Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 03:26:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
356 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 373
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 356
Total: 356

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Flooring Installed!

Started by Mach7, June 18, 2019, 04:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mach7

Finally installed the carpet in my pit. Was initially looking at close to 400 dollars for 60 square feet of carpet tile, as I assumed this would be the easiest to install due to the angles and curves. Purchased a 6 x 8 foot outdoor/indoor floor mat from Home Depot @ 24 dollars cdn, then made a paper template and cut to fit.

It actually turned out pretty good!

kurt-olsson

Nice!
I am also going with the black mat option for my cockpit.

helloo

Looks good.  Can you tell me about possible static electricity issues that might arise or how to mitigate it?  I also want to do carpet, but that has me hesitant. 

bernard S

black    make sure have vaccum handy 😉

Mach7

@helloo

Not too much to worry about on the inside of the sim regarding static electricity.

blueskydriver

Hey Mike,

I did carpet and the static electricity mainly came from my hands, but it would also come from my knees when wearing shorts. Anyway, I just attached a simple wire to the pedestal and from there a 3 prong outlet adapter with ground wire. The plug adapter wire will provide the grounding...as long as the actual outlet is grounded correctly.

Have you thought about the coin shaped mat that is used by some airlines? I purchased 2 rolls of this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-7-5-ft-x-17-ft-Coin-Grey-Universal-Flooring-HK70CN717SGRHD/205185022

Yes, it cost more then cheap carpet, BUT how much are your sim components worth? Carpet, static, zap, and new part! It will happen, just a matter of time. Go with the mat; I had mine delivered too my house through Home Depot.  :idiot:

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

jackpilot

Jack

bernard S

I was not aware the 73 had carpet on floors   as for mine I have honeycomb floor and carpet directly over top of that

jackpilot

Jack

blueskydriver

From what I've seen it's been the coin shaped rubber matting in both the 727 and 737, but this was in the UA and NWA planes. However, if it's carpet in the real planes, it'll need too be cleaned often...likely the same for simulators.

Frankly, whatever works for your budget is fine, just plan ahead for the static issues, drink or food spills, and if you have a pet(s). Pet hair will cling to everything because it gets statically charged from the animal itself; much like humans do...lol...dragging your feet.  :idiot:

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

jackpilot

Not trying to emulate, just my own preference... :D
Jack

Jack

navymustang

Nothing like a good old aluminum floor   :)
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

jackpilot

Carpeting is a pain to keep clean (dust, stains, shows areas of traffic after a while etc) whatever it is made of.
My 2 cents ;)

Jack

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate