Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:11:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
113 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 113
Total: 113

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

What have you done for your simulator today?

Started by blueskydriver, January 14, 2018, 04:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bernard S

here's da pic

FredK

Errr...the fine print on the sign in the photograph you took prohibits taking photographs......as directed by the facility commander thereof.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

bernard S

well Mr Fred  I  am the M.F.W.I.C    so all is golden ;-)

Jason L

Pedestal work this weekend.  Not as much progress as I had hoped because I forgot to order some 40pin IDC connectors.  Everything is wired and almost ready to interface to the OC boards.  Hopefully during this next week it'll get done.  Converted my OC PNP panels to IDC so that they could all be dimmable together.  Really happy with how it has turned out so far.  Also waiting on my ACARS printer to show up from china.
Most panels are OC, SELCAL is Sismo, ACP's are converted OEM, Printer Panel is from Hispa.

Jason L

It's alive!  Finished the wiring, now to get it all configured for prosim.  It's fun to see this big chunk coming to life.

Bob Reed

Hello fellow builders! Long time no hear.... I have started planning the new sim.. More to come..

Joe Lavery

Hiya Bob, nice to hear from you, where have you been hiding?  8)

Joe
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

Journalist - writer for  PC Pilot Magazine

jackpilot

Jack

blueskydriver

Yep, now we know why you've been flying below the radar Bob...new sim coming up  ;D

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

bernard S

added aircraft air conditioning unit

MistyBlue

Quote from: bernard S on February 02, 2022, 06:19:22 AMadded aircraft air conditioning unit

Well done.  The project is coming along really nicely!

sagrada737

Hey Bob...  Good to hear you are planning a new Sim.  Can't wait to see what you are doing.

Bernard -- Good to hear you are adding in air conditioning.  With the wiring complexity you have going on in that T-38, be sure to consider Fire/Smoke Control, and most important -- simple and quick egress from the cockpit -- especially if wiring overloads and smoke fills the cockpit!   

I have seen this in person watching a friend build his Turbine Legend.  While sitting in the cockpit, with the canopy closed, he had a wiring short, and in about 2 - 3 seconds, the cockpit filled entirely filled with toxic smoke.  Fortunately, the Canopy was not locked in position, and he was able to quickly get out of the aircraft.   Something to seriously think about...

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

sagrada737

Hello All,

When it comes to Sim Immersion, Sound is one of the key components in our Sim systems.  In my Sim setup, I have been using a Bose mini-sound bar driven by a C-Media USB sound module.  The sound bar was placed up high up on the Nose Section, behind the seats.   For the money, this Bose sound bar proved to produce some nice sound, including some respectable Bass sounds.  I considered this a temporary sound solution.

When we had our Sim get-together this last weekend, the guys were especially interested in what I had done with the Sound System.   The sound was okay, but clearly needed some improvements.  Taking their constructive suggestions to heart, I set about changing my Sound System over to a 5.1 Surround setup.

Fortunately, I had a Sony Home Theater Receiver/Amp that I was not using, including a nice 15" Woofer sitting unused, in addition to some small shelf speakers.  Gathering all this together, I had the makings of a nice surround sound setup.

I first tried to use the RealTech Audio Driver present in my existing Sim Computer, using the Optical interface to the AMP.  Even with a Driver Update, the RealTech Driver had serious issues and caused erratic behavior with my P3D system making it unflyable.

I had previously ordered a USB Sound Capture module from Creative, model X4.  The X4 has a lot of connection flexibility, so I thought it a good choice.  Giving up on RealTech, I installed the X4 audio module, and it worked correctly using its Optical connection to the Sony AMP.  Speaker Levels are adjusted and set within the Sony AMP.

I first tested this setup on the floor beside the Sim.  The sound it produced was quite amazing.  I am now installing the Speakers/Sub Woofer in the cockpit.  The Front and Center speakers will be installed behind the MIP, and the Rear speakers and SubWoofer will be installed within the AFT Circuit Breaker Panel areas.

Another addition to my Sim setup, is the addition of a video Monitoring system to show/hear cockpit activity during a Sim flight.  The video comes from a GOPRO 8 mounted up behind the pilots.  This gives the classic view of cockpit activity.  This is also connected to the cockpit Intercom so pilot communications can be heard as well.  The video module I am using is a HDMI - CAT5e - HDMI link, which provided a local HDMI output for a monitor near the Sim; and an HDMI connection to a remote monitor (up to 160 feet away) in a room near to my Sim.  Since my Sim is fully enclosed, this will allow folks nearby to view and hear what is going on in he cockpit.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

blueskydriver

Hey Mike,

Glad to hear your sound system is improving and that it's out great now.

On a different note, I'm just curious as to how you're getting into the sim yet. Last time you mention climbing a ladder and from the recent pics it looks the same.

So, I am thinking out loud and have this idea for you, what if you got/built a deck platform with steps and/or ramp (like used aluminum wheelchair ramp) that was within a minimum distance to not interfere with the sim while in operation. Then, you have a section of the ramp that would raise and lower remotely when loading/unloading into the sim?

The best idea I have for that are Gate Openers like those from Tractor Supply or other type store. They can move a lot of weight per se, and come ready to go, a turn-key setup with wireless remote. Use the gate opener too lift/lower the ramp, while also having a lip for the ramp to align up with on the sim, while in load mode.
It'd be something similar to a Level D sim, but without the price tag....

John
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

sagrada737

Hello John,

Thanks for your comments...   I do have in mind to construct some kind of stair/platform for getting into the Sim.  When the Sim Motion Platform is in its "Hold Position", it is 32 inches above the ground.  Having stairs will make it a lot easier getting in and out of the Sim.

If I had more room, some kind of Ramp might be nice, but due to space considerations, I had to scrap that idea.  By the way...  How mobile are you these days?

Mike

blueskydriver

Hey Mike,

Yep, either will work. If the sim is at 32 inches when in the hold position I'll have no probably scooting from my wheelchair into it. I'm pretty good at doing the hands and booty scoot thing since my upper body strength is great...that's how I get into mine.  ;D

John

blueskydriver

How about a rolling warehouse ladder? We have a 10' high one to get up to a storage loft, but a short one would be great for your sim....

John

Bob Reed

Quote from: Joe Lavery on January 30, 2022, 11:58:21 PMHiya Bob, nice to hear from you, where have you been hiding?  8)

Joe

Not really hiding. Bought a house had lots to do and now I am working in my attic which is all my space but just not willing to give up enough rom for the 73 sooooooo

blueskydriver

Sooooooo Bob, what are you switching too? You need to let the cat out of the bag  :laugh:

Oh yeah, pics pics pics and more pics! Let's see your new eye in the sky attic space....

John

Bob Reed

blueskydriver

Going back to your tried and true King Air friend...awesome!

John

Jason L

Out with the old and in with the new...Old panels for overhead have found a new home and my new set that will fit into my simulator frame are on their way along with a new set of annunciators.  Panels and gauges from Sismo and Annunciators from PCFlights. All interfaced with a FDS-SYS card.  Next week is going to be fun!!

bernard S

prepping for new paint scheme

sagrada737

Hey Bob,

Good to hear you are going for the King Air 350...   What version/panel layout?

Hello Jason,

Best wishes with you new Overhead configuration.  How are you interfacing the FDS Sys-Card?

Hello Bernard,

There's oso much prep work in repainting...   A labor of love!  Your aircraft is going to look amazing when completed!

Mike

Jason L

I got my FDS cards before they stopped making them so it's a USB one direct into prosim.  Its the big one, I think the SYS-1 so it is supposed to have enough connections to handle the entire overhead.

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate