Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 01:31:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
577 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 582
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 577
Total: 577

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Overhead: Where to mount interface cards?

Started by helloo, April 23, 2019, 07:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

helloo

I have an FDS overhead.  Where should the IBL boards and FDS SYS1 board be mounted?  Thanks. 

Jon Boe

I put them in the overhead to keep the wiring short.
B737 MAX.  FDS DSDT.  205 degree U Screen, 3-projector system with P3D V4.5.  Sim-Avionics software.

helloo

Quote from: Jon Boe on April 23, 2019, 07:53:32 AM
I put them in the overhead to keep the wiring short.

That is my plan but there does not appear to be any particular place to attach them to.  Did you have to make your own mount to attached the boards to and then place in the overhead?  Any pics?

I do not have my cockpit shell yet so the overhead is just attached to a wood frame I made to hold it vertically while I wire it up.

jackpilot

Go and check with FDS (short Hop)
Seeing it in the flesh is better than any description.
The space between OVH and shell is limited on the 73.
I personally installed the SYS1 outside on top of the shell protected by a box.
Easy access and leaves room for other cards (relay) and wiring.
If you choose to keep it inside, you may also attach it under the shell ceiling with simple stand-offs.

Jack

bernard S

my 2 cents  i think you thinking  in single problems may I suggest think at end game for a solution and have x1 central.location for everything get yourself a server rack   from middle Atlantic products ..part number WR_37-32    roughly 1800 bucks put all your cards power supplies etc on quick dis connects everything in one central place .. you will thank me later for this tid bit cost of entry some may consider high   ease of maintence and use   priceless

jskibo

Quote from: bernard S on April 24, 2019, 05:45:11 AM
my 2 cents  i think you thinking  in single problems may I suggest think at end game for a solution and have x1 central.location for everything get yourself a server rack   from middle Atlantic products ..part number WR_37-32    roughly 1800 bucks put all your cards power supplies etc on quick dis connects everything in one central place .. you will thank me later for this tid bit cost of entry some may consider high   ease of maintence and use   priceless

If you go that route, look on craigslist and the Home Theater forums.  Got mine for $400 when I was building the last home theater.  It barely fit in an Acura MDX.
Less than 4 years to retirement......

bernard S

you miss the point of this one   this server racknis not fixed position internally it pulls out and rotates .. making life easy 😁..

jskibo

Yeah exactly what I used as it was mounted under the stairs
Less than 4 years to retirement......

blueskydriver

If you don't need the pull and rotate model, go to  Public Surplus com. They have all kinds of them and go for $1 each up to ? I got 10 of them for $100 total... :idiot:

John

PS That pull and rotate model is awesome though!
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

helloo

Thanks for the input. 

Aurora is Aurora, Colorado.  Not Canada:)

jackpilot

Jack

757Simulator

Jack,

Hillary had a sale on these server racks back in 2016. We should have bought them all.  :laugh:

Mike

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate