Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 30, 2024, 05:10:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
108 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,642
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 95
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 108
Total: 108

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Visuals upgrade - inspiration needed

Started by mdavenport, February 18, 2018, 12:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdavenport

I'm after some inspiration on how to upgrade my visuals within the limitations I have.

I currently have 3 x 23" LED monitors for the front out of the window. I have them slightly more centred to the captains seat to prevent the crabbing effect. The outer ones are also at a slight angle.

I wonder if I should go and get 3 x 42" led TVs although it could be quite difficult fit them in.

Then my other thought was to get a short throw projector and mount it above my overhead but can only have it about 1.5 meters away otherwise the brackets holding my overhead in place with be casting a shadow on my screen.

The picture below is a side on view of my current setup and you will see I'm quite limited for space on front of my setup although I could move it back but moving the overhead would be a nightmare for me.

I know I ultimately need to find a bigger more flexible location but for me at the moment that is a way off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

navymustang

Your physical configuration does look like a nightmare for projectors. You could also reduce the size of LCD you are going to. You could also stack them next to each other in portrait mode (vertically).

My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

mdavenport

Yes pretty constrained Jim. That's why I hoped a short throw projector may help.

In terms of turning screens portrait, not a bad option but limited to height of screens also.

mdavenport

I also wondered if I could just get 1 x 42" screen to start (Center) with whilst waiting for funds and use 2 x existing 23" on the side angles before committing to all 3 x 42" screens.

Would this work?

When purchasing the additional 2 x 42" would it be essential that I end up with 3 x 42" all the same model and spec?

Ed

Quote from: mdavenport on February 18, 2018, 02:20:48 PM
I also wondered if I could just get 1 x 42" screen to start (Center) with whilst waiting for funds and use 2 x existing 23" on the side angles before committing to all 3 x 42" screens.

Would this work?

When purchasing the additional 2 x 42" would it be essential that I end up with 3 x 42" all the same model and spec?

Hi Mark,
It's hard to tell from that picture how much room you have. One thing that's obvious though, those brackets are limiting your options. My advice would be to get some sort of arm such as is used to mount the Jetmax Overhead. Perhaps find plans to build out of wood or if you have a friend with a welder even better. I believe there's several companies that sell them in Europe as well. This would open up more options for visuals as well as giving you more freedom to move the sim about.

About the 42 inch. If you're going TV screen and you have the room, go 60. I'm currently using a 60 inch Samsung and it's great. (Actually I have 5 of them, all the same model) but my cockpit is split in two right now. Half of it in the basement and the other half is in my spare bedroom. I find the 60 to be a good size as under normal flight conditions you would have to squash your nose against the windshield to see the top or the bottom of the TV screen. The single 60 I am using is centered over Captains view, however when I go 3 or hopefully 5 someday, one will be centered, the others will be angled around the center screen.

If you find an arm to mount your overhead that would also open up the projector option. Jack mentioned in another thread that he loves his single projector visuals.

This is just  :2cw:  Hopefully I haven't been too abrupt with the bracket things. Almost midnight. Time to hit the hay.

Ed
P3D5.3HF2, 3 x W10 PC's, FSUIPC 6.19 ,WideFS, Prosim737 V3 ,ASP3D, Vpilot, GSXL2, Pro-ATC/X, RAAS Pro, AIG Traffic, ,PFPX, TopCat, SimSounds,  http://www.737ngxca.com/

mdavenport

Hi Ed

I wanted a jetmax type mount but couldn't find one suitable. I would have had to gone for a cockpit frame which was just to wide and high for what I could accommodate.

If you know of any suppliers then please share any names / links and I will investigate further. I would like to have more flexibility back in being able to move my sim.

I think a 60" may just be pushing it for me on size and cost. If I were to go 42" or 46" do you think in experience I could still make use of my 23" screen for side windows?

Ed

Quote from: mdavenport on February 19, 2018, 12:16:35 PM
Hi Ed

I wanted a jetmax type mount but couldn't find one suitable. I would have had to gone for a cockpit frame which was just to wide and high for what I could accommodate.

If you know of any suppliers then please share any names / links and I will investigate further. I would like to have more flexibility back in being able to move my sim.

I think a 60" may just be pushing it for me on size and cost. If I were to go 42" or 46" do you think in experience I could still make use of my 23" screen for side windows?

Hi Mark,

There is this one at Aviation Megastore but perhaps too wide as well?

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/b737-metal-cockpit-frame-mec-estdbov7-opencockpits-mec-estdbov7-b737ng-overhead-opencockpits/product/?action=prodinfo&art=130733

Perhaps you could fashion something out of this thread. Measurements and angles there.

https://prosim-ar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3109

My 60 inch Samsung is approximately 138 cm x 78 cm . It stands 29 inches off the floor , so that may be the game changer if this height is a limiting factor.

From what I know I dont see any reason why you couldn't use the smaller screens for side windows. Pretty sure Trevor uses a couple of small screens for his side views. Someone with more experience might chime in here with better info on multiple screens as my experience is with FSX Steam.

Basically, bigger the screen the better in my mind but as always, it boils down what you're happy with and what your budget can stand.

I was using a single 32 inch front view for years. When I went to the 60 I found it so much better so you would probably experience the same. I'm using 1080p screens and they aren't that expensive nowadays. Mine were 455 pounds each. Not sure of the price of a 42.

Hope this helps,

Ed

P3D5.3HF2, 3 x W10 PC's, FSUIPC 6.19 ,WideFS, Prosim737 V3 ,ASP3D, Vpilot, GSXL2, Pro-ATC/X, RAAS Pro, AIG Traffic, ,PFPX, TopCat, SimSounds,  http://www.737ngxca.com/

Joe Lavery

Hi Mark,

I bought 3 x 42 inch 4K screens from PC World at £299.00 each, they are a vast improvement on the 3 x 19 inch monitors I had before.

They are not in position yet as I'm building a shell at the moment, together with a set yokes and a new TQ, so it will be a couple of months before they're in use.
I did set one up on my current PC for a test and the external view in P3D is awesome.

Cheers
Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

mdavenport

Hi Joe.

They sound great. What make and model are they?

What are the things to look out for when purchasing a TV to act as a simulator screen?  Is there a certain refresh rate etc?  HDMI or DVI etc?

Also I'm likely to only be able to get one first whilst I save for the others so will look to use my 23" for the left and right side until I can afford the next 2.

Joe Lavery

Hi Mark,

They were JVC TVs model No. JVC LT-43C870 currently selling in Currys for £329.00
They are 4K with a3840 x 2160 resolution. They have 3 x HDMI ports, SVGA, Composite and USB.
Very few TV's have DVI. Unless you want to pay a lot more money.

I have to admit I went basically on the price, they don't have the fastest refresh rate (50HTz) but that's not important unless you intend to play racing car games. or fly a Pitt's special.
:2cw:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

Ed

This is with my single 60 inch setup at the moment. Might give you an idea of how yours would look with a bigger screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqe8co_iJeg

mdavenport

Thanks all.

Ed, the 60" looks good.

Not sure I could go that big as don't have the height available without moving the whole sim back and given I've fixed my overhead its not something I want to tackle at this point in time - maybe when I get my dedicated sim hanger / shed / garage I can re-evaluate but I think i'm 3-5 years away from that.

For now I think I could get a 42" for my centre screen and then see if I can use my existing 23" as the side windows- if anyone has this type of setup then I would be interested to know how you got on.  In short to med term, I would plan to increase from 1 x 42" to 3 x 42" and replace the 23" side screens.  Unless of course I find a way for a short throw projector to fit and work ok..?

Certainly building a sim up in the only place you have gives a lot of limitations that aren't identified when starting out and become frustrating as you get a better setup...

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate