Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 09:23:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
75 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,640
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 96
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 75
Total: 75

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

Multiple computers for networking?

Started by AAnnillo, November 29, 2020, 03:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AAnnillo

Hello, all!

I'm no where close to beginning construction and am thinking down-the-road.

Is it possible to have two identical computers networked for flight sim usage?

I'm thinking one for scenery only (VERY  intensive photorealistic/mesh-type as well as airport and city add-ons, which I'm really enjoying) and the other for the 'brains' of the sim...actual aircraft operations.

My thought is that I do not want to be restricted as to how much memory I'm burning through on a single computer which would limit what I can load.

Is this possible and if so, what would I need to know in order to accomplish this?

Your opinions and recommendations are truly appreciated.

Anthony

blueskydriver

| FSX | FDS-MIP OVRHD SYS CARDS FC1| PM | PMDG 737-700 | UTX | GEX | UT7 | ASE | REX2 | AES | TSR | IS | TOPCAT | AvilaSoft EFB | OC CARDS & OVRHD GAUGES| SIMKITS | SW 3D Lights | FS2CREW2010 | FSXPassengers | Flight1 AE | MATROX TH2GO-D | NTHUSIM | 3-Mits EW230Ust Proj |

FredK

Anthony

The answer to this is....flat out "No" or "Yes with a caveat".

By "No" I mean that if it is your interest to have multiple computers somehow ganged together for a single output this is not possible.

However, you can go the "multi-channel" route using programs like WideView, SymSync, Opus FSI, or P3D Pro.

For example, the simplest case here would be to "multi-channel" two computers as follows:

Server: Runs P3D with all sliders and settings minimized to conserve resources. This computer is not used for visual display per se......so no scenery addons loaded here (for the most part). This computer also runs core ancillary functions like weather download, online ATC communications, ancillary USB hardware connections, your avionics program (SimA or ProSim),  SimLink moving map, charts, etc.  Look at it as your "instructor station" display.

Client: Runs a second copy of P3D with sliders and settings customized to your liking and having scenery add-ons. No ancillary functions or USB hardware connections etc. to conserve CPU and GPU resources.  This computer is used for your visual display only.

The multi-channel programs mentioned above operate by simply "broadcasting" the position of your aircraft from the "server" to the "client" along with injection of weather and AI traffic thereof.

Normally people think of "multi-channel" systems in terms of panoramic multiple views, but such can be used for a single view as described above.

I have used a "multi-channel" system for at least 15 years now.  I am currently using SymSync in conjunction with P3D ViewGroups.  Previously I was using WideView, but SymSync does a better job handling AI traffic in my opinion. Opus FSI does not handle AI traffic at all.  P3D Pro is a disaster in my opinion.

I am using 6 computers....P3D server, 3 for P3D visuals, 2 for SimA avionics.

And before you comment....yes, the maintenance on all that is one big pain in the butt!

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

AAnnillo

John....got it and I replied directly to you.  Thanks as always.

Fred....WOW and THANK YOU.  This is exactly what I was looking for!
Right now, I'm using FSX Gold with Acceleration.  Last week, was using MSFS2020 and while initially impressed, largely due to the scenery experience, have become less so because of lack of the aircraft I want to fly (Boeing 727-200) and lack of add-ons currently available.  I know it is in its infancy and more add-ons and such will become available.  Truth-be-told, I'm very comfortable with FSX and even the previous FS9 version.

I understand that P3D is interchangeable with FSX, somewhat, and will be looking more and more at P3D as time goes by.  This is my return to flight simming after a 15-odd year absence...I get a little nostalgic from time-to-time and like to keep it simple, an oxymoron these days.

I've recently purchased a PC with an Intel I7 and 1TB HD, upgraded to 64GB.  It has a Nvidia GeForce RTX2070 Super 8GB with 480GB SSD+1TB HDD.

Late last night, after I initially posted concerns about the memory issue, I was installing some more MegaEarth scenery, I got a Windows 10 pop-up saying I was running low on memory.  Earlier, I started wondering about 'split' computers, one for scenery and the other for the aircraft nuts and bolts.  The pop-up seemed prophetic!   I am very seriously considering getting another identical computer--the price just dropped $200.00.  I like this computer alot (except for the rainbow flow of colors across the keyboard, mouse and 5 cooling fans) and have had no out of-the-box issues with it.
For me, its all about an immersive experience and I like good scenery!

I am more than grateful for the replies thus far as this gives me more information to start down the path of reasearch.

Thank you very much for taking the time.

Please stay safe and well.

Antny

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate