Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 12:13:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
67 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,638
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 99
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 67
Total: 67

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

X-Plane software tools

Started by navymustang, March 20, 2021, 05:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

navymustang

It looks like I may need to switch after years with P3D to X-Plane for my helicopter sim, simply because of the lack of correct turbine engine modeling that is in P3D. But I have so much invested - its a hard decision. I use things such as Linda and Lua to work with LVARs.
Would anyone like to describe the tools they use in working with X-Plane DataRefs such as FlywithLua and others in order to steer me in the right direction for tool selection?
This will be a huge effort, but worth it in the end if I can get engines running correctly with my OEM hardware.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

ame

As far as I can tell they all suck, but the best place to ask is the x-plane.org forum.

When you install X-Plane you get a folder with some notes in it about how to send and receive data via UDP, and there is also a list of datarefs and commands that are current for the installed version of X-Plane.

I have experimented with this using an Ethernet shield on an Arduino, and using a Python script on a Raspberry Pi, and there are fragments of examples scattered around the web. Many people use a plugin to corral the data from X-Plane and then talk to the plugin.

Things to search for that come to mind are SASL, FlyWithLua, AirManager, and SimVim. There are others, but again, ask at the other forum.

Wendy

There is a new plugin XPLDirect which allows you to manage all datarefs and vars in XPlane, there are several examples available. I have tested and used it in different projects and most important the developer is supporting it and it is free, fast and easy to use with Arduino.
You can find it here https://www.patreon.com/curiosityworkshop
My examples are here https://www.patreon.com/FlightsimpartsEU

Regards, Wendy

navymustang

Wendy, thanks so much. By the way - I use your products in many of the professional sims I build. Thanks for all of your efforts and contributions to the flight sim community.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

Wendy

Nice to hear, thank you very much.
The shop is closed but you can always order by mail no problem.

Regards, Wendy

RayS

You'll be hard-pressed to get LUA to work with many aspects in X-Plane, especially if you are trying to use FWL and Arduinos.

There is no IPC or COM port implementation (As far as I know) in the X-Plane flavor of FLyWithLUA. I had high hopes of driving all my steppers using FWL in X-Plane but it wasn't meant to be.

As a fallback, I was going to use Mobiflight. Although I don't like middleware, it seemed to be the only solution for Steppers and X-Plane.

Mobiflight 'works', but the developer refuses to add a "Return to Zero" function in the software for steppers, instead recommending a myriad of solutions including wires to sense  where the needle is, opto-switches to assist, etc....

I'm not ripping out all my steppers to add opto-sensors when it is so much easier to run all the steppers back against the stops.

So, my search continues.

Ray Sotkiewicz

RayS

Quote from: RayS on March 23, 2021, 03:10:03 PMSo, my search continues.

I think I just found the solution right here in this thread! XPLDirect. I'll give it a go for the steppers.
Ray Sotkiewicz

ame

Quote from: RayS on March 23, 2021, 03:10:03 PMAs a fallback, I was going to use Mobiflight. Although I don't like middleware, it seemed to be the only solution for Steppers and X-Plane.

Mobiflight 'works', but the developer refuses to add a "Return to Zero" function in the software for steppers, instead recommending a myriad of solutions including wires to sense  where the needle is, opto-switches to assist, etc....

Mobiflight is open source, with an MIT licence. Add your own "return to zero" code and just use it yourself. Or re-publish it, and if you get a lot of users it will validate the need for that feature.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate