Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 05:08:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
35 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 41
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 35
Total: 35

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

trouble with monitor! Keystone?

Started by kurt-olsson, July 20, 2018, 04:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurt-olsson

After mounting my monitor in the MIP i fired up X-plane and was dissapointed because when my head is above the monitor the image fades away fast! I have to look at the monitors center position for best image.

How do you resolve this problem?

What settings should i try to put on the monitor?

kurt-olsson

Looks like the monitor can handle it if i pit my head lower the screen but not ovwr it. I have flipped it so i guess the monitor cant be flipped....

Joe Lavery

Hi Peter,

All monitors have a field of view angle, and some are much wider than others. However verey few can be flipped because they are designed to be viewed from the front at almost eye level. Once you go beyond this field of view the picture fades very quickly, as you have found out.

There are monitors out there designed with a much wider field of view but they tend to be very expensive. You only have to stand to the side of any monitor and you will soon see what the viewing angle is.

I don't beleive there is any internal settings that will change this field of view, it's limited by the way the screen was manufactured. Although in general higher resolution screens tend to have a wider field of view.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

navymustang

You are correct, there are no settings to make this change. It is the mechanical characteristics of the screen itself. The only solution is purchasing an LCD that has the wider horizontal field of view. Who ever said this hobby was cheap?   :)
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

Trevor Hale

I actually have this issue, but have solved it by rotating the monitors accordingly.  most monitors can be viewed from left or right, and top down, but not bottom up.  Sometimes flipping the monitor one way will make it good for the captain to see it but crappy for the first officer to see it.
I believe this was mentioned briefly when you went to order your monitors either way its a crappy situation for you.  Most of the time manufacturers will specify 160 degrees FOV or 180 degrees FOV, but its not always the case.
Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

kurt-olsson

It appears that its ok to look from above down but not down up as you say Trevor. The problem is that i will have to redo the mounting and if i have the monitor the right way the cables connector is in the way for my MIP, but its just to find something clever to tackle this problem...

kurt-olsson

BINGO

just turning it back upside down made the fading go away. You can have your head as high as you want how close as you want but you can not have it LOWER than the monitor, then it fades out directly.

Pheeew... so nice to see a clear PFD! =)

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate