Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:36:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
147 Guests, 1 User
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 174
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 147
Total: 148

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Setting up potentiometers

Started by Reco, April 12, 2020, 01:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reco

Hi All

I have hooked up all my potentiometers for my Helicopter cockpit
I am using vishay 357 pots hooked up to Leo Bodners control board

Can anyone tell me what the collective assignment should be?

Pedals are working and I have wired them to the z axis
The cylic I'm having trouble with

I have hooked them up to the z and y axis but there not behaving like they should I assigned the y axis but the stick on the screen would'nt move forward and back in a smooth movement it seem to move forward then to the side not forward and back like it should

Should I move my helicopter cyclic to the forward or back postion then adjust the pot to the same postion rather than trying to find the centre

Look forward to any tips

Cheers

Rhys

Joe Lavery

This maybe an obvious comment but have you calibrated each axis?
Did you use the windows calibration, or the FSUIPC one?

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

Reco

Hi
I used the windows calibration tool

I removed fsuipc and that seems to have fixed the issue
I set up the y axis but when I moved the pot it seemed to move both y and x axis
Maybe  in fsuipc i have messed the axis assignment up
Need to read up on how to calibrate using fsuipc

The vishay357 pots seem tricky to set up they have a centre point and if you rotate to far the axis goes to the top of bottom

sagrada737

Using an ohm meter, check to see if the potentiometer is linear and reading correct values.

Also, check that your Bodnar firmware is up to date.  It is not unusual for the Bodnar device to seem to not work correctly.  Updating the firmware usually corrects this problem.

Running a Windows check on Pot movement should show whether it is working correctly.  If this is correct, you may not need to perform a "calibration".

Also, depending on the function for the Pot, you may need to physically establish the Pot position in your device.  In the case of the helicopter Collective, you may need to install the Pot at its "center" position.   Then, in FSUIPC you will be able to set the range correctly.   Depending on its orientation (CW or CCW), you may need to check the "Reverse" box in FSUIPC.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Reco

Hi
Thanks for the reply I have all the controls working

The issue is setting up the pots correctly so they go through the range of motion

Are you using vishay357 pots or something else?

Cheers

Rhys

sagrada737

Hi Rhys,

The potentiometers that I am using are all 1 Watt, 10K values.  I use a Borns PTE Series Slider pot; aCITEC Wirewound Pot; and an ETI Systems Pot.

As a side note...  I have had some trouble with the CITEC pots.  The ETI Systems Pots are nice and smooth, with 360 degree continuous movement.  In this regard, everyone has their preference.  Just purchase a quality potentiometer and you will be fine.  I would stay away from used pots as you don't always know their history.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate