Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:03:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
104 Guests, 0 Users
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,639
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 104
Total: 104

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Avidyne DFC90 Progress

Started by RayS, February 25, 2016, 10:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayS

Although based on the Teensy microcontroller, I think the Arduino forum is close enough.

Ray Sotkiewicz

Ridgenj

Ray, very nice work and fast progress. I think Teensy and Arduino provide a good alternative for wiring  OEM conversions.
You might have done it in the past bit can you share where you saw the advantages for Teensie. (use some in my Kossel  Delta printer )

Today we have at least three different and viable alternatives for the use of the Arduino  Mega in XPLANE and the German program includes all three platforms and PMDG.
Rob Archer has developed  many sketches already.
I wonder why this forum is so quite since soon many are embracing Teensie  and Arduino

Cheers
Luis

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

RayS

It's interesting you would reference this as an OEM conversion. Dean & John over at Ruscool would be very happy to hear that!

I gravitated towards Teensy after introducing a friend to Arduino. We accidentally stumbled on the X-Plane libraries for Teensy while researching some issues for Arduino and X-Plane. The decision was solidified after meeting Rob at the last US Worldflight when he demo'd a 737 N1 engine gauge using Teensy.

The Teensy X-Plane libraries are a bit more mature than what I could find for Arduino. I have an Arduino in my pit, driving landing lights, fuel gauges, a flap gauge and a few other items so the Autopilot project will be my first Teensy installation.

Although the Avidyne DFC 90 has only 11 buttons and 2 rotaries, after interfacing it to a Teensy 3.1, I have only 2 output pins left over.  (It was close...)

The only thing I don't like about the Teensy (With regards to X-Plane) is being bound to a USB port, and all the quirks that come with that technology.

Ray Sotkiewicz

Ridgenj

Thanks Ray, your choice makes sense in particular since you are using x-plane. I started my pot with  P3D and have so many sceneries that it make me hesitate to migrate. You remember my post about a second cockpit plan when I complete the first one. Meanwhile I got from Nick so many OEMs  that I am pulling my old panels out. In another tread it was mentioned a new Arduino  software that acts as firmware and is good for PMDG, P3D and x-plane. www.mobiflight.com
Probably this will allow to use both Sims at the same time but since I am building a Procedure  and not a ScenerySim, x-plane is the better choice.

Ridgenj

Ray, what kind of breakout board are you using for the Teensy in the picture. Need something similar for my MCP

RayS

Ray Sotkiewicz

Ridgenj

Thanks Ray, venturing into Teensy, do you use Teensy 2.0++ too. Soldering of some of the internal pins in Teensy 3.2 can be a pain
Cheers
LUIS

RayS

Yep... Using Teensy (3.2 flavor)

Soldering the pins is a bit difficult. I use a desk magnifying glass with a worklight. Makes it a bit easier.
Ray Sotkiewicz

Ridgenj

I found a BOB for the Teensy 3.2.
Cheap over at OSH Park

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate