Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:57:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
147 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 165
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 147
Total: 147

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Sim-Avionics MCP/Autopilot X-Plane10 - Problem solved with new Win7Driv install.

Started by jfuenmayor, November 20, 2013, 08:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfuenmayor

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum but not to simulation and full cockpit.
Up until recently I have been running PM software with FS2004 and PMDG B737.

I decided to change to Sim-Avionics and try X-Plane 10.

My hardware includes FDS main Panel-OVHD programmed with Sim-Avionics offsets through TkWorks software. I have trying the latest Sim-Avionics version available. X-Plane runs in Win7 in an i7 quad core with 16 Gig of Ram.

The displays run in another Win7 quadcore with two video cards, this one with 32 Gig. This machine also runs MCP with CPFlight MCP. All connected via XPUIPC ( latest version ). The Sim-Avionics server runs in an XP machine (Dual core ) along with TkWorks software.

The logic works. The problem is with the Autopilot. I have checked the X Plane box to be used with it and I am using the Xplane.CFG file with some modifications suggested by James price. I am using the generic b737 IOSYS.CFG file even though I have tried the FSX one as well.

Now the problem. Every time I engage CMD it  does so for a fraction of a second and then the airplane gets uncontrollable, usually a severe roll to the right. This requires manual A/P disengage and manual recovery that is sometime possible and sometimes not. It is quite a thrill actually to recover from a spin :). So far it has been frustrating and taken quite a few hours of tinkering to no avail.

Other few nuisances such not been able to engage the starter switches to start the engines ( I have used the JP suggestion of using ELEC starter etc ) and  to turn off the A/C packs etc. I have checked the flight controls as suggested by Mr. Cos etc. I'm afraid I'm at a dead end here.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

rhysb

My first suggestion as you have PM is to try your hardware with PM to see if you have the same issue if so then it is an issue with simA if the same happens then it must be hardware.

Is your simA MCP program running on the xplane server machine?

Rhys b
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

XOrionFE

I assume you are using the x737 as your flight model?   Have you deleted the plugin for it?  You must delete the plugin once installed and anytime you upgrade it.  The plugin will interfere with Sim-A.   Second, if when you engage autopilot look at your PFD and see if CWS is engaging.   That was happening to me for some unknown reason on the most recent versions of Sim-A.  Mark had me change the CWS null zone to I believe 16383 or something like that which effectively bypasses it.  If CWS engages then I was getting the nasty roll you describe.

Hope that helps,
Scott

jfuenmayor

Thanks Rhys and Scott. Well my MCP is not running in the Sim-A Server machine. I did start with PMIOSYS.CGF file and PM offsets with version 1.3 and it seemed to work with certain caveats. For example, I was able to turn on the engines which I cannot with the current version 1.39, however I can still run it with the engines on for now.  I dropped PM and reprogrammed the OVH with Sim_A offsets. The logic works with some issues but it does.

Now, I have noticed that the CWS sometimes lights on in the PFD, perhaps that may be the problem. I will try changing the null zone to the value you just said.

Other thing that is not very clear in the documentation is what flight controls must be checked or unchecked. For example, in the latest version ( 1.39 ) which I am running, its says that the elevator and aileron must be controlled by FSUIPC, so I unchecked those boxes.

thanks.

Joaquin.

BTW I am in Florida US.

jfuenmayor

OK.

John, changing the CSW null value did the trick. I would have never guessed that.
I must however report that,even though I had noticed this behavior before, suddenly the VSI needle jumps upward to 40000 ft plus and becomes red, then the AP may act erratically, this happens especially during climb. Have any of you noticed something like that?. I am using TCP instead of UDP and running X Plane-10 32 bit instead of 64 bit in my Win7 64 bit machine, I seem to get better frame rates this way (this with 16 Gigs of RAM).
Anyhow, at least I could fly a full ILS tonight with the A/P and A/T but I think it needs tuning.

Thanks a lot to all of you for your invaluable help.

PS: Now I have to work on getting the engines to start. I have used James Price's suggestions altering the xB737 model with PlaneMaker such as using elec start instead of air and altering the fuel intro time. It worked with PM offsets and version 1.3 when I tested the software but not with 1.39. Neither do the lighting system.

jfuenmayor

Ok guys.

More bad news with X-Plane 10.20 and Sim-Avionics 1.39.
The joy of that successful approach was short lived.
The xB737 plugin has always been deleted, so you know.

The A/P continues to act and is pretty much unusable. It seems stable
but then it rolls either to the right or left even with CWS Null zone set to
16383. I have noticed that the turning cue in the ND also suddenly has jerky and uncommanded turns, the VSI needle suddenly moves up OR down to 40000 + fpm and the VSI bar turns red, while the altimeter seems to work normally ( but it doesn't, the indicated altitude changes when the VSI needle returns to normal ), all this WITHOUT the A/P engaged.

I have fixed the ability to turn on the engines, it had to do with badly programmed fuel levers and the A/C packs switches. Flight Illusion gauges, flaps etc. working.

I have optimized  the network settings. I suspect this has to do more with XPUIPC than anything else. I have spent quite a few hours this weekend and
I am about to throw the towel.

Do any of you have a magic wand?.

Any further suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

XOrionFE

I wish I could suggest more.   I never had all these issues and Sim-A was pretty solid on 1.39 with XP and XPUIPC.    Did you cread a new config and try that?   Also, i dont thing you want any controls going through Sim-A...nothing checked...

jfuenmayor

Thanks Orion.

Do you have a copy of your config file?
When you talk about the controls, you mean to uncheck the boxes for all the
controls in the flight control menus?
I wish Simavionics had better documentation.

There must be something wrong in my config or something.
What A/P breakaway figure do you use. I set the CWS breakaway to 16383.

I will try again this long weekend ( Thanksgiving in the US ).

To me X-Plane is leap and bounds above FSX - Most people stay with
FSX because of legacy issues, old scenery  etc. I wish FDS would come
with a model of their own like they did with FSX for X Plane, just the bare bones.

Anyhow, thanks for your help.

XOrionFE

You dont need my config.  All you do is go into the menus and tell sim-a to generate new config files and you will then have the latest fresh config for x-plane.  As stated earlier my cws null zone value is 16383 as I am the one who mentioned to to try this.   Third, FDS doesnt need to creat a flight model as the x737 works just fine.  Just install it then tweak the settings for engine parameters in Planemaker and make sure to completely delete the plugin for it.  All should work quite well.

Scott

jfuenmayor

Thanks Scott.

I finally solved the problem. it took a new computer and a fresh install of Windows 7. No more acting of the A/P. I believe the problem was that it was a dual boot machine running Linux on the side. It seems that that caused a lot of headaches.

Also, a new Nvidia card screwed things up  big time with its driver with no improvement in performance. I found out that the best performance for the price is an MSI GT 620 with  with 4 Gigs on board. Less than US$100,00.
A lot of work but it was worth the learning.

Joaquin

jfuenmayor

Quote from: jfuenmayor on December 02, 2013, 04:52:55 AM
Thanks Scott.

I finally solved the problem. it took a new computer and a fresh install of Windows 7. No more acting of the A/P. I believe the problem was that it was a dual boot machine running Linux on the side. It seems that that caused a lot of headaches.

Also, a new Nvidia card screwed things up  big time with its driver with no improvement in performance. I found out that the best performance for the price is an MSI GT 620 with  with 4 Gigs on board. Less than US$100,00.
A lot of work but it was worth the learning.

Joaquin
As posted earlier, the A/P problem was solved with a fresh installation of Windows 7 and drivers. The A/P now works flawlessly in X plane 10

XOrionFE

Excellent

Glad to hear you got it working.

Post a video if you can.. Would be nice to see another x-plane setup!

Scott

jfuenmayor

Ok. I'll post a video. My rig has no shell and only one projector . Everything else is there. I am still ironing out several issues, for example, I cannot get the pushback to work. I don't know if any  of you use any  third party software for that purpose.

Also, I cannot get the Flight Illusion flap gage to accurately represent the flap position. The flap indicator in the Sim-Avionics software displays the positions right.

My A/C light does not extinguish in the sixpack even though the packs are on, isolation valve is in auto and the engine bleeds are on and the APU bleed off. I do notice that the Zone temp lights are on but I have not wired the switches for that function.
I am currently testing the sim in a flight from KBOS to KMIA,  The altitude seems a bit jerky at FL320 and it chases it up and down about 200 feet.

Despite all this, I love X plane. I am waiting for the TQ from Revolution. It is fully motorized which will substitute my old Simparts one, working with Phidgets and Fs2Phidgets. It has always been a bit erratic.

Regards
Joachim

Jetcos

Did you set the Flap Gauge in the FI Software?

Does the OH Gui match what you have on the hardware OH? I would make sure the assignments are correct.
Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

jfuenmayor

The OVH is pretty much done but I'll review it. The
FI Flap setting hummm, nope. I'll look into how to set it up.
I don't recall, I had it set up for PM about 4 years ago.
Back to square one.

Thanks

Jetcos

Like several things in simming, you set it up once and never touch it again.

Then...."how did I do that 4 years ago?"

Good luck, it is not that hard (trying to remember himself) you can set the numbers in the FI software by watching the needle move.
Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

jfuenmayor

I did set it and now it works well. Now entertained in  the A/P fine tuning and a few
details like the Air Cond light in the sixpack.

I also have an old TQ from Simparts with servos and phidgets. Still unlucky to
get them working. I had the offsets from PM and I have changed them to the offsets recommended in the Forum, for using them in the FSUIPIC file from the Sever, including the TOGA.

I'll review it today also. I use FS2Phidgets. I'll be changing it for a Revolution USB unit, hopefully in 3-4 weeks. In the meantime I would like to activate the A/P Disconnect switch in my PFC Yoke, I find no way to set the offsets in XPUIPC or X Plane itself. Has anybody done that?. I have it working in FSX via FSUIPC.

J

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate