Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:34:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
122 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 132
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 122
Total: 122

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Cockpit Builders Other Hobbies...past or present?

Started by blueskydriver, October 21, 2012, 06:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueskydriver

Hey Everyone,

This is a post about other hobbies you had prior to cockpit building or other hobbies that you still have now. You must post a few pics of your hobby (ies) to show us. It would be better to see you in the pic with, near or doing the hobby, and it can be as far back as you like.

The whole point is to show something other then your cockpit. Now don't be shy or bashful, even if you played with dolls it counts. If any guy over 40 says they didn't play with the GI Joe Dolls, you're lying! So, tell the truth...lol...really, just have fun with this, as it's all for a good time.

John

Ps I will post my pics tomorrow as I have to scan some photos first.
| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

XOrionFE

Per John's suggestion I am sharing my other main hobby...drumming.    I played a snare drum back in grade school in the band for about two years then gave it up. My brother, 3 yrs older than I, took the snare drum at the time and he became the rock drummer in the family and has played in all sorts of local bands throughout the past 25 or so years.   About 3 years ago my wife decided to get into voice acting and voice over work which she eventually would like to make a home business out of.  I visited a local music store to get some basic recording gear for her and while at the store I couldn't help grabbing a pair of sticks and playing some old patterns on a tap pad that was on the counter.   Well, I grabbed the sticks and tap pad and brought them home and began playing various drum rudiments during that summer while hanging out on the patio etc.   I finally decided after about 6 months of that to get an electronic kit and start taking lessons.   Now fast forward two years and like all hobbies for me I took it to insane levels considering my current stage but nonethelessless I am having a ball with it and kids love it as well.   The first three pictures below are of my kits, acoustic and electronic.  The acoustic is a DW Performance Series kit in Black Mirra finish with Sabian Paragon Cymbals.   It is setup as almost identical to Rush drummer Neil Peart's current kit.   The last picture is me sitting behind Neil Peart's actual 1974 "Chromey" kit used to record two of Rush's hit albums of the time, "Fly By Night" and "2112".  I was lucky to get to see this kit and actually play on it a couple months ago when Rush was in town doing their latest album tour Clockwork Angels.    I enjoy playing along to Rush tracks and also love Led Zepplin (John Bonham) and The Police (Stewart Copeland).   I have a long long way to go in my drumming and there is no pressure as I am not in any band right now.   Just me and my headphones.    At age 45 I figure I have a good 20 years yet hopefully to enjoy it and improve.

Scott

Nat Crea

What a Kit Scott!!! Fantastic.

I played guitar and bass all of my "other life" in bands till the bloody 737 ended that a few years ago :o

Now I use my bass amp to drive the butt-kickers..LOL.

Nat

Tom_G_2010

Uhhmmm....  I'm into way too many other things.  That may be part of why my pit build is going so slow.
Here are four  that I have pic's of.

Recumbent Cycling

Audio Engineering (both studio and live)

Camping

Hiking

Others that I lack pictures of include: wood working, shooting.  I also do a bit of database and app development for a charity, and I'm active at church.

Oh, I almost forgot, for a brief time I dabbled in modeling, as an amateur clothing model  ::)
This is a pic of me modeling a hat.  For some reason this hobby is just not working out  :-\  :o
PC: Intel Core i5 @ 2.8GHz, 6Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, ATI Radeon HD5450
SIM:FSX w/Aclrtn Pk, FSUIPC4, ASE sp3, Megascenery Earth & X

fordgt40

As is apparent from my User Name, I have always had an interest in the Ford GT40 racing car. Back in 1992, as a prize for giving up smoking (all of two weeks) I decided to build a replica of the GT40. It took a few years and when finally sold back in 2007, it provided the funds for the next project - the Flight Sim.

I do not have any photos of me with the car, other than a picture of carrying out some maintenance, which clearly illustrates the access problems.  :)

And I did give up smoking  :) :)

David

Maurice

Quote from: fordgt40 on October 23, 2012, 04:25:55 AM

I do not have any photos of me with the car, other than a picture of carrying out some maintenance, which clearly illustrates the access problems.  :)

And I did give up smoking  :) :)

David

What I want to know is how did you ever got out of that position. Or are you still there? ;D

Beautiful machine though!.

Maurice
Gravenhurst, Ontario - Canada

rhysb

Funny that there seems to be a pattern of music! Likewise I was in a band as well as a singer/guitarist & frontman (many many years ago now and thankfully pictures of this will stay there!) Can play a bit of drums too!

Main Hobby outside of the Cockpit and Sim is...

http://youtu.be/C9F_UuJx9lg
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

fordgt40

"What I want to know is how did you ever got out of that position. Or are you still there? ;D

Beautiful machine though!.

Maurice"

It took a lot of grease and careful manipulation by Mrs GT40 to help me get out. :) :) :) :)

David

XOrionFE

Quote from: rhysb on October 23, 2012, 09:24:50 AM
Funny that there seems to be a pattern of music! Likewise I was in a band as well as a singer/guitarist & frontman (many many years ago now and thankfully pictures of this will stay there!) Can play a bit of drums too!

Main Hobby outside of the Cockpit and Sim is...

http://youtu.be/C9F_UuJx9lg

Uh, ummmm,  ok, I confess.....I like golfing as well :-)

However,  your swing is far superior than mine.   I only get out about 5-8 times a year and I pretty much suck.   So I will keep my main focus on the drums and cockpit building :-).    If your ever in the states and in Chicago area we can do a round during the day followed by a nice evening of simming!

Scott

rhysb

Scott,

I may have to take you up on that offer! :)

I almost came out this year for the Ryder cup!
One wheel landings, tail scrapes... just doing my best!!
737 classic sim. Xplane 10 64bit on 3 i5 pc's. FDS IBL overhead, FDS CDU's & CCU's, Simvionics Panels, CP Flight MCP/EFIS, engravity & homemade MIP, prosim737, project magenta, GLB interior panels.

MLeavy737

Hi all,
  I know i read this post but i forgot to add anything to it :)

Well heres a few of my hobbies outside of flying.. One of which is riding Motocross. Its a terrible hobby i keep trying to get rid of but i just cant. Nothing safe about it and the last thing i need with a family and career  is to break some bones! Problem is that it is just way too much FUN!! As some may know its a total mind cleaner. You think of nothing else on a bike except the next 50 feet in front of you. You also get to do some flying at time as well! So i guess when im not flying, I like to fly :) My latest ride is a High compression YZ450F with a bunch of mods.. Definately need to hold on!

Other hobby is playing guitar. Been playing for a good 20 years now. Nothing all that serious. Was in a few fun bands back in the day however now with a family and a crazy schedule i just play for fun. I stopped playing 6 strings a few years ago and went to 7 string guitars. I like heavier music and getting that low B with a 7 string is a must!

Ok back to simming :)

Mike L
The 737 800/900... Fastest airplane with the gear down!

Nick1150

As many fellows here in Greece, I love boating, sea and fishing of all kinds... I have to be honest here  ;D My true and bigger love and thus hobby is first boating and then flying with my sim. I tend to say to say " I live in Athens, but my mind is first of all at the sea and then on the air".

My two boats, the big one is a 9meter RIB used for near Athens islands hopping, and the small one is a 4.7meter ordinary Greek style fishing boat moored outside Athens in a place called Itea, we usualy go for weekend family escapes.

Nick

Boeing 737 NG home cockpit builder in Athens, Greece

Jetcos

Not a guitar guy but thought I would throw in my hobby.

Airplane spotting.

This is where I went this year (2012) and what I logged (number wise). I don't write down every airplane I see if I can check my database first. Saves typing in all the ones I have seen previously. Been spotting since 1992 and have seen 28,526 aircraft. I have met many people while spotting and have become friends with quite a few.

Airports Visited in 2012

Canada

YYZ - Toronto International Airport (Toronto, ON Lester B. Pearson International Airport)
YKZ - Toronto, ON [Buttonville Airfield], Canada
YZD - Toronto, ON [Downsview Airport], Canada
YUL - Dorval International Airport (Montreal, QC , Dorval International Airport)
YHU - Montreal, QC [St.-Hubert Airport], Canada
YPQ - Peterborough, ON [Peterborough Airport], Canada
YTR - Trenton, ON [Trenton Airport], Canada
YVR - Vancouver, BC [Vancouver International Airport], Canada

International

IST - Istanbul ([Ataturk/Yesilkov International Airport]) Turkey
DOH - Doha, Qatar
LHR - London Heathrow (London Heathrow) UK
ZRH - Zurich (Zurich-Kloten) Switzerland
BRU - Brussels ((Bruxelles) [National/Zaventem]) Belgium
OST - Ostend (Ostend) Belgium
STL - St. Louis International Airport (Lambert-St. Louis International Airport, St. Louis, MO)
CDG - Paris Charles de Gaulle (Charles de Gaulle) France
SXB - Strasbourg ([Entzheim]) France
RUH - Riyadh ([King Khalid Airport]) Saudi Arabia
KWI - Kuwait, Kuwait
LAX - Los Angeles International Airport (Los Angeles, CA [Los Angeles International Airport])
SAN - San Diego, CA [San Diego International Airport-Lindbergh Field]
CVN74 - USS JOHN C. STENNIS ***Onboard Aircraft Carrier
NZY - San Diego, CA [North Island Naval Air Station (Halsey Field)]
LAS - Las Vegas, NV ([McCarran International Airport])
FRA - Frankfurt (Rhein-Main) Germany
DXB - Dubai, UAE
AKL - Auckland [International] New Zealand
BNE - Brisbane [International] Australia
CUD - Caloundra, Queensland, Australia

YYZOTT - Toronto Over The Top

Summary

Total Logged: 2151, Frames Made: 1288, Scrapes Made: 145, Dropped: 718

Any other "spotters" out there?

Steve Cos
Flightdeck Solutions, Newmarket Ontario,Canada
Special Projects and Technical Support

Maurice

Quote from: Jetcos on December 30, 2012, 05:56:29 PM

Total Logged: 2151, Frames Made: 1288, Scrapes Made: 145, Dropped: 718

Any other "spotters" out there?

Yep...my wife can 'spot' dust bunnies at 30 ft.  ;D

No wonder you never get anything done... you're having way too much fun watching airplanes in strange lands instead of actually working. Does Peter know that? :)

Maurice

jskibo

Less than 4 years to retirement......

Maurice

Quote from: jskibo on January 02, 2013, 08:16:32 AM
Flying.......I know, that's shocking :)

Get out of here! This is not a flying forum...this is a cockpit building forum where people are perpetually building and never flying  ;D

Maurice

jskibo

But Maurice, you're done building remember :)

I need to get mine to a flying state again to keep the enthusiasm to build up.  SOme goodies coming from Scott and FDS should help that for now.

On the real world side, I've been fling my butt off and stand about 15 hours from taking my commercial checkride.....Finally!

Maurice

Quote from: jskibo on January 02, 2013, 09:24:07 AM
But Maurice, you're done building remember :)

Yep, I just stick around to mock the insanity of some builders or of some people who go flying over the mountains at night in IFR conditions in a single engine plane  ;D

Maurice

jskibo

Hey I would take a twin but the FAA says I'm not licensed for that yet :)  18.1 hours of Actual IFR time in 2 days is a bit of a confidence builder.

Now I can get back to the pushbutton flying in my garage :)

ENKB

Rob-PA7RM

Nice, Hamradio: PA7RM
But not very active. Experimenting with D-Star and in the summer a FB23 for HF.

Rob
www.pa7rm.nl
www.simflight.nl
Dutch Flightsim news @

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate