Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 02:47:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
548 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,641
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 583
  • Online ever: 831
  • (May 03, 2024, 12:39:25 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 548
Total: 548

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

6dof MP Flight Testing

Started by sagrada737, May 04, 2020, 08:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

Hello All,

I hope everyone is doing well.  Being cooped up isn't all that bad if it means being inside your Sim... :)   I think we are all ready to get out and about...

I wanted to share some of the status/progress on testing of my Sim/6dof Motion Platform.  Below are a couple of photos...   The 6dof Motion Platform is at its mid-level "active position, ready for Sim motion cues.

I have been working with a friend that is a retired 737 pilot.  He flies the Sim while I make real-time changes to the motion cue settings based on his feedback as to "what feels right" in testing ground and air flight operations.  This empirical approach for adjusting motion cue settings has proven effective.  I now have the Sim and Motion Platform flight operations sync'd, such that it has a very nice sense of Sim immersion for all the flight operations, ground taxi, take-off, turns, landing, etc..  The "tuning" of the motion cue settings will be an ongoing effort to "make it better", but if I left it alone right now, I would be quite happy with how it is behaving and the degree to which it adds to the flight Sim experience.  Also, I find no symptoms of Sim sickness when flying with the Motion Platform active -- a good sign that the motion cues are close.

I should add that the "seat mounted" ButtKicker transducers also sync nicely in concert with both the the display visuals and motion systems.

In this regard, as I mentioned before, my Sim/Motion Platform is not a Level D setup, but it does accomplish what I had in mind as a way to incrementally add immersion to the Sim flight experience.  I'll continue to test the Sim and its motion behavior, and try to improve it over time.

Right now, I am working on finishing up other systems in the Sim.  For the next couple of weeks I'll be working on converting the 737 Yokes/Control Columns and Steering Tiller for final placement in the cockpit.  Then I can finally deep-six the Microsoft joystick I have been using.

I am also installing interior panels as the wiring allows.

I decided to use three GoPro cameras in their wireless mode to record flights.  I chose the GoPro Hero 8 cameras, which have a nice set of features that I can use for the Sim, as-well-as other needs.   Installing these in the Sim will be a low priority project as time allows.  One of these days, I'll try to make a flight video of the Sim/Motion Platform in full operation.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

KyleH

Nice to see your progress on this Mike.
So...when will you be adding control loading to your flight controls? :)
Kyle

Chief Pilot
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

blueskydriver

Looks like World Flight 2020 Team USA will be at Mike's place!

Mike call Trevor, Trevor call Mike...simple right?

LOL GUYS!

John

PS YOUR SIM IS FREAKING AWESOME MIKE!
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate