the acrylic panel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWxlsjHHL4E

Joe Lavery

That looks good but don't spray alcohol on an acrylic panel it will craze and might split. Also I think you'll need M2 not M3, they will be thicker than a 5m panel.
:2cw:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

Atomic_Sheep

Quote from: Joe Lavery on May 07, 2018, 08:54:15 AM
That looks good but don't spray alcohol on an acrylic panel it will craze and might split. Also I think you'll need M2 not M3, they will be thicker than a 5m panel.
:2cw:

Ah, didn't know about the alcohol quirk.

Yep, would need to find appropriately sized brass fittings, but the principle is there.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate