Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 12:15:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
558 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 562
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 558
Total: 558

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Finally! No more auto-updates from Microsoft!

Started by RayS, April 05, 2019, 09:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayS

Ray Sotkiewicz

jackpilot

Seems like a joke to me:

And I love the bs language:
.... installation was automatically initiated on a device once our data gave us confidence that device would have a great update experience......ecosystem health....transparency...we will work closely with ecosystem partners  etc etc
This one is hilarious: 
We are also continuing to make significant new investments in machine learning (ML) technology to both detect high-impact issues efficiently at scale and further evolve how we intelligently select devices that will have a smooth update experience.

BS or what !!

Anyway they do NOT surrender control of our machines...

we're making it possible for all users to pause both feature and monthly updates for up to 35 days (seven days at a time, up to five times). Once the 35-day pause period is reached, users will need to update their device before pausing again.

Jack

RayS

Yeah it's like a shell game with those updates.

I guess it's back to editing the registry to turn those stupid updates off once and for all.
Ray Sotkiewicz

FredK

Hmmmmm....

My words of advice are to make sure you have everything backed up before that May 10 update (the one that is designed to fix all future updates)! 

From the wording in the announcement it seems they will be digging around pretty deeply inside of your machine.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

757Simulator

Quote from: RayS on April 05, 2019, 09:43:28 AM
I can't tell you how many of those "Convenient" Windows updates broke everything on my sim.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/04/04/improving-the-windows-10-update-experience-with-control-quality-and-transparency/

I despised them... literally.

Ray, cannot agree with you more. In fact, I have several notes, and one sticker, reminding me to never update the "Main Computer". Headaches after headaches.

Great post,

Michael

jfuenmayor

Well, in my setup only one machine runs W10, and it is in a subnet with no connection to the outside world. Two different switches are used for this. The machine that does connect to the net runs W7 and has automatic updates disabled.
No problems. I only use Windows for the Sim, for all other tasks, I use Linux Mint in one machine and Ubuntu in the other. No headaches.

I am with Ray on this one, I do despise them too. The worst, is the insult to our intelligence.

Shissh...

bernard S

if you running server then automatic updates not an issue right

Trevor Hale

Bernard, Only if you are setup on a domain and using the pro (Enterprise) Versions..
Then you can install WSUS and pick and choose the updates you want to install or none, also domain connected machines can have updates off by Group Policy.
Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

bernard S

xplanematt

Just a PSA (and I suspect most of us tech-savvy sim types are already aware of this) you can stop M$'s update shenanigans by simply disabling the Windows Update "service" (run services.msc). I wouldn't put it past M$ to "helpfully" re-enable this remotely (the EULA allows as much, and more), but so far I've not seen this happen on the handful of my customers' machines that I've disabled updates on.

Matt

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate