Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:09:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
365 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 407
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 365
Total: 365

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

What Tablet are you using?

Started by FlyingTeacher, April 12, 2020, 03:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlyingTeacher

Hi everyone,

I was curious to know what in cabin/flightdeck tablets are you using? iPad, Android, windows?

And what do you have on it while flying? Charts, instructor station? Maybe some of you are running your vPilot chat screen? How about those of you who are live streamers? Do you run any apps or programs on the tablet to assist in the streaming?

In other words could you list your current setup tablet wise and what you are running on it on common flights.

I am looking at options since currently I'm old school paper charting while flying. I do this by choice to keep the skill alive in my head. But I'd like to have the option of the tablet. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

FlyingTeacher

n4208t

I use an iPad mini attached to my yoke and running Foreflight which gives me both my flightplan and access to needed charts.

FredK

An iPad with Navigraph (for charts) and VatSpy (for tracking).

I have iPad mounts setup in the window areas on each side.

I use SimBrief for flight planning printed out on my desktop server in the Sim room.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

bernard S

this is a good question i think.. what is being used.. and timing is excellent as i want same thing    my core software goes from sever to a touch screen (instructor station) located behind the the P1   what i want to do is slave that touch screen so i get all the functions.and programs .. not sure  if one should use a surface pro and i pad or what not and yes i would mount on sill ..so keep suggestuons answers flowing please

mickc

I use valium tablets, especially when my credit card statement comes :D :D

bernard S

now that was fn funny ...   benzodiazepine..   very effective for acute amricanexpressanightius often administered rectally 

FredK

Further on this.....

I have a mini keyboard built into my pedestal panel which is connected to a KVM switch (also built into my pedestal).  In this way I am able to communicate with each of my 6 computers (4 visuals/2 avionics) from the pilot seat including the instructor station display on the wall just behind the pilot.  Sort of bastardizes the correctness of the pedestal arrangement of course, but is a worthwhile trade-off regarding convenience!  My iPad mounts described previously are separate from this.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

bernard S

fred i too have kvm but trying to void extra cables into deck

FlyingTeacher

Quote from: FredK on April 12, 2020, 09:16:07 AMFurther on this.....

I have a mini keyboard built into my pedestal panel which is connected to a KVM switch (also built into my pedestal).  In this way I am able to communicate with each of my 6 computers (4 visuals/2 avionics) from the pilot seat including the instructor station display on the wall just behind the pilot.  Sort of bastardizes the correctness of the pedestal arrangement of course, but is a worthwhile trade-off regarding convenience!  My iPad mounts described previously are separate from this.

Fred K

Thanks for the reply Fred...what does the kvm switch display on?? In other word when you select one of the 6 computers are you seeing it on the iPad or on the simbrief computer you mentioned??

FredK

QuoteThanks for the reply Fred...what does the kvm switch display on?? In other word when you select one of the 6 computers are you seeing it on the iPad or on the simbrief computer you mentioned??

Using the KVM switch selector the single keyboard/mouse controls each of the computers on their respective displays.

Fred K

bernard S

my kvm is located in server rack allowing single point access to these puppys

i am just going to use a splitter

FlyingTeacher

Quote from: bernard S on April 13, 2020, 05:20:37 AMmy kvm is located in server rack allowing single point access to these puppys

i am just going to use a splitter

Wow great stuff

FlyingTeacher

Quote from: FredK on April 12, 2020, 06:41:39 PM
QuoteThanks for the reply Fred...what does the kvm switch display on?? In other word when you select one of the 6 computers are you seeing it on the iPad or on the simbrief computer you mentioned??

Using the KVM switch selector the single keyboard/mouse controls each of the computers on their respective displays.

Fred K

Thanks Fred

blueskydriver

Hey Guys,

I've always used iPads. One for flight following and the other for pulling Navigraph charts/internet.

Also, on the second iPad I use tightVNC to access any of the sim computers, as well as Team Viewer (which is very easy too do). Thus, even though I have a KVM Switch in the rack for the computers, I never need to get out of the sim if there are any problems. Can restart any system from these apps....

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

FlyingTeacher

Quote from: blueskydriver on April 13, 2020, 09:08:04 AMHey Guys,

I've always used iPads. One for flight following and the other for pulling Navigraph charts/internet.

Also, on the second iPad I use tightVNC to access any of the sim computers, as well as Team Viewer (which is very easy too do). Thus, even though I have a KVM Switch in the rack for the computers, I never need to get out of the sim if there are any problems. Can restart any system from these apps....

John

I was thinking VNC could work as well. Even for vpilot or Vatsim interaction. I'm going to give that method some serious thought. Since charts, moving map, instructor station etc all can be accessed through web based app on iPad. The only real thing that is PC based other than control over the sim computers is dispatch and/or vatsim functions.

FredK

Here are some pictures of the KVM switch and keyboard arrangement that is engineered into my customized pedestal. The extended rear area of the pedestal also houses a bass sub-woofer for some cockpit vibration effect.

Fred K

Pedestal Panels 046.JPG

Pedestal Panels 047.JPG

Pedestal Panels 049.JPG

Flying_Fox

Captain side: Chuwi tablet 12.1" Running Windows 10, FS-FlightControl.

FO side: RCA Cambio W101 tablet 10.1", Windows 10.

FlyingTeacher

Quote from: FredK on April 13, 2020, 06:36:51 PMHere are some pictures of the KVM switch and keyboard arrangement that is engineered into my customized pedestal. The extended rear area of the pedestal also houses a bass sub-woofer for some cockpit vibration effect.

Fred K

Pedestal Panels 046.JPG

Pedestal Panels 047.JPG

Pedestal Panels 049.JPG
Very cool setup Fred thanks for the photos

FlyingTeacher

Quote from: Flying_Fox on April 14, 2020, 12:33:37 PMCaptain side: Chuwi tablet 12.1" Running Windows 10, FS-FlightControl.

FO side: RCA Cambio W101 tablet 10.1", Windows 10.

Thank you!!

bernard S

now thats a somewhat cool set up and rather useful howe rr that being said the x3 of x4 seats and movement required would not allow me to do that .. so at end of day i am just windows tablets slaved from instructor station touch screen

bernard S

now thats a somewhat cool set up and rather useful howe rr that being said the x3 of x4 seats and movement required would not allow me to do that .. so at end of day i am just windows tablets slaved from instructor station touch screen

sagrada737

Hi Fred,

As usual, your innovation is impressive.  The photos of your Pedestal show a nice job of organizing all the goodies!

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate