Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 06:59:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
425 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 554
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 425
Total: 425

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Display help with FSX

Started by matta757, January 19, 2019, 12:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matta757

Hi everyone,

I just bought a new computer and have finally ditched FS9. I am working on moving to P3Dv4 at some point. But as an intermediate solution to keep my sim flying while I work on writing code, I'm using FSX with the LevelD 767 (I am not using P3Dv3 for a long and complicated reason).

I am trying to set up my CRT displays for the LevelD 767 in FSX but am running into a frustrating problem that I can't figure out. I am running 2 video cards, a RTX 2070 and a GT 740.

The 2070 is running the outside visuals (1920x1080) and also was going to run the ADI (cloned for FO). The 740 will run the both EICAS and the CDU via a TH2Go and the HSI (cloned for FO). All the CRT monitors are running at 800x600 with the TH2Go at 2400x600. So total is 4 display outputs.

I can see the monitors in the FS display settings and everything starts up just fine. I put FSX into full screen mode and move each gauge window to its respective monitor. But the problem that I am running into is that whichever monitors are connected to the GT 740 card won't show the gauge window, they just show an FSX image (see attached picture).

I have tried switching around which monitors are connected to the RTX 2070 and GT 740 to make sure it's not a monitor issue and it isn't. The monitors connected to the 2070 always display the gauge windows properly, the ones connected to the GT 740 do not.

All nVidia display drivers are up to date. I also tried rolling back to the oldest common driver between the RTX2070 and GT740. Didn't make a difference.

Not having a lot of experience with multiple monitors in FSX (and it being quite different from FS9) I am not sure what the problem is. Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

jackpilot

No idea, but someone will chime in for sure...has to be simple  :(

Jack

757Simulator

Matt, my opinion? Roll back to FS9 or spring forward to XP11. Honestly FSX and P3D will leave you pulling your hair out. We know - been there done that. I'll probably get clobbered by naysayers but frankly I don't care. The 57 sim we have now is second to none. I've been following your progress and wish you the best.

matta757

Mike,

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your opinion regarding which software to use but I don't want this to become a P3D vs. XPlane 11 debate.

And regarding FS9, I have always been a strong proponent arguing that FS9 was still one of the best platforms out there but the simple fact is that no one makes anything in terms of scenery or addons for it anymore.

I'm switching to P3D (and FSX in the interim) because they open up the opportunity for sceneries like the Flight Beam KMSP, my home airport, that are modeled so closely to the real thing it's unbelievable.

The reason for this post is that I know multiple monitors work in FSX, I have seen it, I just need to figure out what's up with mine at the moment. I agree FSX is not ideal but it will keep my sim flying until I can officially switch to P3D or XPlane should I go that route. The good news is that I at least have those options now.

Matt

Trevor Hale

Hi Matt,

Possibly your problem is on one key word that you mentioned in your post (You switch to Full Screen Mode)  I have been running multiple monitors for an eternity, and what I do is just create new views, (Un-dock them) and drag the gauges down to your instruments.  the triple head 2 go doesn't need to run in full screen mode.
I am guessing it's the "Full Screen mode" that is putting the fsx screen in the other monitors.

Unless I am misunderstanding, don't run in full screen mode, keep it in windowed mode, and just hide the window frames behind your bezels.

After your windows are in the correct position, save the flight and always reload that flight when you start, as long as your monitors don't change position or numbers you will always be good.

Trev
Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

matta757

Hi Trev,

Thanks for your input. I thought of that too. But I don't think that's the problem. I have watched several how to videos on YouTube regarding multiple monitor setup in FSX (like 8 monitors) and all of them have done it in full screen mode and i have followed their steps. I really dislike running in windowed mode, I find that having the menu bar and/or the title bar at the top showing really detracts from the experience.

Matt

KyleH

Hi Matt,

I agree with Trevor. Try running FSX in windowed mode. It is recommended by LevelD to run it this way. Thats how I run mine.
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA

757Simulator

Great reply Trevor. Yes with 3-heads windowed mode is a must. Otherwise you'll get a flashing freak show as the monitors go crazy. Sorry I didnt mention.

Trevor Hale

Quote from: matta757 on January 20, 2019, 05:28:55 AM
Hi Trev,

I really dislike running in windowed mode, I find that having the menu bar and/or the title bar at the top showing really detracts from the experience.
Don't fret in P3D you can hide the Menu Bar.. 
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA

VATSIM:

n4208t

Matt,

Are the gauges running on a single LCD for each position (captain and copilot) or is each gauge in its own independent LCD?  In other words, are there 4 or 2 displays?  The reason I am asking is that even with an overclocked 760 I do not think you can drive 4 monitors with only 2 GB of RAM even though you are only cloning one off the other. 

BTW- where in Minnesota are you?  I am in Eagan.

Steve

matta757

Quote from: n4208t on January 21, 2019, 12:57:59 PM
Matt,

Are the gauges running on a single LCD for each position (captain and copilot) or is each gauge in its own independent LCD?  In other words, are there 4 or 2 displays?  The reason I am asking is that even with an overclocked 760 I do not think you can drive 4 monitors with only 2 GB of RAM even though you are only cloning one off the other. 

BTW- where in Minnesota are you?  I am in Eagan.

Steve

Steve,

I have 4 monitors (well, technically I have 8 monitors, but the 2 EICAS screens and the 2 CDU screens are on the TH2G), one for each ADI and HSI. I had no problem running all 8 (well 9 if you include outside view) monitors in FS9 on the same video cards (actually lesser since the 2070 is brand new).

I am also in Eagan! Small world :)

Matt

matta757

Quote from: 757Simulator on January 20, 2019, 11:19:24 PM
Great reply Trevor. Yes with 3-heads windowed mode is a must. Otherwise you'll get a flashing freak show as the monitors go crazy. Sorry I didnt mention.

Hey guys,

I have never run my sim in windowed mode (with FS9) and never had a single bit of trouble. Matter fact, in FS9 the beauty was that all I had to do was undock the windows, put them on the proper monitor, go to fullscreen and all was well. Since the windows were set to the resolution of the monitor they automatically fit the monitors flawlessly and I never had a single glitch.

I also know that Dan was running his 767 using LevelD in FSX in full screen mode using 5 screens (I believe) with no issues. I have read all the advice about why you shouldn't use full screen but I know it can be done successfully.

Matt

KyleH

Matt,

Just as a troubleshooting exercise, have you tried using windowed mode yet to see if it works?

Also, different hardware and software combinations will react differently. If your referencing 'so-and-so has done it', then you may have to duplicate their exact setup or really close to get it to work.
For example, you used FS9 in full screen mode...I had to have mine set to windowed mode to get it to run properly using LevelD and FS9.

Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA

matta757

Quote from: KyleH on January 21, 2019, 02:07:39 PM
Matt,

Just as a troubleshooting exercise, have you tried using windowed mode yet to see if it works?

Also, different hardware and software combinations will react differently. If your referencing 'so-and-so has done it', then you may have to duplicate their exact setup or really close to get it to work.
For example, you used FS9 in full screen mode...I had to have mine set to windowed mode to get it to run properly using LevelD and FS9.

Hi Kyle,

Fair enough. I just tried it in windowed mode and had the same issue. Not only that, when I tried to adjust the size of the windows to fit the screens, they went black and the mouse turned into the spinning circle of death and I had to close the game. So it does not appear to be just a full screen/windowed issue.

Matt

bernard S

lol  matt is about to start a new bromance     lololol   

n4208t

Hey Matt,

Small world indeed.  We should get together sometime for a coffee.

Just a thought.  Which version of FSX are you running?  And why the interim?  Why not just jump to P3d?

Steve

matta757

Hi Steve,

That would be cool. To make a long story somewhat shorter, the reason that I'm using FSX and not P3D is because the utility program I use to interface the switches and buttons in my sim is not P3D compatible. There is a version of it that does work with P3D but it uses SIOC instead of FSUIPC and I am not interested in trying to learn that language (again) when I will inevitably be switching to either the Captain Sim 757 in P3Dv4 or the Flight Factor 757 in XPlane. It would also require buying new I/O cards and that would be a waste.

But I am also not willing to not be able to fly my sim as I work on figuring out those other platforms. So for now, it has to be FSX. I am running FSX with SP2. I have owned it since it came out but never had a machine truly capable of running it until now.

Matt

iwik

Matt,
I would not mix video cards. Can you not borrow beg or steal another Radeon to try.
Just my 2cents worth.
Les

matta757

Quote from: iwik on January 22, 2019, 09:16:57 AM
Matt,
I would not mix video cards. Can you not borrow beg or steal another Radeon to try.
Just my 2cents worth.
Les

They're both nVidia cards

Matt

iwik

Sorry Matt,
So used to R prefixed being AMD.

Les

KyleH

Matt, can you post your panel.cfg file?
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA

n4208t

Thx for the explanation.  Have you tried plugging just a single set of those displays (pilot or copilot) directly into the GT760 to see if the gauges will display correctly?  If they do then maybe the problem is the TH2Go and not FSX? 

BTW-I will PM you my contact info so we actually can get together some time.

N606DL

Hey Matt, just a heads up when I was using FSX, I had to plug each display one by one and set their
resolution in the Nvidia control panel and where I wanted it to be located. I doubt this will help but that's how I got mine to work. Now mind you I could NOT get my 4th monitor to display for reasons I have know idea,so I didn't have a lower EICAS. BUT when I switched to P3d I was able to get it to work no problem.

Danny

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate