Welcome to Cockpitbuilders.com. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:36:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PROUDLY ENDORSING

Fly Elise-ng
164 Guests, 0 Users
Members
  • Total Members: 4,154
  • Latest: xyligo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 59,640
  • Total Topics: 7,853
  • Online today: 204
  • Online ever: 582
  • (January 22, 2020, 08:44:01 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 164
Total: 164

COUNTDOWN TO WF2022

WORLDFLIGHT TEAM USA

Will Depart in...

Recent

Welcome

First Flight -- 737 Sim

Started by sagrada737, April 23, 2020, 06:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagrada737

Hello Folks,

Once the Nose Section was placed onto the 6dof Motion Platform, I began to re-locate all the Sim systems.  I finally reached the milestone that allowed me to take the Sim on its first flight in its new home on the Motion Platform.  As they say, "It's alive..."  Below is a photo (missing a few cockpit goodies).

Fortunately, I did not have any major electrical/interface glitches with the systems, and after resolving a few connection and FSUIPC issues and some issues with the warped display, I was able to take it for a flight.  The flight was uneventful, and all the Sim functions worked as expected.   I should state that Sim-Avionics has become very stable as a flight model.  Thanks FDS.

I'm using two PCs for the Sim.   One is for the Sim-Avionics flight model, and the other is for P3D and the graphics display.  These computers are located on roller cart on the floor in front of the Sim.  There is an "umbilical cable bundle" that runs from the computers/power that consists of 7-VGA cables, 4-USB HUB cables, 2-sound cables, 5-HDMI, and 3-120VAC power cables.  All this is routed through the flight Deck.  The umbilical cable bundle is secured both at the Flight Deck and at the Computers, which allows for the necessary extension/flex during motion operation.

With the Sim now fixed to the Motion Platform, I plan to begin testing the 6dof Motion Platform and refining Motion Cues starting next week.  This is going to be interesting, as I already feel a different dynamic with the Sim now in the Nose Section.  I will have to be very careful when doing this testing, as the Motin Platform Servos are very powerful and have the ability to shake your teeth loose, which would spell disaster for the Sim systems.   My current setup for the Motion Cues demonstrates very smooth actuator movements, so expect that the main issue will be in synchronizing the Motion Cues to the projection display, as viewed from within the cockpit.   The Motion Platform will add an entirely new dynamic to the Sim.

Anyway, that's the status.   In a couple of weeks I should be able to have a video that shows the Sim functioning on the 6dof Motion Platform.  Hopefully it will be a good report.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

kattz

Hi, Mike,

Really looking forward to seeing this!

Kev

Trevor Hale

So am I,

Actually, I was fortunate enough to be able to hear Mike's Ideas in person and see this all come to fruition.  Well Done Mike, and congratulations on the milestone first flight.

Trev
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

FredK

Mike...A work of art for sure!

Regarding your comment about being careful about errant behavior by the motion platform mechanism....I am sure you have thought of it, but how and where do you have a "kill" switch located in the cockpit?  Would be convenient to have it right on the yoke I would think.

Fred K
Boeing 737NG-800, Prepar3D v4.5, Sim-Avionics 1.964, SimSync multi-channel (curved screen), Optoma 1080GTDarbee projectors (3), Fly Elise warping, FSGRW weather, FDS OH panels and CDUs, SimParts MIP, FDS SysBoards (OH), CPFlight MCPPro and pedestal panels, FI Gauges, PFC controls, converted motorized TQ (SIOC), Weber seats

sagrada737

Thanks for the comments guys...   Regarding the "KILL Switch"...   You are quite right Fred.  This function needs to be located in the cockpit.  However, I do not want to locate it on the Yoke, as it would be too easy to trip...

My plan is to mount it on the aft side (rear) of the Pedestal.   There are two (2) switches to be located there:  1.  OnLine/OffLine switch 2. The Kill switch.

The "On Line/Off Line switch" allows for power to be applied to the Servo controllers, with all functions active as connected to the Sim, but disables all Motion Cue data going to the Servo Controllers.  It also serves to immediately level the Platform and move the Motion Platform in its Park (low) position.  This is essentially a disable data switch, with the Park function intended for entry/exit of the Motion Platform.  Regardless what motion cues are active during a flight, the On Line/Off Line switch will level the Platform and move it to the Park position.

The "Kill switch" does exactly that...   When pressed in-flight (or at any time), it serves as an emergency cutoff switch, where it immediately shuts OFF 240 VAC primary power to the Servo Controllers, regardless what the Motion Cue Controller is doing.  As such, it leaves the Motion Platform in its last active position.  Placing the Kill switch in its ON position resets the Motion Cue Controller, which commands the Servo Controller to move all the Actuators slowly to their Home location, where each Actuator encounters a microswitch that serves to initialize each Servo position to the Actuator Low position.  When that process is complete, the Motion Platform is at its Low position, ready for motion cue data, and ready to be placed On Line.

For "Start up" of the Motion Platform, the Motion Platform is Off Line and the Kill switch is active.   The 240 VAC power is made active at the circuit breaker panel, then Sim computers are turned ON and the Projectors are powered ON.  At that point, the Motion Platform is in its Low position where one can enter the Flight Deck.  Once the Sim Computers are up and running, the Sim software can be started, with P3D and Sim-A brought online.   It is at this point that the 6dof Motion Software can be started and connect to P3D, with the Motion Cue Controller ready to receive motion data.  When ready, the motion software can be made active to position the Motion Platform in its "ready mode".   Once the Motion Cue Controller is brought On Line, the Motion Platform immediately moves to its operational position.  Thus, if the aircraft is at the Gate, the Motion Platform simply moves all actuators to their mid-position, actively awaiting further motion cue data. At that point, the 6dof Motion Platform is fully active and alive with respect to responding to motion cue data as read from the Sim (P3D) for whatever flight mode the aircraft is currently in.  Typically, this starts out on the Ramp, then Taxi, Take-Off, etc..

For Motion Platform "Shut Down" after a flight, the above is simply reversed...

As an added safety measure, there are parallel On Line/Off Line and Kill switches that will be located at the Ground Level, so the Motion Platform can be disabled by someone outside the Motion Platform for whatever reason.

In addition, there are Red strobe lights beneath the Motion Platform to show that it is powered up and active.

Mike
Full-scale 737-800 Sim; P3d v5.3x with Sim-Avionics (two computers), FDS MIP,  FlightIllusion hardware.  3-Optoma ZH406ST Laser HD projectors, with 4K inputs from a single Nvidia RTX-4090 GPU (new), resulting in a 210 deg wrap-around display.  6dof Motion Platform using BFF 6dof motion software, driven by a Thanos Servo Controller to 6.2 KW Servos, Lever type actuators.

Trevor Hale

I remember Sam telling me about the first time he raised the bridge and the sim did some strange stuff.  Probelm was the position that the sim was in when the kill switch was activated he couldn't open the door in the back of the sim, he was trapped because the controller actually crashed.  It wouldn't return to its home position.  He fortunately had a phone in the cockpit so he could call for help.

Fun times.
Trevor Hale

Owner
http://www.cockpitbuilders.com

Director of Operations
Worldflight Team USA
http://www.worldflightusa.com

VATSIM:

Sam Llorca

Great job Mike, I'm proud of you! and yes be careful I had a few scare on mine at the beginning.

sagrada737

Thanks Sam.  Your Motion Platform was the initial inspiration for my 6dof Motion Platform.  I greatly appreciate the sharing you did on your motion platform configuration.

I was aware of Sam's experience where the motion controller crashed.  This is one reason why I have planned for a gantry type of system, where in the event of a system crash, the cockpit door cannot be blocked.   

In addition, all the Sim's 120VAC power is protected by OnLine Double Conversion UPS units, so in the event of a power outage or glitch, the Sim can be shut down properly.

Mike

fsaviator

Warren "FSAviator"
http://www.B737NG-Sim.com  |  https://www.facebook.com/fsaviator/
P3D45/ Prosim737 2/ ACE Dual-linked Yokes/ RevSim Proline TQ and Dual-linked Rudders/ CPFlight MCP PRO3 and EFIS'; MIP737ICS_FULL and SIDE737; Forward and Aft Overheads; Pedestal/ FDS MIP

Like the Website ?
Support Cockpitbuilders.com and Click Below to Donate