Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:08:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
119 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 148
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 119
Total: 119

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Monitor -TV Resolutions.

Started by Joe Lavery, December 23, 2019, 12:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Lavery

Hi All,

I'm finally getting round to using the three TV's I bought a year ago for the PIT.
I know a few of you have a similar setup, can you tell me what resolution you set for the three displays?
I assume they're run as an extended desktop? Or do you give them individual windows?

For the time being I'm going to use P3Dv4 but that may change by the time the PIT is finished.
Thanks
Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

Joe Lavery

Quote from: Joe Lavery on December 23, 2019, 12:32:54 PMHi All,

I'm finally getting round to using the three TV's I bought a year ago for the PIT.
I know a few of you have a similar setup, can you tell me what resolution you set for the three displays?
I assume they're run as an extended desktop? Or do you give them individual windows?

For the time being I'm going to use P3Dv4 but that may change by the time the PIT is finished.
Thanks
Joe.

:'(  Anyone have some help for me? PLEEZZZZ!

Joe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

navymustang

If your video card can support high resolution, run them at their maximum. I use three separate windows and I use the Excel spreadsheet program that on the internet to calculate the window parameters.
My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

Joe Lavery

Thanks Navymustang.

The TVs are 4K and my video card is a GTX 1080Ti, so I guess it will support the TVs but I'm not sure it will handle 4K x 3.
What's the site for the spreadsheet program you mentioned.

FredK

Quote from: Joe Lavery on December 27, 2019, 10:56:54 AMThe TVs are 4K and my video card is a GTX 1080Ti, so I guess it will support the TVs but I'm not sure it will handle 4K x 3.

Practically speaking, 4K x 3 simply is not possible on a single GPU (or even 2 GPUs on a single computer).  You would have to have all quality sliders set to the absolute minimum which defeats the purpose of having a 4K resolution of course.

You will need a multi-channel (multi-computer) setup if you want to drive multiple 4K monitors.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

navymustang

My 737-800 full-scale cockpit has been sold. Now onto my full-size military helicopter project. An AOPA member and LifeTime member of National Association of Flight Instructors. Please note that I am a self-employed professional cockpit builder that provides consulting to defense contractors and civilian schools and airlines.

Joe Lavery

Quote from: FredK on December 27, 2019, 01:21:20 PM
Quote from: Joe Lavery on December 27, 2019, 10:56:54 AMThe TVs are 4K and my video card is a GTX 1080Ti, so I guess it will support the TVs but I'm not sure it will handle 4K x 3.

Practically speaking, 4K x 3 simply is not possible on a single GPU (or even 2 GPUs on a single computer).  You would have to have all quality sliders set to the absolute minimum which defeats the purpose of having a 4K resolution of course.

You will need a multi-channel (multi-computer) setup if you want to drive multiple 4K monitors.

Fred K

Fred, I guessed it would not be possible in to run in 4K but I wondered if it would run three TV's from the single GPU and at what resolution.

Navymustang, I still have an account, so I'll have a look at it.

Thanks both.

FredK

Quote from: Joe Lavery on December 28, 2019, 11:42:42 PMFred, I guessed it would not be possible in to run in 4K but I wondered if it would run three TV's from the single GPU and at what resolution.

Joe.....That question is best answered by others here who are set up that way.

I run a multiple computer setup (WideView) utilizing Optoma Darbee HD projectors (not 4K).  It is a bear to maintain, but IMO provides the best multi-projector results, particularly if you are heavy on add-on airport scenery, etc.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

Joe Lavery

Fred, I absolutely agree with you projectors do provide the best overall experience, but sadly here in the UK most of us are limited with space. I can only just fit the three TVs into the room I've built the deck in.
We have to go through all sorts of hoops here to get planning permission for outbuildings or extensions. In my former full time occupation I used to draw CAD plans for such developments, and have first hand experience dealing with the bureaucracy involved.
So I settled for a small room that just fits the deck and turned my CAD skills into designing stuff for the flight deck.

My only advantage I get is that working for the magazine, I also get to see all the latest scenery and aircraft for all platforms, and get paid for reviewing them. It a hard life but someone has to do it.   ;)

Thanks for your input as usual.

757Simulator

Joe,

Stay with monitors or TV's. Projection in a multi-million dollar simulator is light years away from what our friends are seeing on their "projection" setups. Been there. Done that. You wont deal with pixel degradation, washout, and many other issues that come with builder "affordable" projectors.

Michael

Joe Lavery

Michael,

As I mentioned to Fred I don't have the luxury of a choice, although I do appreciate what you're saying. I've seen a projection setup and it was certainly impressive, but the mage clarity wasn't anything to write home about.
Having said that I believe the latest projectors have more power and higher resolution, which I guess would improve the image. I would like at some point to see a commercial setup to get some idea of what's ultimately possible, but the cost makes it unlikely that I will. It might also make me dissatisfied with my own setup, (when its finally finished.

The images show where I am at the moment, still lots to do.
I have a pair of FDS CDUs to go in, and a new throttle I've nearly finished. But as we all know it;s never really finished. Luckily I have a small GA system in my office that I use when I'm reviewing, so I still get t fly a bit.

Joe.

757Simulator

Joe,

You are definitively on the right track for fluid immersion. Please keep us posted.

Mike

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate