Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 09:05:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
353 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 398
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 353
Total: 353

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Yoke elavation and linear potensiometer

Started by kurt-olsson, March 24, 2018, 10:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurt-olsson

Hi

Sorry for always "spamming" the forum everytime i face a new challange but often there are smarter people than me in the forum that has the best solution.

I am thinking of a good way to implement elevation reading with my yokes.
Because the crosstube metalpin that moves in an arc shape i cannot translate it direct to linear motion.

I have seen some people use nylon thread together with a slidepot.

Whats your take and setup on this one?

navymustang

Do a Google search for linear potentiometer.
And as an example look at:
https://www.famaengineering.com/en/products-catalog/potentiometers/mls130/

They are expensive, but you can put a rotating pivot joint on either end, tie one down to the frame of your sim, and the other pivot end point to your yoke cam plate, or however you want to mount it.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

mikeybear

I agree with Jim's suggestion , but the cost of those potentiometers has put me off in the past.

How about using a rotary potentiometer with a lever attached that has a slot in it so the metal pin you refer to , can slide up and down as it rotates,
this would compensate for it not being a true circle and the pot. would not have to be exactly and the center of the arc.

See Diagram :)

ifeliciano

Quote from: navymustang on March 24, 2018, 11:57:18 AM
Do a Google search for linear potentiometer.
And as an example look at:
https://www.famaengineering.com/en/products-catalog/potentiometers/mls130/

They are expensive, but you can put a rotating pivot joint on either end, tie one down to the frame of your sim, and the other pivot end point to your yoke cam plate, or however you want to mount it.

Jim,

Would a slide potentiometer along with some linkages not work here?

navymustang

Yes - possibly. But without seeing the mechanical configuration it is difficult to determine.

You could also use a string pot.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

ifeliciano

Quote from: navymustang on March 24, 2018, 04:06:18 PM
Yes - possibly. But without seeing the mechanical configuration it is difficult to determine.

You could also use a string pot.

OK, thanks. I asked only because I have several slider pots laying around from car sim racing rigs I built in the past . I wasn't questioning your methods or suggestions.  :)

kurt-olsson

Sorry. I will make a video of the mechanics and post here.

kurt-olsson

Man that linear potentiometer will be a clean and sweet setup! Will prob go for this despite the price, any other solution will cost half anyway.

Thanks Jim!

mikeybear

Would a slide potentiometer along with some linkages not work here?

I'm pretty sure this could work , I've recently done this for an inertial separator control http://www.cockpitbuilders.com/community/index.php?topic=6978.msg50282#msg50282

I used a low profile ? slider pot to make it smaller , and the longest travel I could find was 100mm/ 4 inches.

@Peter  how long a travel do you need here ?

kurt-olsson

Wow thanks! Think i will buy this and give it a try. Only need 6-10cm travel for full range.

jackpilot

I used these for my 4 axix TQ and they worked flawlessly for years...and still do !
https://www.phidgets.com/?tier=3&catid=12&pcid=10&prodid=83

Jack

kurt-olsson

Thanks everyone! Seems i have lots ofnoptions to try out. Thanks

jackpilot

Do not hesitate to invest in industrial grade pots as the yoke pots are probably the mostly abused pots in a sim.  :P

Jack

kurt-olsson

Yeah, thinking the same!
If it is one thing that needs good resolution and feedback it is the yoke and throttles.

Flying_Fox

This is how mine works:

60 mm travel sliding potentiometer from Phidgets (same one as Jack mentioned), swinging on one end attached.
Working flawlessly for over 4 years.

See also http://elephantair737.blogspot.ca/p/control-columns.html for more details on my control columns.

:2cw:

Nick

kurt-olsson

Thanks Nick!
Will start with the same setup as yours and evaluate.
I need 10 cm of length but i have found these on ebay.

Once again, thanks for all your solutions and input.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate